Tire Support at Nelson

Uncle Punk

I am thinking of going to Nelson Ledges Saturday the 25th for their track day. Does anyone here know if they will have tire support there? I know I could probably find out if I asked on their forum but I really don't want to register with another forum.

Mize Mobil is the ONLY tire guy at the track. He does Bridgestone and Michelin sales and if you didn't buy them from him, he'll chrage ya per wheel...

Thanks, I bought the tires from STG (The four tires for $400 deal) I bought a spare set of wheels last year and never mounted tires on them. I have access to a tire change machine at a shop I used to work at, it just sits in the corner and no one really uses it. I mount the first tire and find out there are no weights around. I mount the second tire and find out there are no internals in the valve stem.

I have a set of tires on the bike from last year that should be used up but were okay when I left Mid-Ohio last September. I was hoping to swap them out once they were done with the new set and just needed to know if someone will be there to finish the job I had started.

I was also thinking about going to Mid-Ohio Sunday if all goes well Saturday. I see that novice and intermediate are sold out. How do you know if you can ride in the advanced class? From what I can find out Nesba has a control rider follow you around in intermediate to evaluate you. I have heard that even if you are a novice racer you usually don't make it into advanced. I tried racing last year and didn't make enough points to get an expert license. (Old slow guy) I rode with STT two years ago in intermediate one day and the next day they had intermediate and advanced running together. I wasn't uncomfortable running with the advanced guys around me.

Thanks, I bought the tires from STG (The four tires for $400 deal) I bought a spare set of wheels last year and never mounted tires on them. I have access to a tire change machine at a shop I used to work at, it just sits in the corner and no one really uses it. I mount the first tire and find out there are no weights around. I mount the second tire and find out there are no internals in the valve stem.

I have a set of tires on the bike from last year that should be used up but were okay when I left Mid-Ohio last September. I was hoping to swap them out once they were done with the new set and just needed to know if someone will be there to finish the job I had started.

I was also thinking about going to Mid-Ohio Sunday if all goes well Saturday. I see that novice and intermediate are sold out. How do you know if you can ride in the advanced class? From what I can find out Nesba has a control rider follow you around in intermediate to evaluate you. I have heard that even if you are a novice racer you usually don't make it into advanced. I tried racing last year and didn't make enough points to get an expert license. (Old slow guy) I rode with STT two years ago in intermediate one day and the next day they had intermediate and advanced running together. I wasn't uncomfortable running with the advanced guys around me.

If you race, you're advanced for STT. We will evaluate you to a degree, but honestly, as long as you can hold your own and not be all over the place, you'll be fine. First event for the year so, a lot of guys will be running slower...

I raced last year but wasn’t necessarily good at it, usually mid pack unless you count formula fatty. I did a total of five track days over three years and got talked into going racing, when I don’t think I was ready. I don’t plan to race this year, just do track days. If I can find some speed at Mid-Ohio I might do the end of year thing that the AMA puts on at Mid-Ohio. Is there any coaching that goes on in the advanced group? My goal is to find three seconds this year at Mid-Ohio, I might not be able to do that but I’m not going to try racing again unless I can get that done. I ran PR5s last year and hope the PR3s will find me some time. For reference I was running back to back 39s there in September. (Transponder not lap timer 05 CBR600RR.)

I raced last year but wasn’t necessarily good at it, usually mid pack unless you count formula fatty. I did a total of five track days over three years and got talked into going racing, when I don’t think I was ready. I don’t plan to race this year, just do track days. If I can find some speed at Mid-Ohio I might do the end of year thing that the AMA puts on at Mid-Ohio. Is there any coaching that goes on in the advanced group? My goal is to find three seconds this year at Mid-Ohio, I might not be able to do that but I’m not going to try racing again unless I can get that done. I ran PR5s last year and hope the PR3s will find me some time. For reference I was running back to back 39s there in September. (Transponder not lap timer 05 CBR600RR.)

Definately in Advanced. I would be willing to help you out one on one and try as best I can to get you the tools you need to go better.

Mid-Ohio is a MUCH better track to learn on in that it offers more challenges that are seen at more tracks than at Nelson. Nelson is more about the smoothest line as opposed to being able to really use all the track in different variations...

Come on out Sunday and we'll get you some help. Getting you 3 seconds isn't going to happen over the course of one day. It might if you are doing something that is holding you back, though. Until I see you ride, I can't tell obviously.

Many different things happen at Mid-O that a lot of riders do that prevent faster laps. They are very simple and when done correctly, make the laps easier to do...

Oh, and if you were doing 39s, you definately shouldn't have been in Intermediate and if I would have seen you out there running that pace, I'd have bumped you up.

I’m not committed to Nelson Saturday; I just haven’t been there since 2006 when I was still running a street bike in the beginning street rider’s school. I thought it might be fun to go there again now that I can run at a faster pace. I liked the track back then but what’s not to like about any track your first time on one. I wasn’t fast enough back then to worry about if the track wasn’t safe or not it was for sure safer than running that pace on the street. There is only five minutes drive time difference for me to go to Nelson or Mid-Ohio so it’s really a wash except for the $45 difference in the track time per day.

The second to last time I was at Mid-Ohio was in 2007 for the ROK day and the promoter practice the following day. I was running a 2001 GSXR750 with some take off racing slicks. I was told the second day from a guy who was following me with a lap timer that I was running 42s. I raced at Blackhawk last year (long story) and did the AMA amateur race at Mid-Ohio in September. I guess the racing year experience found me the last three seconds. Running 39s really wasn’t good enough because Bubba’s son Clint Shobert was running 32s in the novice class and another guy was running 35s. I am hoping 36s are a realistic goal for me but it might not be.

I’m sure you know all about the turnout for that race last year so there wasn’t much competition there. I placed in one of the races and almost placed in another except my bike vapor locked on me. Took the gas cap off, put it back on and it fired right back up. If I can work out the last few seconds I’m looking for I was thinking about running the race again this year.

Really, are you suggesting that track day riding even in the advanced group isn’t going to be the appropriate place to try to improve lap times? I can see that, racing is where you should improve? I had in my mind that advanced sessions were mostly for expert racers and that you needed to be running at least 35s to be at the back of the pack.

Maybe I’ll go to Nelson’s Friday night practice to get that out of my system, then go to Mid-Ohio Saturday and Sunday. I’m not running 36s yet and I do love that track.

Really, are you suggesting that track day riding even in the advanced group isn’t going to be the appropriate place to try to improve lap times? I can see that, racing is where you should improve? I had in my mind that advanced sessions were mostly for expert racers and that you needed to be running at least 35s to be at the back of the pack.

Maybe I’ll go to Nelson’s Friday night practice to get that out of my system, then go to Mid-Ohio Saturday and Sunday. I’m not running 36s yet and I do love that track.

Track day Advanced and racing is quite a bit different. The pack of people will most likely keep you from hitting the 36 mark.. I have seen people in advanced running 47's

You can run fast laps with the track day guys. We've run low :33s easily enough, but not packed. What he is saying is that you can easily work on segments of the track to make yourself better, but clean, complete laps are sometimes hard to come across...

Nelson is going to be a HUGE wake up call for you. It's a pile up there. Pretty rough. To do anything competitive, you are pushing yourself and it simple isn't worth it. I think the fast FT times are :11s and :12s... WERA it is :10s and MUCH lower...

I think you'll find that fast times for Fasttrax to be sub 10s as well. Just not as many doing it. The majority of faster guys will be in the low-teens. Not quite as fast as WERA, but still pretty quick.

Then you got me - that needs to unhook the caboose! Maybe someday I can get my SV running the laptimes it knows it can. Just haven't unlocked it within myself yet.

I think you'll find that fast times for Fasttrax to be sub 10s as well. Just not as many doing it. The majority of faster guys will be in the low-teens. Not quite as fast as WERA, but still pretty quick.

Then you got me - that needs to unhook the caboose! Maybe someday I can get my SV running the laptimes it knows it can. Just haven't unlocked it within myself yet.

Only when Gaige and Peters show. They were the only ones to break :10s.

FT guys have some fast dude, for sure. Just was saying in general (Other than the two mentioned - Oh, and I think Rowles, too), :10s are the fastest times with FT. Typical guys with FT are doing 11s-12s.

No biggie as the track is shit. I used to do low 09s easily and :16s in full dark. Went up there for the first time since 2005 in 07 on a new bike and only could muster :11s due to not comfortable with the track and how rough it got. Was fast enough to secure 2nd in both races with no pressure, but the track was junk then.

I am guessing, but more than likely the faster guys are also racing another series. Right now FT fits for me. Yes, the track is needing some help. Would it be too much to hope for that they have done something before this weekend?? (Not bloody likely!) :rolleyes:

No chance on fixing the track. The track is a great layout and super fun to run, but in race mode and pushing it, there is a TON of safety issues. The locals will dismiss them as they are used to the place and don't run very fast for the most part. WERA Nationals stopped going because the top riders (Reuben at 35 Motorsports almost ended his racing career there) got together and protested racing there anymore until shit was changed. Guess what? Nuttin's changed...

FT is a great place to start racing. Very low key, has a good group of regulars that attend, and they are not as pressure ridden as WERA racing can be at times. That being said, they aren't going to have packed grids and a ton of fast guys there. But, racing is racing and we all start somewhere.

Every event I attended was done well. They've made some changes for the better in terms of the organization, but the track is neglected, but it IS NOT any of FT's doing. It's the owners. My take on it is if the owners don't give a shit about the racers, why support the track?

But, that ends up hurting FT and that's not fair. My feelings are just to cut back in your speed and enjoy the racing. It's what I did when I last went there for a FT event and it was fine.

Nope, no fixes to the track. Not unexpected, of course. They are still working on past turn 1 on drainage or something. Nothing to do with the race surface. I don't know if it would extend run-off though. The good news is that the track didn't seem any worse after the winter than last year.

Damn, damn, damn, I went out and rode Friday night and my bike quit running. That track is bumpy. I had a cracked tray in the sub frame (from a previous of track excursion) that my power commander sat on. It has been cracked for a long time; I have been to Blackhawk, Road America and Mid-Ohio with it in that condition. Well it disintegrated and allowed the power commander to get burned up on my exhaust. That was the end of my night. I never got up to speed because of traffic, so now I understand what flounder was eluding to. Part of it was my fault for not being able to get around traffic. I went there with my Mid-Ohio gearing not expecting to really run hard because I was going to run Mid-Ohio Sunday and was just too lazy to change them. Well I got caught behind a Ducati triple 9 that just kept pulling me on the straights and killing my momentum into 1 and 12. I never established any reference markers because I was following him. He was really a nice guy as I spoke to him just before leaving and his bike is beautiful.

I really like the atmosphere out there and it’s nice to be able to show up on Friday night, pay and go riding. I have been running without a steering damper but really need one if I am going to continue running out there.

Anyone have a power commander for a 2005 CBR600RR they want to sell?