New to me bike

durk

20 minutes ago, B-Mac said:

Well done. Very nice. Congrats. Trade in your tail pack for a duffel bag now so I will recognize you.

Thanks B. I’m thinking trunk with backrest for the passenger. Leaning towards Kawi 47L. 

Took the Concours out tonight for about 1.5 hrs. I wanted to push the SPORT side of sport touring. Prior to leaving I had stiffened up the suspension to near max. It handled way better at speeds I like to travel. The bike felt lighter and more flickable. It’s not the CBR by any means but it handles well and was pretty fun to ride. I feel like if the suspension was improved the bike would handle even better. 

• Beer 1

On 11/15/2020 at 8:38 AM, durk said:

Thanks Mark. Agree on low mileage bikes that just sit around. The gas cap lock was actually stiff. I had cycle it like 20 times to get it working as it should. 

The inside of the cap gets corroded, there is a how too some where on how to disasemble and clean it up. I will get worse and to the point it wont open. I did mine twice before I said screw it and put on a Vortex cap.  

22 hours ago, durk said:

Took the Concours out tonight for about 1.5 hrs. I wanted to push the SPORT side of sport touring. Prior to leaving I had stiffened up the suspension to near max. It handled way better at speeds I like to travel. The bike felt lighter and more flickable. It’s not the CBR by any means but it handles well and was pretty fun to ride. I feel like if the suspension was improved the bike would handle even better. 

I have mine cranked down tight too, always have. There aren't any stiffer springs for these I've checked high and low. The stockers are 1100kg. These are cartiage forks and you can change the valveing in them but most say it's not that good of an improvement for the money spent. Some guys put 10wt oil in them I stuck with the 5wt. Just a fluid change to new clean fluid made mine feel much better. Fork bushings are not changeable. Once you get used to the weight you'll be almost as fast as the CBR with twice the comfort. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 2talltim said:

The inside of the cap gets corroded, there is a how too some where on how to disasemble and clean it up. I will get worse and to the point it wont open. I did mine twice before I said screw it and put on a Vortex cap.  

It’s all good now after I cycled it repeatedly. I’ve filled up twice now with no issues. 

3 hours ago, 2talltim said:

I have mine cranked down tight too, always have. There aren't any stiffer springs for these I've checked high and low. The stockers are 1100kg. These are cartiage forks and you can change the valveing in them but most say it's not that good of an improvement for the money spent. Some guys put 10wt oil in them I stuck with the 5wt. Just a fluid change to new clean fluid made mine feel much better. Fork bushings are not changeable. Once you get used to the weight you'll be almost as fast as the CBR with twice the comfort. 

I was hoping you would chime in here. Does the bike feel a bit like a pogo stick when pushed in corners? It almost feels like the suspension bottoms out and then there is a spring back and I lose feel of the road through the bars. After today’s ride I did start to get a little more comfortable with it, but it is a little unnerving. It does seem that I can help things if I accelerate/roll on harder, but it still can feel vague. Some of it may be I need to improve as a rider, but I get the same sensation at higher speeds going straight over bumps that the CBR never reacts to in this manner. Again this is why I think it’s almost a bottom out of the suspension and then an unloading.  I’ve only put 200 miles on it. It just may be me and given time I’ll adjust. I’m pretty sure you mentioned before you went from a sport bike to the Connie. Did you have to adjust your riding style or slow down a bit with the Connie?

8 hours ago, durk said:

I’m wondering if this could be some of my problem. 

k3QaT9e.jpg

That gold part is stamped Muzzy’s. I’m thinking it’s an aftermarket lowering link. 

If thats a lower link I'd yank that thing off. You probably don't have the original one though. 2 reasons. One if you value your oil drain plug. And two lowering these things totally takes away from the handling so ive heard. 

What do you have your rebound set at? I running 2 clicks out. 1 line showing on front preload. Tires at 42 F and R. Want to say 10 clicks out on rear preload and 3 or 4 out on rebound(id have to check those)

I run my stuff tight. Can't say I notice any bouncing. Then again ridden her for 70k miles and 7 years I can't compare to much.

Edited by 2talltim

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

If thats a lower link I'd yank that thing off. You probably don't have the original one though. 2 reasons. One if you value your oil drain plug. And two lowering these things totally takes away from the handling so ive heard. 

I did some research and it seems that is a lowering link. From what I read on forums on it, the link definitely hinders the handling. It changes the rake. I don’t have the OEM. I looked it up on my local Kawasaki dealers website. It’s $65 for the part. I’ll order it Monday. As far as the drain plug at least they did not drop the front by pushing up the forks in the triple. I plan to get the link swapped out ASAP. 

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

What do you have your rebound set at? I running 2 clicks out. 1 line showing on front preload. Tires at 42 F and R. Want to say 10 clicks out on rear preload and 3 or 4 out on rebound(id have to check those)

Front preload is near max. The manual says the max is 4mm and I have it set near 5mm. The rebound is 3 clicks out. I set the rear preload to like 3-4 clicks out and the rebound doesn’t have clicks. I have it set 3/4 turn out. Before I mess with it anymore I want to get the link swapped out. Tires are 42 rear, 36 front. 

Edited by durk

Decided on the trunk I’m going to go with is this. 

YmJMwBq.png

Shad SH48. It looks pretty comfortable and comes with the pad. If it’s not comfortable I’ll go with the backrest @Connie14 posted in the other thread. Stock dog bones for rear suspension are ordered, but they’re on back order. Guess I’ll have to wait till spring to dial it all in. 

3 hours ago, Pauly said:

Can you find used dog bones on ebay? 

When I originally searched I did not. Since new was only $65, I figured I’d go that route. The dealer told me 4-6 weeks, so no big deal. If we get some good weather between now and then I still have the CBR. 

4 hours ago, durk said:

When I originally searched I did not. Since new was only $65, I figured I’d go that route. The dealer told me 4-6 weeks, so no big deal. If we get some good weather between now and then I still have the CBR. 

There are two of them correct?  One on each side. Too lazy to go look at my bike

• Upvote 1