250 at a track day...

redkow97

Fiancé is disappointed that we can’t street music SV.  Wants a street bike. 

my plan is for her to learn, and get her on the track with whatever street steed we end up with. 

thinking EX or CBR 250 would be best for her to learn on, and enough for us to hoon around town, but i would like to get her on the track at some point, and i worry about a slow newb in beginner group with a 250, surrounded by 100+ horsepower machines...

with that acknowledged, I’m looking at street legal SV’s, which would obviously pull both of us around a lot better, but would be big for her to learn on...  maybe buy the 250 now, buy an Sv this winter, and sell the 250 in the spring?

but the original question remains: is a 250 too small for peace of mind at a beginner trackday? 

I would suggest an r3 if you're looking at small small bikes. More aftermarket support and more parts/set up knowledge in any given paddock.

There are r3's circulating in our intermediate group and they do just fine with the right pilot it's just a different riding style. You don't brake LOL.

@Reactor

Has or had a 250 he raced. The Kawasaki's have the most power out of the 250s. The 300 and 400 are good too. Honda user a 1 cyl. engine, Kawi is 2. 

The KTM 390 is awesome on track from what I have heard.

Edited by snot

A couple guys brought their 125cc 2-strokes out last time I was at MidOh... those were fun to watch, and smell, and pass.  They were super complimentary on how courteous the passes were. 🤣

Circling back though... your OG plan to get her a Gen1 SV has my vote.  Pros -- spare bike if YOU need it, plenty fast, fun for riders from n00bz to advanced at any trackday.  Cons -- I suppose first gens are slightly harder to find in decent condition, but other than that, I see almost zero downsides.

10 minutes ago, Disclaimer said:

Circling back though... your OG plan to get her a Gen1 SV has my vote.  Pros -- spare bike if YOU need it, plenty fast, fun for riders from n00bz to advanced at any trackday.  Cons -- I suppose first gens are slightly harder to find in decent condition, but other than that, I see almost zero downsides.

Carbs tho....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, snot said:

You would be surprised at how many race them. Ninjette forum is full of them.

I know how much 300's/400's are raced lol.

But no track org is going to cover track rental costs at a big bike track only allowing 400cc and under bikes as participants. 

• Upvote 1

there's been a ninja 250 (older ones) at the last 2 track days I was at. I think they were both in novice.

the 250 she'll ride is better than the 650 she think is too heavy or whatever. I've fought that battle before

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I know how much 300's/400's are raced lol.

But no track org is going to cover track rental costs at a big bike track only allowing 400cc and under bikes as participants. 

RC cup and Moto 3... But that is race.

The Ninja 300 is a blast on the track. I've brought mine to Palmer Motorsports for a total of 5 days, and there were several of them sprinkled throughout the different groups. As long as your fiance stays predictable, faster riders will have no problem passing her safely. 

On 9/8/2020 at 12:09 PM, motocat12 said:

street music?

This year would probably be the best ever for a 250 on the track as long as you don't get canceled. Would it be fun in a group of 20, no. in a group of 8, not as bad.

I think it auto corrected street hooning 

On 9/8/2020 at 2:59 PM, Disclaimer said:

A couple guys brought their 125cc 2-strokes out last time I was at MidOh... those were fun to watch, and smell, and pass.  They were super complimentary on how courteous the passes were. 🤣

One of them was my friend Jeff. 

• Upvote 1