Trucks that can haul bikes

smashweights

I'm nearly finished paying off my bike, which means i can hopefully ditch the 97 jetta i've been driving and move on up to something newer and nicer. I've been looking more into a car, but I started thinking recently it would be nice to have a truck to haul the bike back to dayton when i go back to visit the family/friends/girlfriend every other weekend (got to take the dog with me, so can't ride the bike). That and to the eventual track days that will ensue. Anyway, I was looking at trucks last night but I'm not sure which ones will be able to fit a bike. Any one have suggestions?

Go get yourself a doge ram 1500. Hemi. My dad has an 04. 345 hp and 375 lbs torque at stock trim. For being as big as it is, it's pretty fast. The 09 hemi's come with 390 hp and 407 lbs of torque. Definitely fun and i'm sure you will be able to tow whatever you want.

Here's a pic. The one we have looks just like this.

f_17430932_1.jpeg

You can get your bike in the bed of just about any truck with its tail gate down. Just depends on what you want out of it. If its an everyday driver and you're worried about gas mileage... then you shouldn't get a truck unless its a smaller truck like a ranger, canyon, or the small tacoma. Even then your talking about 20mpg. If you're not worried about MPG I say go for the full size truck with a quad cab. Room for the dog, gear and maybe even two bikes in the bed.

Yea with my v6 4x4 tacoma I only got about 18chity and 20highway. It was a fun truck tho. Like noch said, just about any truck will tow 1 bike. If you want to haul 2 in the bed you need something full size, which most of the time will be a V8 and worse on gas. Trucks are great tho. Almost as cool as hauling your bike in an astro van. :D

I'm having a siimilar issue...I have a TTR125, strictly a dirt bike, and I have a 3 year old, I need something to tow my bike but have the option to travel safely with my son and still be able to explore with the bike...good luck on your search! Try those auto trader magazines

I'm having a siimilar issue...I have a TTR125, strictly a dirt bike, and I have a 3 year old, I need something to tow my bike but have the option to travel safely with my son and still be able to explore with the bike...good luck on your search! Try those auto trader magazines

Just get a quad cab truck yo! Perfect for the family and for the toys!! :D

07 Silverado, V6, i get about 20-22 everywhere, pulls more then i ever need it to, i;ve had the back full of wood, and pulled smaller trailers never knew they were ever there. the duc had a 55.3" wheelbase and can close the tailgate, my 78 suzuki gs550, i have to canter it, but it still closes.

truck.jpg

edit: its the shortbed

We have an F-150 with an extended cab and we brought home my F4i in the bed. It fit perfectly with the tailgate up. Put it and Bret's ZX10 in the back of a full sized Chevy when we went to Daytona. Only problem was since we lowered the F4i we now have to place a piece of wood under the rear tire, otherwise the exhaust was too low to close the tailgate.

i'd really like to be able to keep the tailgate up, that'd just make me uncomfortable with it down though i'm sure many people do it with that way. but i really dislike the extended beds but it seems all the trucks have 6.5 foot beds, which the R6's total length is 6.7 feet... i dont mind putting it on the diagonal but it would be nice to take two. Anyone know if those rear tail... grates? on the frontier are removable so a bike can slip in?

Anyone know if those rear tail... grates? on the frontier are removable so a bike can slip in?

You're talking about the bed extender, and yes they work awesome and are removable. I had a Frontier that came with one and I used it all the time. They will work with any truck though, they're adjustable and all you have to do is buy the mounting brackets, which are really simple and could probably make if your creative. :)

i like the look of the colorado's personally for a newer smaller pick up. I've seriously considered buying a smaller pick up on the cheap, like an s10 for $1500-$2000, but I just put a hitch on my wife's minivan and tow whatever with that.

I would say if you're not opposed to a trailer, get a car and put a hitch on it, much better fuel economy and still be able to tkae the bike.

thought about it, i'd personally prefer a car as i'm not really a truck guy, but if i really would like to get into doing track days and riding 2 hours up to mid-ohio on the bike beforehand seems like it'd put a damper on the day.