FJR vs Concours

Scruit

Just hit 10 years on my 2011 Wee and looking to upgrade.  Want to stay with the sport/touring.   Most of my riding is commuting to work, and for the next 10/15 years I expect my commute to be 100 miles a day.

The things I like/dislike about the Wee:

Like:  Tall seating position, reliability, mpg (I get 55mpg)  I have hard cases and top box which are very useful.  Givi adjustable screen which is nice.   I can choose bwteen country roads or slab for my commute and I generally pick the country roads.

Dislike:  Power isn't doing it for me any more (my car is faster).   It's no less powerful than before, I've just outgrown it (in a couple of ways, lockdown amirite?).   All the goodies had to be added (center stand, heated grips, hand guards etc) so the list price of $7.5k wound up being more like $9k.

After a bunch of research I'm trying to decide between a C14 and and FJR.  Seems like the two are very similar, with only a few distinctions between them: (talking about 2021 models)

The FJR is not quite as powerful (but still more power than I need) and has a regular key but has cruise control (which could be huge if I'm doing 50 miles of slab each way to work).  Have heard that they aren't as friendly for taller riders (I'm 6'3)  1 year warranty.

The C14 has more power, prox key and better for my height, but no cruise control.   3 year warranty.

Other than that the two bikes are very similar.   What I really want is more power, like lots more.  65hp isn't enough.  I want to retain the tall seating position and touring doodads (heated grips/hard cases etc).   MPG will be a tradeoff, I know. 

Who here has an FJR or C14, and do you have any thoughts to share?

I have had neither but would vote FJR.

Cruise is huge on the highway. It also received some pretty decent upgrades in 2016. I would want the ES model. The Connie has not been upgraded in forever and is getting really long in the tooth.

Where are you located? You can take my Connie for a spin.

I was also trying to decide between the FJR and Connie.  I found a good deal on the Connie, so they is what I bought.  I couldn't be happier. 

My brother has the FJR, and he really like it. 

You can't go wrong with either bike. 

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

God's speed for that daily commute.

IKR?

Luckily my company is going to a permanent hybrid WFH format so I'll only be in the office 2 or 3 days a week.  🙂  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

I have had neither but would vote FJR.

Cruise is huge on the highway. It also received some pretty decent upgrades in 2016. I would want the ES model. The Connie has not been upgraded in forever and is getting really long in the tooth.

The cruise may wind up being the dealbreaker for me.  I have kaoko throttle lock and crampbuster on the wee but I find dialling the lock to be awkward enough that I just don't use it.  Even if I get it set with the right amount of tension, I'm still adjusting the throttle manually every few seconds.  

I was going to tell you FJR till you mentioned your height. The C14 is a tall boys bike for sure. I rode Justin's FJR a couple times and I was soooo crapped on it. I'm 6'4". The cruise can be added to the C14.  The more plug and play one is very expensive. The other options are reasonable but a pain in the dick to install. I have cruise on mine.

FJR is a little more user friendly when it comes to routine maintenance. But the C14 is a better all around drove train. (I'm my option) 

Connies can be had for stupid low prices if you dobt mind one that's a few year-old. 

Not sure if any of this helps. Between me and @Connie14 I'm sure we can answer all your C14 qiestions.

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

I was going to tell you FJR till you mentioned your height. The C14 is a tall boys bike for sure. I rode Justin's FJR a couple times and I was soooo crapped on it. I'm 6'4". The cruise can be added to the C14.  The more plug and play one is very expensive. The other options are reasonable but a pain in the dick to install. I have cruise on mine.

FJR is a little more user friendly when it comes to routine maintenance. But the C14 is a better all around drove train. (I'm my option) 

Connies can be had for stupid low prices if you dobt mind one that's a few year-old. 

Not sure if any of this helps. Between me and @Connie14 I'm sure we can answer all your C14 qiestions.

I’ve spent thousands and thousands of miles with @2talltim, me on my FJR and he on the Connie. Both bikes have never let us down and they both have their uniqueness. The Connie was not as good ergonomics for me, but I’m under 6 foot. The FJR fit me like a glove. Both bikes have plenty of power and the handle good for their size. Regardless, I don’t think you can go wrong with either bike. 

4 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Is Kawi dropping a new Connie next year? 

They are way behind the EU emissions requirements. They stopped selling in the EU a couple years ago. So I think not. I think it and the Voyager will stay as is until new US sales of them drop to the point it isn't worth it to them.

• Upvote 1

Tonik is making a good point about considering a Wing.  They are not much larger than the Connie.   If I didn't love my Connie so much, I would have one.  It will be the one bike that I get to 100,000 miles,   I think I am close to having my daughters talked into the new Wing.  They are nice!  It will be my next touring bike.

Edited by Connie14
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Connie14 said:

It will be my next touring bike.

Sport touring. :lol:

Nice chart at the bottom of this article shows the differences in the models. The 2021's have a larger trunk. 2020 and 2021 have a slightly different throttle map in sport mode. Those two years also get the driving lights for free.

6 hours ago, 2talltim said:

I rode Justin's FJR a couple times and I was soooo crapped on it. I'm 6'4".

I've heard there is a seat adjustment for the FJR.  Were you riding stock height?    I've also seen feedback that a 5'8" guy found the FJR too big to ride comfortably.

The C14 cruise from McCruise is plug and play, and about a thousand bucks.   Yikes.

I borrowed a FJR for an Iron Butt last year and decided I really enjoy endurance riding. I have been looking at 2014+ FJR's because the cruise is a MUST for long distance slab riding. The Connie not having cruise is a deal breaker! A sport touring bike without cruise is not even a consideration for me. My Ninja H2 SX SE has cruise, both the Connie and The H2 are manufactured by Kaw, I don't get the reasoning for the Connie not having cruise. I would consider the new generation Goldwing, but the extra weight is my only issue.  

1 hour ago, ricer1 said:

I borrowed a FJR for an Iron Butt last year and decided I really enjoy endurance riding. I have been looking at 2014+ FJR's because the cruise is a MUST for long distance slab riding. The Connie not having cruise is a deal breaker! A sport touring bike without cruise is not even a consideration for me. My Ninja H2 SX SE has cruise, both the Connie and The H2 are manufactured by Kaw, I don't get the reasoning for the Connie not having cruise. I would consider the new generation Goldwing, but the extra weight is my only issue.  

The new goldwing hides it weight reallllllly well. I was shocked tbh.

The FJR is 651 lb. wet versus 848 lb. for the Goldwing. If I was going to be touring the country on a regular basis, IMO the wing is the only bike to get!

2 hours ago, ricer1 said:

All those bikes you speak of are fly by wire(if I'm not mistaken) the Connie is still push pull cable throttle. They would have to almost do a complete redesign to make it fly by wire which Kawi isn't ready to do or don't think there is a market to spend the money to do it. That is the main reason for no cruise.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ricer1 said:

The FJR is 651 lb. wet versus 848 lb. for the Goldwing.

Have you sat on a Goldwing? I haven’t ridden 1 but my wife and I went and looked at 21s. My Concours is 650lbs and I can feel it. The Concours carries some weight up high. The Goldwing didn’t seem heavy on the showroom floor. I believe it carries the weight low 🤷‍♂️. Nothing to back any of that up other than straddling both bikes and tossing them side to side.

7 hours ago, ricer1 said:

The Connie not having cruise is a deal breaker!

What is this cruise you guys speak of? I feel like the throttle lock my Concours has is awesome. It’s like I’m riding a touring couch compared to those 500 plus mile days I put in on the CBR. I guess it’s all in one’s perspective and expectations. 

@Scruit my experience so far with the Concours has been great. I’m 6ft and it fits me fine. I don’t know that it would work well if I was much shorter. I do notice the weight at a standstill, but once I get it rolling it handles great and definitely will move. Good luck with your purchase. 

40 minutes ago, durk said:

I believe it carries the weight low 🤷‍♂️. Nothing to back any of that up other than straddling both bikes and tossing them side to side.

Very low. Look at the engine compared to the axles. Very low. The tank is mostly under the seat and goes more down than back. The other thing they did was the double wish bone suspension. It's purpose is to create a suspension where the wheel moves mostly straight up and down. That allowed them to move the engine forward a great deal. That helps balance and makes it handle far more sporty. It also means no triple t or forks that come all the way up. Less top weight.

There are three kinds of street motorcyclists these days.

Those that have a new wing.

Those that want a new wing.

Those that have not realized yet they want a new wing.

• Beer 2
  • Upvote 2

They're also another $10k above the Connie and FJR in MSRP. If 2-up isn't a thing and sticking to the budget is... then I would buy the FJR. If a deal was to be had, I could buy someone's gently-used Concours snce it's still the same thing as the brand new one. Warranty schmarranty. Might as well save myself $12k and buy a garage queen. Honestly, the same goes for the FJR. I could live with manually adjustable clickers on a 1-up sport-tourer and save myself $10k AFTER I dropped $2k on the suspension. Electronically controlled damping and preload is nice, but on the FJR it isn't THAT much better than  a quality shock and cartridge setup. A brand new Concours is no more reliable than an older one and the same mostly applies to the FJR. 

I know you didn't ask for any of the above advice. 

On 6/24/2021 at 10:21 PM, Tonik said:

Sport touring. :lol:

Nice chart at the bottom of this article shows the differences in the models. The 2021's have a larger trunk. 2020 and 2021 have a slightly different throttle map in sport mode. Those two years also get the driving lights for free.

If the offer still stands, I would like to take your bike for a spin some time.  I took two of my daughters up to Iron Pony today to purchase some next size riding gear for an upcoming trip to the OBX.  They are now down for the new Wing.  I may be able to get one sooner than I was thinking.