Grattan: Tell me all about it

Bubba

• 3 weeks later...

Guess since this whole thread was an abortion from the git-go, I'll close it out with more non-2-wheel dialog and pics.

Just returned from a fun week helping a friend with his '87 Lola S2000 vintage race car at Watkins Glen for the VSCDA event. Weather was pretty cooperative but many off-course excursions (by other drivers) meant laps during test sessions and qualifying were limited due to black flags being shown. With Only about 10-12 laps of experience--he'd never raced WG previously--Mike Wright went out and took first in the Saturday race and second on Sunday. Lots of work and blood, sweat, cussing, thrown wrenches, etc....but it turned out to be a pretty successful outing.  Pics of Mike going through safety inspection, on the start grid for Saturday's race, and after his P1 finish.

And in the spirit of Deja-vu, I ran into a couple of old biking friends from the 90s at the Glen, who were there racing in a different class. Good to see folks from the long ago days of riding dirt trails with NKYMBA.  Yeah, I'm the old guy in the middle.

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

241756314_4281891371847851_7485805381986393133_n.jpg

5 hours ago, Tonik said:

Nice pics! Ty for sharing.

How is the pavement there?

LOL.  I didn't actually get out on the track but Mike said it was one of the finest and most fun tracks he's raced.  Nice facilities, pretty good access to many overlook spots and grandstands for viewing.  Showers still had steaming hot water at 10 PM in the evening!!!

I CAN tell you that the walk from Paddock #5 to the start grid is a long f'n hike hauling a battery/tool cart in the hot sun on asphalt.  Told the worthless peckerhead that if he can afford a race car and the $5-6K thousand dollars (his estimate) in travel money, parts money (set of new Goodyear slicks cost $1200!), Sunoco race fuel, etc, for a long weekend, that next year he's springing for a friggin' golf cart....

On a high note, I did lose 5# over the weekend in spite of going thru several cases of beer....ya know, to stay hydrated.

• Beer 1