Tax Day Tea Party - April 15th

Casper

you know what, I'm happy this happened.

There SHOULD be consequences for stupidity. This guy took a risk, and it bit him in the ass.

Do I think the government should have to notify you that you're delinquent on your Fire Protection Fees? Of course. Do I think they should give you 120 days to pay before they stop responded to emergency calls? Yes.

But this guy was completely aware of the fact that he hadn't paid, and just thought it didn't matter. That attitude of entitlement is bullshit. He had his chance to pay his $75 just like every one of his neighbors did. They were responsible; he wasn't.

A few points that should also be noted:

- paying a yearly fee for fire protection services is pretty common out West. Not as common in TN, but it's not as strange as it sounds to Ohioans.

- this county VOTED for the fire department to function in this manner. As a result, their taxes are significantly lower.

As far as I'm concerned, this is no different than cities who charge for trash collection. You stop paying, and they stop picking up. I fail to see why fire should be any different. Or is that a "right" now too?

• Upvote 2

you know what, I'm happy this happened.

There SHOULD be consequences for stupidity. This guy took a risk, and it bit him in the ass.

Do I think the government should have to notify you that you're delinquent on your Fire Protection Fees? Of course. Do I think they should give you 120 days to pay before they stop responded to emergency calls? Yes.

But this guy was completely aware of the fact that he hadn't paid, and just thought it didn't matter. That attitude of entitlement is bullshit. He had his chance to pay his $75 just like every one of his neighbors did. They were responsible; he wasn't.

A few points that should also be noted:

- paying a yearly fee for fire protection services is pretty common out West. Not as common in TN, but it's not as strange as it sounds to Ohioans.

- this county VOTED for the fire department to function in this manner. As a result, their taxes are significantly lower.

As far as I'm concerned, this is no different than cities who charge for trash collection. You stop paying, and they stop picking up. I fail to see why fire should be any different. Or is that a "right" now too?

+1

and another thing (probably what I should have said first):

If they HAD put out the fire, why would anyone else in that city ever pay their fire fees again?

They could just wait until their house caught on fire, and then pay what they owed in late fees.

The fire department wouldn't be able to pay their employees, and there wouldn't BE a fire department for anyone.

and another thing (probably what I should have said first):

If they HAD put out the fire, why would anyone else in that city ever pay their fire fees again?

They could just wait until their house caught on fire, and then pay what they owed in late fees.

The fire department wouldn't be able to pay their employees, and there wouldn't BE a fire department for anyone.

It won't let me rep you again. lol

I don't think turning firefighting into a private enterprise is the best way to handle it, but to each their own.

It's easy to armchair quarterback this until you're in a spot of trouble yourself. Not just with fire, but anything you've ever made a mistake and regretted. A little schadenfreude makes you smug, but not evil.

Unless you're the guy who was on the short end of the misfortune-stick. Then it makes everyone else evil.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...