Tip: Don't crash like I did

Sara_Rides

Haha, yea, too bad...in men's I wear a size 8, 12 would be a bit big. Zero has already said I need better boots. He's pretty much on your side with that. He's a gear guy too, lucky for me, otherwise my crash could have been way worse!

I have some Harley Davidson boots on their way to my house right now from what UPS says.

I paid $66 ($92 orig) after 15% Discover cash back and 15% off coupon from shoes.com (dealcatcher.com has the coupon info)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep she's now's definitely a member of the club! After further inspection of the area where the incident took place, (I just got back from picking up the bike) I believe she gave it just a little too much rear as she was on the white painted directional line at the intersection, which we all know tend to be extremely slippery in the pouring down rain. The fact that the rear is a drum brake didn't help either, since they're pretty much "on" or "off". :rolleyes:

I thank you all for the support as well, she was pretty shaken up at first, but she's good now and already wants to get back on the horse. Hell after a few good crashes you barely even notice when they happen anymore. :D Speaking of which, I haven't been down on the street for a couple years now.. aww hell, that means I'm due soon as well. FML.. ;)

And again the nice thing about a dual sport, no bike damage whatsoever, except a scratch on the barkbuster, which of course saved the bars and lever. :)

I found out about the white lines the hard way as well. Used to be they painted them on the road so there was still some traction there now they are some kind of sticker. Slick even when dry.

Glad she's got the nerve back. Sounds like she freaked herself out over it more than it deserved. A couple of deep breaths.... Ok, back at it.

Nice that the bike is ok too!

Glad to hear you're okay. I know this sounds dumb, but I believe to to a degree, a crash can inspire more confidence once you get back on the horse, as you now know what it's like. You survived it, and know why it happened. So, you don't do it again, and don't get nervous next time you are in a similar situation.

Now go make zero's san'wich, girl! :D

Strange but true.

Did you say sammich? Yum sammich...;)

Glad to hear you're okay. I know this sounds dumb, but I believe to to a degree, a crash can inspire more confidence once you get back on the horse, as you now know what it's like. You survived it, and know why it happened. So, you don't do it again, and don't get nervous next time you are in a similar situation.

This hit the nail on the head for me. When I went down within seconds of being on a puplic road for the first time, I was more pissed at myself than anything. I knew exactly what I did wrong and couldn't wait to get back on and have another go. Its good to hear the fall wasn't too bad!

Dont touch that back brake. Its worthless in the rain. Its worthless just about anytime.

Im driving to bike night. I dont ride in the rain.

+1 Now you know! Im just sorry you had to learn that the hard way. I hope your ankle is ok and STAY OFF THE BACK BRAKE! Good luck tonight.

Glad you're ok! I think we all feel a little bit like crying after our first wreck. My defense mechanisms kicked in and I laughed instead

i cursed like a sailor :)

Once all healed up have Zero get you in the dirt and practice locking up that rear tire. Once you get comfortable with it like that you'll be doing it for fun :D

Actually the slower speed slides are harder to deal with then those at speed where Gyro and speed keep the bike more stable while sliding.

So much for 'manning' up. My ankle hurt so bad I went ahead and went to the ER. No breaks which is good but I sprained it up pretty bad and have a bunch of bruises on my legs. They put a splint on my foot and gave me some crutches and pain meds. I was SO planning on coming to bike night on crutches even, but the pain meds knocked me on my ass and I just woke up. SO sorry I missed it...would have been a blast.

Eh, a few hundered pounds of falling motorcycle will do that to ya. Heal up soon, girlie. It sounds as if your man is taking good care of you, and that's giid to hear. (Props, zero!) Get your rest. There will be more bike nites.

Good luck getting back on the bike again, and I hope you can give that rear brake a chance. I started on a FZR600, and went down on day two after grabbing a fistful of front brake coming out of a corner and into a stop sign. Took me a while to regain my faith in the front, but I did.

Heal soon!

Eh, a few hundered pounds of falling motorcycle will do that to ya. Heal up soon, girlie. It sounds as if your man is taking good care of you, and that's giid to hear. (Props, zero!) Get your rest. There will be more bike nites.

Yea, it's not really that bad, I just feel like an idiot, it's like crutches....seriously? Zero is doing a great job taking care of me...I'm sad about tonights bike night though because it was the BIG one, and I missed it...after I promised I was going :(

I have been riding for almost a year and I would NEVER even think about riding in the rain! What were you thinking? I am not sure that was the smartest choice.... sorry...You might want to think about riding dry roads a bit before tackling them in the rain :)

The good thing is you are ok :)

I had a "logical" reason for riding in the rain, lol, didn't turn out the way I wanted but it's cool...had I NOT used the back break I would have made it to work and been completely fine...Zero said that the back break locked on him too, so really it was a mechanical malfunction and not completely my fault. In all reality I could have crashed like that on dry pavement too, a little rain never hurt anybody...oh wait...then why does my ankle hurt? lol, but I'll totally ride in the rain again. doesn't scare me

75 % of your breaking should be with the front 25% with the rear...some will say 80-20....remember to gently ebgage then s;lowly apply more pressure.dont grab a handful of front, it leads to stoppies

I really tried following the guidelines....to be honest I can't say how much rear pressure I was giving it, because I had new boots on that I had never ridden with before, I may have given it way more than I thought, but I always use the front more than the rear, mostly because I have a hard time pressing the rear break...thanks for the tips though

I almost never use my rear brake... I'm pretty certain that I didn't even have it hooked up last time I went out. Since your front break provides the greatest braking power, you should be able to do pretty good without using the rear too often. Its not a bad habit to get into using it, so that when it comes to an emergency braking situation it will be natural, but take it easy!!

At least, that's my understanding :)

I almost never use my rear brake... I'm pretty certain that I didn't even have it hooked up last time I went out. Since your front break provides the greatest braking power, you should be able to do pretty good without using the rear too often. Its not a bad habit to get into using it, so that when it comes to an emergency braking situation it will be natural, but take it easy!!

At least, that's my understanding :)

That's what I keep hearing...thanks hun!!

On my ride last Sat afternoon, I had to do a couple panic stops (OK, I could've made it through the lights, but chose to work on my braking) and I was pleasantly surprised when I realized that I was using the rear fairly heavily, but not to the point of lockup. All instinctively, without thinking.

Rear disc brakes FTW!!! Too bad so many DS and offroad bikes come with drums still!

On my ride last Sat afternoon, I had to do a couple panic stops (OK, I could've made it through the lights, but chose to work on my braking) and I was pleasantly surprised when I realized that I was using the rear fairly heavily, but not to the point of lockup. All instinctively, without thinking.

Rear disc brakes FTW!!! Too bad so many DS and offroad bikes come with drums still!

Yea, any suggestions for how to deal with the whole rear drum thing?