Typical Track Day Q&A

APCh8r

here is a basic outline of what you will need for track days with STT. If you need anymore info please check out http://www.sportbiketracktime.com

Here goes:

1) Have the bike prepped for track use:

-Tape ALL lenses. That means side reflectors, too. Try and remove all those things as they are a pain in the butt anyways, but if you can't, tape.

-Unplug the headlight and tail light. Reason for the headlight is that it will make a gooey mess of the tape adhesive. The tail is so there is no light whatsoever seen when you brake. If it shows ANY light, you will be sent back to tape it until we can't see it. It is a simple plug you can pull under the passenger seat.

-In Novice group, we do not require removing the anti-freeze. There are good reasons for this, but IF you can, that would be stellar. I'd appreciate it. NOT required and can be a pain in the ass so, no worries if not. IF you do Intermediate or Advanced, it needs removed and you can use a supported additive. I suggest Maxima Kool-Aide or Water Wetter. There are others, but they suck and are hard to clean up. I use what is approved for racing...

-Tape the wheel weights. Again, not required for Novice, but doing it saves you any issues. If they are the clip on style, they still need taped. Use Duct tape - NOT painter's tape.

-Check tire pressures. Typically, a good rule of thumb is 30/30. It's a good place to start with street compound tires. Race tires are lower and depend on the brand/model.

-Check all your oil retaining places like the drain plug, oil fill, and filter. Too often guys change oil and forget to tighten these due to being in a rush. That's bad and will end your day and could result in a fine. No safety wire is mandated except for Advanced. If no safety wire, you can use a silicone to dab on the bolt and oil fill cap to secure it.

-Go over the bike. Check things like frame sliders, swingarm spools, rearsets, levers, etc. for being loose.

-MAKE SURE YOUR CHAIN ISN'T TOO TIGHT. If I had a dollar for every rider who had their chain banjo string tight, I could retire from working. The track will have your suspension working over time and the rear wheel travels a ton. Loosen it up a bit vs. tightening it. I use three fingers on top of the swing arm about 1/2 way from the axle to the counter shaft as a rule.

2) Make sure you as a rider are ready:

-Helmet is DOT/Snell

-Leathers can be 2 piece or 1 piece (preferred). You can use textile based suits or jacket/pant combos that zip together in Novice. Wouldn't recommend them in the other groups.

-Boots need to cover your ankles. We do get work boots a lot, but suggest road race style or similar street style boots for your safety.

-Gauntlet style gloves. Need to cover the wrist and over the jacket or suit. We allow short cuff leather gloves, too...

-Hydrate. Drink at least a gallon of water the day before and drink loads of it the day of. If you are peeing clear, you're good. Keep good fluids like water or even a bit of Pedialyte. Do not drink energy drinks or sugar filled sodas, etc. They rob you of hydration and hurt more than help.

3) Misc. items for at the track:

-Gas. You usually burn 2 gallons per session at times depending on how you run and at what pace. If you get 10 gallons, you are usually good to go.

-Tools. Bring tools. At least the essentials.

-Chairs. You need to sit and relax.

-Food. We get a free lunch (unless an LED event), but you need more than that to keep your energy level up.

4) Luxury items:

-Tire warmers - ONLY if you have race compound tires.

-Canopy.

-generator for the warmers in case you don't have a power outlet.

There are a pile of other items, but this should get you started. Others can chime in on what they bring and other ideas as to what they try and bring.

I usually have enough tools to tear a bike down 100%, have all the needed things like a fan, canopy, generator, warmers, spare rims, tires, fuel jugs, blah, blah, blah. Usually what we would ever bring when racing. That's a little overkill, but we never usually "need" anything...

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
here is a basic outline of what you will need for track days with STT. If you need anymore info please check out http://www.sportbiketracktime.com

Thanks a lot. I've been searching all over for this..Glad to find someone from Ohio that has given it to me. I'm planning on doing the safety wiring anyway because I want to get a lot of trackdays in this year and don't want anything getting in the way.

Thanks a lot. I've been searching all over for this..Glad to find someone from Ohio that has given it to me. I'm planning on doing the safety wiring anyway because I want to get a lot of trackdays in this year and don't want anything getting in the way.

Check out our site as I did a "how to" thread. It covers the basics. Need any help? Give me a shout. I'm north of CBus... (I was Lizard 1 until we sponsored the site...)

Thanks a lot.

It's nice to see a member who realizes that "a lot" is two words, and does not mean that same thing as "allot."

I'm in Parma if you need any help, tools, etc. Brian definitely knows his shit better than i do, but for stuff like safety wiring, I'm competent :)

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Looking for some tire information. I have been to 5 track days at Mid-O and no place else. I see a guy there with a trailer full of tires and the mounting equipment. I assume he sells tires or he will mount your tires for a fee. What type of tires is he selling? What is the cost compared to buying online like STG and getting them mounted locally? Is this typical to all tracks? What other work can I get done at the track such as suspension adjustment? Is there websites for the folks that do this work?

sorry if this is in the thread earlier but I breezed through and didn’t see much on track services. 

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

@jacobhawkins @what Pinging the resident Mid Ohio frequent riders.

To my knowledge there is less rider-type support like that than the average STT or N2 day.

Mark has Vesrah brake pads, tire guy is "usually" there, but as Todd said, better not count on it.  He mounts and balances your tires for $20 each.  He did a set of takeoffs for me and I didnt miss a session.  I'm assuming what he has in stock are appropriately priced.  I think they are Pirelli.  In fact, Mark came around last year and was talking up their tire selection.  Maybe they are trying to make it better.

Some of the coaches at Mid O will help with suspension stuff but I dont know of a "suspension guy" who's there regularly. 

Andy and I got lucky at an STT day over Thanksgiving at Little Tally.  Thermosman was there doing basic suspension setups for free.  Dont know how common that sort of thing is.  I bought a set of tires in advance for the STT day from their tire guy and picked them up at the track.  Really nice.

5 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

Andy and I got lucky at an STT day over Thanksgiving at Little Tally.  Thermosman was there doing basic suspension setups for free.  Dont know how common that sort of thing is.  I bought a set of tires in advance for the STT day from their tire guy and picked them up at the track.  Really nice.

Yea there was a shop doing suspension setups at NJMP WERA weekend last year but it was either get my shit base-lined or ride more. I choose to ride more hahaha.

My shock was just completed yesterday and I hope to bring the SV down to the OR Meat and Greet at @Gixxus Christ! to set my sag. I'll already have the shock setup with the settings.

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

Yea there was a shop doing suspension setups at NJMP WERA weekend last year but it was either get my shit base-lined or ride more. I choose to ride more hahaha.

My shock was just completed yesterday and I hope to bring the SV down to the OR Meat and Greet at @Gixxus Christ! to set my sag. I'll already have the shock setup with the settings.

Come on down, I'll get drunk and adjust your springy-boingers. 

• Haha 1