Adding headlights to a RACE upper?

R1_MP

So I want to be able to convert my '05 R1 back in forth from race to street but I don't want to buy OEM plastics again. Instead I would like to buy a good set of race fairings and have them "Done up right".

The problem with that is trying to incorporate headlights... I have been looking at streetfighter lights that I could maybe breakdown and build a bracket to mount them, but I want this thing to look good!

Does anyone have any experience or advice? Smart ass comments can be placed in the next thread please.;)

agree w/sam...

fog lights with quick disconnect would be pimp..

:plus1: I have been trying to figure out a way to posibly do the same thing. I haven't been able to find a way to make a quick disconnect system though.... But I will be honest I haven't really look all to much into it either.

depending on how the stock headlight mounts could you still use it on your bike? if you can you could just fiberglass some mounting tabs on the backside of the upper and not have to worry about making something like fog lights look good

I have been trying to figure out a way to posibly do the same thing. I haven't been able to find a way to make a quick disconnect system though.... But I will be honest I haven't really look all to much into it either.

picture.php?albumid=303&pictureid=3780

quick disconnects are easy.. its the quick reconnects that you gotta work on

Use fog lights. Seen alot of guys with track bikes at the Dragon using them. Makes it legal but wouldn't work for shit at night.

That was my first thought...

Fog lights would be something I would add to the race bike right now. I want to make the new fairings look custom with nicely mounted lights cut into the upper.

Could I use the projectors out of my stock headlights???

I don't see why not but then you're tearing into a stock housing correct? Why not just run down to pick and pull and find a stock round fog light from any car and add a regular or even HID bulb to it? (I might get flammed for even suggesting an HID in a bike)

Here's what I did:

DSC_2916.jpg

bought two auxilary projectors off ebay, fabbed up a bracket for them and cut two holes in the front fairing (well actually I lied, I only cut one, the other one was already there.)

also if you want to get fancy, a guy from my ninja600 forum did this with two projectors:

IMG_1268.jpg

That Black ZX6r looks really mean! Oh and Twin I saw your bike at QSL but no one was around it. I like it.

Thank man, I do my best to keep it operational so I can rep the older sport bikes.

You gonna be at QSL tonight if it doesn't rain?