Winter maintenance time and the chain gang

mello dude

Winter Teardown?  WTF. 😕 thats not till late Jan/Feb.

Getting ready to truck down and ride the Taladadga National Forest region for two days. Gravel, Skinny asphalt with great overlooks of  the region on the V-Strom.

Next week end is primary unless more testicial tightening restriction are implmented.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, B-Mac said:

Winter Teardown?  WTF. 😕 thats not till late Jan/Feb.

Getting ready to truck down and ride the Taladadga National Forest region for two days. Gravel, Skinny asphalt with great overlooks of  the region on the V-Strom.

Next week end is primary unless more testicial tightening restriction are implmented.

O, and I go with steel Sprockets.

Sunstar Steel OE Replacement Motorcycle Sprocket

RK 525 GXW XW-Ring Chain

• Like 1

I've only had chain/sprocket issues with bikes that I've bought used. I had to replace one chain because it was so rusted and neglected that it had kinks in it. I had to replace a rear sprocket on a different bike because it had an aluminum sprocket.

Any bike I've bought new kept the original chain and sprocket until sold. Maybe I don't keep them long enough to wear out a chain or sprocket. My last bike went 21K miles and the bike prior to that was 16K miles. My current bike has 18K miles and the chain/sprocket look like new still. I do clean them between every ride with WD40 though.

59 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

I've only had chain/sprocket issues with bikes that I've bought used. I had to replace one chain because it was so rusted and neglected that it had kinks in it. I had to replace a rear sprocket on a different bike because it had an aluminum sprocket.

Any bike I've bought new kept the original chain and sprocket until sold. Maybe I don't keep them long enough to wear out a chain or sprocket. My last bike went 21K miles and the bike prior to that was 16K miles. My current bike has 18K miles and the chain/sprocket look like new still. I do clean them between every ride with WD40 though.

Even on the 1000rr?

29 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

Is it a bad thing that I don't even know what kind of oil is in my bike. Actually I don't even care what kind is in it, I don't keep a bike forever. My current bike probably won't see 25K miles with me owning it.

I thought you loved that bmw!

I had a Hayabusa that I put 16K miles on that only saw WD40 as a way to clean the chain. Never lubricated the chain with anything else after cleaning it. Even used a pressure washer on the chain when at a car wash. The exact routine was used on the CBR1000RR which I sold at 21K miles with the original chain/sprockets that looked like new. I'm using the same routine on the BMW and at 18K miles can't detect any wear.

I do really like the BMW for an all around bike it does trips and backroad riding just fine. I really miss having a fast bike though. The BMW is quick up to 120 MPH but it just doesn't feel fast, I'm constantly waiting on it to accelerate. I haven't done as many long trips as I thought I would so the traveling comfort isn't as big of a plus as I thought it would be. It's main selling point for me was the quickshifter/autoblipper which is starting to pop up on most bikes currently that are fast and don't have the weight penalty the BMW carries.

Bike sales and inventory are crazy this year which will most likely have me stay with the BMW longer than I want to since I haven't come across any great deals worth switching for. The BMW is right at 18K miles and will be getting the 18K service done before riding it next season which is a major expense. 

5 hours ago, Uncle Punk said:

My TL had 45k  the original chain and sprockets. I changed them proactively not because they were worn that bad.

3 hours ago, Pauly said:

I used to use only WD-40 on my chains, but I wasn't as diligent as UP with cleaning after each ride. My go-to was Maxima Chain Wax on the Multistrada. Best move I made was ditching all of it for shaft drive. 

I don't do it after "every" ride but for the most part I do. Most of my rides are 350 to 500 miles so it always gets done after any of them. It's a fast easy process when you don't put any type of grease or wax on them. Just clean them with WD40 and that's it.

41 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

My TL had 45k  the original chain and sprockets. I changed them proactively not because they were worn that bad.

I haven't had a bike with over 21K miles so I don't know when they wear out. According to some taking care of a chain the way I do is bad for them and they won't last long. I don't know how long they are supposed to last but I'm happy with my results with so little effort.

15 hours ago, Uncle Punk said:

I do really like the BMW for an all around bike it does trips and backroad riding just fine. I really miss having a fast bike though. The BMW is quick up to 120 MPH but it just doesn't feel fast, I'm constantly waiting on it to accelerate. I haven't done as many long trips as I thought I would so the traveling comfort isn't as big of a plus as I thought it would be. It's main selling point for me was the quickshifter/autoblipper which is starting to pop up on most bikes currently that are fast and don't have the weight penalty the BMW carries.

Bike sales and inventory are crazy this year which will most likely have me stay with the BMW longer than I want to since I haven't come across any great deals worth switching for. The BMW is right at 18K miles and will be getting the 18K service done before riding it next season which is a major expense. 

What new liter bike are you looking for? I personal friends with the owners of Barnes Bro's in PA and they've been known to give good deals. If you're in the market for a suzuki, ktm, kawi, or yamaha. 

Edited by TimTheAzn

I thought it would be fun to have a 890 Duke and it would be once I make it to the curvy roads but it is slower than the BMW so unless I figure out how to have two bikes again that choice is out.

Currently stalking the new ZX10R, it has everything I think I'm looking for. Too new for any deals yet so I'll wait. I could go with a leftover old generation bike and buy a tune that gives it an autoblipper but I like to leave my bikes stock.

Thanks for the offer but I have pretty good resources for Kawasaki, BMW, Yamaha and KTM.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Uncle Punk said:

I thought it would be fun to have a 890 Duke and it would be once I make it to the curvy roads but it is slower than the BMW so unless I figure out how to have two bikes again that choice is out.

Currently stalking the new ZX10R, it has everything I think I'm looking for. Too new for any deals yet so I'll wait. I could go with a leftover old generation bike and buy a tune that gives it an autoblipper but I like to leave my bikes stock.

Thanks for the offer but I have pretty good resources for Kawasaki, BMW, Yamaha and KTM.

Ah yea forgot you have some close ties to Kennedy's iirc.

If you have any questions about the last gen (not the one that just came out) you can probably ask @blue03636 he's been balls deep into his for a couple years now. His is set up really well and has been reliable.

Edited by TimTheAzn

I'm a big fan of EK chains.   I used to run RK chains and didn't mind them.  but it seems like they're getting harder to find.  and when you do the options are even less and out of stock.  I did buy one of their new RK Maxx chains in a 520 size and it only lasted one ride with the R1 beating on it. 😂  it developed an extreme tight spot. it was so bad the tach was jumping like the motor was cutting out or something.  I went home and spun the wheel and it was for sure the chain.   i now run a 520 EK MVXZ. been on it for probaly 3 years.  didn't have any of the stretch problems like the RK chain.  now granted the RK maxx is a economy chain.  I just couldn't find the GXW or XSO series chains at the time.  so I got the EK.  this is the 2nd or 3rd EK chain i've had and i've never regretted it.  they look better than the RK chains too. 

as for a tool i've never had a high end brand name chain tool until I got sick and tired of junk ones I got on ebay for $35.  I bit the bullet and paid for the new motion pro PBR chain tool.   let me tell ya,  it was the best money ive spent on almost anything in my life.  you literally do not need to cut or grind off the heads of a stock chain rivet.  it will push them out like they're butter. i've always had to cut the chain off or grind the heads off with every cheap chain tool or the pin would bend or break.   and installing a new chain and mushrooming the ends is a breeze.  it's probably the best chain tool made right now.

I absolutely recommend Driven sprockets also.  have been using them for years. not one of them has let me down.  and they last for a long time.  I now use driven steel rear because the R1 is tough on parts.

anyway here's what my RK maxx chain did after only one ride.  poor thing couldn't handle 160+ hp 🤣

Edited by serpentracer