06' GSXR Overheating issues

tomato_racing

Basically I've prepped the bike for the track but now I'm running into issues. I replaced the OE Coolant with Engine Ice and now the bike wants to overheat! To be honest I'm afraid I might have popped a head gasket but wanted to get some other opinions. Here's the rundown:

-replaced coolant about a month or so ago with Engine Ice

-noticed off and on that the bike seemed to be running a tad hotter than usual (190ish cruising)

-Rode to MidOhio last week and it ran hot within say 20 miles of the track (~200) while at 65 mph

-On the way home from MidOhio It started to run REALLY hot while cruising (220) and reached all the way to 245 when I got pulled into my house. Yes I know this is bad and I might have caused internal damage but I couldn't do much to cool it down.

-Thinking maybe I just needed to bleed it better I went and bought another stupid bottle of Engine Ice to top it off and bleed it. It was a little low when I filled it but the overflow tank was still full?!

-While topping the bike off I rocked it back and fourth and side to side then proceeded to run the bike with the cap off. (I didn't see any bubbles in the radiator like you would normally see with a blown HG)

-Rode the bike again tonight thinking I had fixed the issue and it ran fine on he highway (180@80mph) but when I got down onto city streets it shot straight for 220 and struggled to maintain. I turned the bike off for about 5 minutes and went back to ride low and behold the bike reached 237 just sitting! Mind you this is after maybe 20 minutes of riding.

Sorry for the long read but I don't know what to do from here :(

I think Ill go back to stock coolant and see if that's the issue but everyone raves about Engine Ice.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by tomato_racing

sorry it was late last night when i posted that. anyways, after re-reading what you wrote, it sounds like you bled it right. did you do it exactly like this?

per service manual...

2-18 PERIODIC MAINTENANCE

AIR BLEEDING THE COOLING CIRCUIT

• Add engine coolant up to the radiator inlet.

• Support the motorcycle upright.

• Slowly swing the motorcycle, right and left, to bleed the air

trapped in the cooling circuit.

• Start up the engine and bleed air from the radiator inlet completely.

• Repeat the above procedure until no air bleeds from the radiator

inlet.

• Loosen the air bleeding bolt 1 and check that the engine

coolant flows out.

• Close the air bleeding bolt securely.

• Close the radiator cap securely.

• After warming up and cooling down the engine several times,

add the engine coolant up to the full level of the reservoir.

Engine coolant capacity:

Engine side : 2 400 ml (2.5/2.1 US/Imp qt)

Reservoir tank side : 250 ml (0.3/0.2 US/lmp qt)

Repeat the above procedure several times and make

sure that the radiator is filled with engine coolant up to

the reservoir full level.

You know I dont think I ever cracked the air bleeder with the new coolant. I think I did when I had watter wetter in it but not the Engine Ice. I just need to rebleed it and get the process correct with the whole standing the bike up and when to remove the rad cap etc etc. Who wants to ride to Dublin and double check me and then go for a ride later? lol

I bled it really well last week and it ran ok.... yes just ok. Problem being that I rode quite a bit yesterday, low and behold it got up around 230 again. I went out just now with the bike stone cold and the overflow tank is full... what gives?!

Yes fan kicks and I've bled it and bled it time and time again and the overflow res just fills up and the bike starts to overheat. The bike only has 3500 miles on it, could my radiator cap coinidently gone bad when I swapped coolants?

borrowed a rad cap to put on, no luck there either