Route request in the TN, NC, KY, VA area

Blitz

Hey guys,

I've ridden these roads perhaps half a dozen times with some of you and I know these areas fairly well, but I am headed down with some guys that haven't ridden most of the roads outside of the TotD area and I'm leading, so I need maps.

I'd like to take two days from the Gap back to Ohio. If I recall, it's possible to loop in Rocky Top, TN (Coal Creek Smokehouse) with Devil's Triangle and Brushy Fork as well as 421 the Snake while ending in Marion, Va. Am I wrong in my recollection? Looking at the map, that seems like a long trip. If that's not possible, please provide routes from the Gap to the 421 area and back of the dragon ending in Marion. I know that's possible..... I think.

I know from Marion, I essentially take 16 North to get home. Any other suggestions from Marion to get back?

Also, any routes you guys have of the Gap area would be appreciated. I would really like to loop in Blood Mountain. I do know the Wolfpen Gap to Clayton, GA, back over the Cherohala route. Any riffs on those would be great too. If possible, please post maps or GPS data files.

The combined motorcycle route knowledge in this forums is immense. Thankful for all that you guys know.

1 minute ago, Tonik said:

@BlitzBefore I map this all out I need clarification. You want a 2 day run mapped that gets you from the Gap to home and hits as much of the above as you can?

Yessir, that's correct.

If the route from the Gap to the Devil's Triangle to Marion is too long (over 350 miles) then just get me from the Gap to Marion, including 421, and if you could include a loop from the Gap back to the Gap that includes Devil's Triangle and Coal Creek that I could do another day while down there, that would be great.

Thanks Jim! Would also love any other routes of the area you have, just to browse through.

1 minute ago, Tonik said:

And what is your plan for getting down there?

Not sure yet. I'll be solo going down, so I was considering meandering through KY. Would love any ideas you have for that. Blank slate!

6 minutes ago, Blitz said:

Not sure yet. I'll be solo going down, so I was considering meandering through KY. Would love any ideas you have for that. Blank slate!

One more question. How many days total for this? Would you be open to leaving the evening before. So for example if you are doing Thur through Sunday would you be open to leaving Wed after work.

33 minutes ago, Tonik said:

One more question. How many days total for this? Would you be open to leaving the evening before. So for example if you are doing Thur through Sunday would you be open to leaving Wed after work.

So, the plan is the 10-15 of July. We have the AirBnb for the 10-13 and Marion, VA the night of the 14th. I probably couldn't get away with leaving Ohio on the 9th and I don't think the guys will want to leave the AirBnB on the 13th. So it's probably a no, for leaving the evening before.

24 minutes ago, Blitz said:

So, the plan is the 10-15 of July. We have the AirBnb for the 10-13 and Marion, VA the night of the 14th. I probably couldn't get away with leaving Ohio on the 9th and I don't think the guys will want to leave the AirBnB on the 13th. So it's probably a no, for leaving the evening before.

Lol, more questions.

Where is the Airbnb?

31 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Lol, more questions.

Where is the Airbnb?

Essentially it's at the base of the Cherohala. 
3094 Santeetlah Rd, Robbinsville, NC 28771

Ok, gonna leave the 10th up to you. It is 7 hours by slab to there from CBus.

11th Tonik's famous route. If you go clockwise you will be too early to eat at Cafe Rel. If you go counter clockwise you have to go across the Skyway in the morning and it may be damp/wet/foggy.  https://goo.gl/maps/BPzHpxaD6anWqKvV6

12th Do this one clockwise so you get past Gatlinburg before the tourist clog the roads. In Maggie Valley is the Wheels Thru Time Museum and Carvers Maggie Valley Rest. for Brown Trout.  This is also a second shot at an early dinner at Cafe Rel.   https://goo.gl/maps/92QKZpFcTC8aR12aA

13th I would round trip the Devils Triangle area, gonna be hard to hit that on the way to Marion since it is totally in the wrong direction. Unless from Rocky top you slab it. And you will miss the really fun way to get there that I am going to suggest for the 14th. This is one way to Rocky Top and Coal SmokeHouse and the two sides of the triangle you want. Return you can slab through Knoxville (not far or bad) or you can come back the same way but cut off the two sides of the triangle and use 330 to short cut it.  https://goo.gl/maps/pUceeUXoL5iMaMpb6

14th To Marion. Beginning is lame but not bad. Then you get Crabtree, 209, 212 and all that. Crabtee is paved, but I have not been on it in a few years. It could be rough. https://goo.gl/maps/VRrGprbfdvB7hMQj7

15 Straight up 16 until you run out of time to get home then you grab the slab. Marion to Beckly is the best part but it is all really good.  https://goo.gl/maps/GCaUDW4S6Db7cHpJ6

• Upvote 2

Oh, and don't be sucked in at Bushy Mountain. It is an ATV area now and they have this fake moonshine and shitty BBQ. Hold out for Coal Smokehouse. And watch for the mud on that section of Devils Triangle. The ATV'ers have kind of taken that area over.

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Ok, gonna leave the 10th up to you. It is 7 hours by slab to there from CBus.

11th Tonik's famous route. If you go clockwise you will be too early to eat at Cafe Rel. If you go counter clockwise you have to go across the Skyway in the morning and it may be damp/wet/foggy.  https://goo.gl/maps/BPzHpxaD6anWqKvV6

12th Do this one clockwise so you get past Gatlinburg before the tourist clog the roads. In Maggie Valley is the Wheels Thru Time Museum and Carvers Maggie Valley Rest. for Brown Trout.  This is also a second shot at an early dinner at Cafe Rel.   https://goo.gl/maps/92QKZpFcTC8aR12aA

13th I would round trip the Devils Triangle area, gonna be hard to hit that on the way to Marion since it is totally in the wrong direction. Unless from Rocky top you slab it. And you will miss the really fun way to get there that I am going to suggest for the 14th. This is one way to Rocky Top and Coal SmokeHouse and the two sides of the triangle you want. Return you can slab through Knoxville (not far or bad) or you can come back the same way but cut off the two sides of the triangle and use 330 to short cut it.  https://goo.gl/maps/pUceeUXoL5iMaMpb6

14th To Marion. Beginning is lame but not bad. Then you get Crabtree, 209, 212 and all that. Crabtee is paved, but I have not been on it in a few years. It could be rough. https://goo.gl/maps/VRrGprbfdvB7hMQj7

15 Straight up 16 until you run out of time to get home then you grab the slab. Marion to Beckly is the best part but it is all really good.  https://goo.gl/maps/GCaUDW4S6Db7cHpJ6

This is so good, my friend.  I appreciate it more than you know. And the guys that I'm sharing it with will appreciate it too!

If I had one request for extra credit.....  I'm going solo from Ohio down. The other guys are slabbing it. So I could potentially stay in a hotel in KY on the 10th. Do you have any suggestions for 2 days getting there that aren't 16? Something through Kentucky?

No need to to work on it tonight. Just something I might consider. Thanks again Jim! This is really great!

• Beer 1

I do know that KY-7/550/80/421/70 is a fun, winding route that will take you straight to the TN/KY border. Then you can hop on I-81S in to Knoxville

Or.. yo u can stay on 70/208 into Hot Springs and take 209 to Clyde and pick up 215 to Lake Toxaway and take US-64 to Franklin for Cafe Rel. 

Just off the top of my head... 😁

• Upvote 1

I'll be in the area, arriving the 11th, riding with my buddy Dave the 12th-16th, and staying in Sylva at the Holiday Inn on 74.  We'll be trailering down so we'll have a tow vehicle and tools, etc.

We don't really have any plans for any specific rides, but would like to meet up with you guys for a part of a day or a dinner.  I also understand if your group is already big enough...

Thanks to Tonik, I just added dinner at the brown trout place to our agenda.  And I have to ask, Is Caffe Rel really that good?

3 minutes ago, MSerfozo said:

And I have to ask, Is Caffe Rel really that good?

Fuck yes. You have to get a bowl of the blue crab bisque. Not a cup. A bowl.

Cash only. Do not sit down before your whole group is there...like if you are meeting other people there.

1 hour ago, MSerfozo said:

I'll be in the area, arriving the 11th, riding with my buddy Dave the 12th-16th, and staying in Sylva at the Holiday Inn on 74.  We'll be trailering down so we'll have a tow vehicle and tools, etc.

We don't really have any plans for any specific rides, but would like to meet up with you guys for a part of a day or a dinner.  I also understand if your group is already big enough...

Thanks to Tonik, I just added dinner at the brown trout place to our agenda.  And I have to ask, Is Caffe Rel really that good?

I've been down there like 6 times and every time I have Caffe Rel on the list and don't make it there, for whatever reason.

Happy to have you guys along on any ride while we're there. I'll PM you my cell number. We'll have to link up.

5 hours ago, Pauly said:

So many options in KY. I will get something built tonight or tomorrow. Do you want to come out in Knoxville or closer to Townsend? 

Would probably prefer to come in near Townsend instead of Knoxville. I'll ride the Foothills Pkwy to the Dragon instead of going through the traffic.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Blitz said:

I've been down there like 6 times and every time I have Caffe Rel on the list and don't make it there, for whatever reason

I plan my routes and days based on their hours of operation.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I plan my routes and days based on their hours of operation.

I know you do. That's why I never make it when they're open because they have odd hours. Though their reputation is good enough that I need to make it a point to eat there this time.

7 hours ago, Tonik said:

Fuck yes. You have to get a bowl of the blue crab bisque. Not a cup. A bowl.

Cash only. Do not sit down before your whole group is there...like if you are meeting other people there.

+1 on Caffe Rel, and Tonik is 100% right, go for the bowl, not the cup 😂

• Beer 1