Front bakes/rotors questions

durk

Before Tory and I left for our Dragon trip I noticed the front brakes pulsing a bit on a couple of rides. It seemed to come and go at times. I thought maybe the rotors were warped, but after removing the rotors to change the front tire it didn’t seem to be there anymore. Thing’s seemed fine still as we made our way down US250. Then when we hit 16 I started to notice a nasty pulse under hard braking. However if I eased into the brakes I could progressively squeeze and get less of a pulse. Things seemed to fluctuate throughout the trip but overall got worse the more we rode. Then coming home today we hit rain and it seemed like the pulsing was less noticeable if at all noticeable. Any ideas? Do I need to try to clean the buttons/rivets that allow the rotors to float? Maybe crap on the rotors themselves? Do you think a pad change would help? The bike has just over 12,000 miles. I’m guessing they are the original pads. @2talltim or @Connie14 do either of you have any insight? I saw some complaints on the Concours forums about the front rotors and all kinds different ideas of what the problem is or isn’t. Tim I think I may have spotted different rotors on your Concours. 

Pulsing brakes on anything is almost always a warped rotor. But wait for those two to speak up before you order a set.

While we wait I would check the floaters and make sure they still float, and don't float too much.

I would also clean the rotors, hit them with a Scotch Brite pad.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Pulsing brakes on anything is almost always a warped rotor. But wait for those two to speak up before you order a set.

While we wait I would check the floaters and make sure they still float, and don't float too much.

I would also clean the rotors, hit them with a Scotch Brite pad.

I was getting it on my 3rd straight rotor when I found one of my caliper bolts was bent.(by the PO, fork end had scratches too) Seems like that would be a constant grind but that was the last thing that finally fixed it. More of a frequency than alignment thing }shrug{

Also not a bad idea

Edited by motocat12
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Yes warped rotors are thing on these in the earlier years. I think in 2012 they started to put thicker rotors on them combat the issue. With yours being an intermitten problem i would for sure start with trying to clean out the buttons. I replaced my rotors at about 45k miles with EBC rotors. Usually stock pads or softer pads it takes longer to warp the rotors, Mine only did after I put EBC pads on my stock rotors. I think one of ebc rotor is a little warpped now too because i hit a retread on the freeway pretty sure it struck the rotor hard. 

• Upvote 1