Rotor straightening

xtremef4i

Hey Ruben,

I was sort of directed your way in a conversation about "straightening" warped brake rotors. Here's the deal. My front brake rotors have a very slight amount of run out and I can feel them pulse on a scale of 1-10, maybe a 3 or 4. They have a little run out due to years of use and not from a crash. I dont want to get new rotors because mine are polished and would prefer not to have a new set of rotors sent out to get polished again. Is "straightening" warped brake rotors something you do? If so how much and what is your turn around? Thanks.

Super Streetbike, march 09 edition, has a section called Parts Counter Quack. They addressed this same, as they put it, ridiculous question: I need some new pads and want to get my rotors turned.

The just of the article is if your rotor is warped or scored it must be replaced and cannot be turned.

Good Luck

Oh, so you put them in a vise and bend them back to within a few thousands of an inch or can you just pound or bend ( adjust ) them while they are on the bike. I guess I might try that if I was working on a, how you say, fiddy.

Super Streetbike, march 09 edition, has a section called Parts Counter Quack. They addressed this same, as they put it, ridiculous question: I need some new pads and want to get my rotors turned.

The just of the article is if your rotor is warped or scored it must be replaced and cannot be turned.

Good Luck

I read that article yesterday in my mag. My rotor isnt scored . And Rotors can be straightened just like most other parts. Im just checking my options right now. As for "turning" a motorcycle rotor, according to this guy's website, the pictures show a rotor being turned or resurfaced, whatever you want to call it.

http://www.framestraightsystem.com/Motorcycle%20Brake%20Rotor%20repair.htm

As a mechanic I would never turned rotors that are crossdrilled dimpled, slotted or any kind of heat disapation on it. The blade would get caught in the holes while spinning on the machine. I tried with my old crossdrilleds off my car to see what would happen made a whole lot of noise and threw the blade damn near across the shop

As a mechanic I would never turned rotors that are crossdrilled dimpled, slotted or any kind of heat disapation on it. The blade would get caught in the holes while spinning on the machine. I tried with my old crossdrilleds off my car to see what would happen made a whole lot of noise and threw the blade damn near across the shop

I have heard cross drilled rotors can't be turned and now I see why. The link I posted shows the guy using some sort of rotary stone.

ok, for fixing warped rotors. this is the same concept as truing a bicycle wheel, except without spokes. use a long zip tie and tie to your fork lower by the warped rotor. the end of the zip tie should be perpendicular to the rotor itself and very close, so trim the end accordingly. As you turn your wheel, you should see the deviation of the rotor relative to the zip tie and at the same time hear where it rubs on the brake pads. now you have a reference to what part of the rotor is out of true.

Use any soft surface, but sturdy leverage device (like a 2X4) to bend that part of the rotor back into the direction of true. Do this in small increments until the rotor itself is back in true to your satisfactory. you can use the fork tube or rim/tire as your fulcrum when bending the rotor back.

Overall, this method was successful and I had to fix my rotors.