GL500 SilverWing Interstate

ShredTheTag

So last fall my front forks started to sag a little bit. Not terrible but noticable. This spring I set it up straight of the side stand and the front forks pretty well collapse. I added some air and they came up some but not to where I remember they used to be.

So I'm working on the stance and I think it's better but the front air forks are just not stiff enough. Changed the fork oil with 215ml in each fork, using 50/50 ATF/10w30. (Read  quite a few people are using this blend and like it) Forks definitely feel more consistent but still just weak feeling. Any suggestions? Tubes, springs, trees, what can I do?

IMG_20200818_170145342_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200818_170057372_HDR.jpg

7 hours ago, MSerfozo said:

New springs is the right answer but you can probably get your ride height back by adding a spacer on top of the spring.

I added a 1.5" spacer when I changed the fork oil. Helped some with the preload but not so much the height. And it was a total pain ITA. I read some guys had no problem. Mine fork caps about got my face a time or two with a nice spring driven backfire . I don't really want to spend a bunch of money. But I definitely want a more aggressive feel.

Yes progressive springs. Air adjustable progressive springs. .......🤬 . I got this bike as a gift from my Dad. Something he traded for something he got on a trade for something. Idk I'm not super attached to it and he even said if I can trade up, there's nothing wrong with that. I really enjoy the history of motorcycles and this GL500 SilverWing definitely fits into the more interesting side of Honda Engineering.

12 hours ago, ShredTheTag said:

I added a 1.5" spacer when I changed the fork oil. Helped some with the preload but not so much the height. And it was a total pain ITA. I read some guys had no problem. Mine fork caps about got my face a time or two with a nice spring driven backfire . I don't really want to spend a bunch of money. But I definitely want a more aggressive feel.

Technically, the term "preload" only applies when the fork is topped out.  At any other point, the spring force is balanced by the load (weight) on the spring.  When you add a spacer to the top of the springs, it ALWAYS affects ride height by the amount of the length of the spacer.  For a given load, the spring length will ALWAYS be the same.

For a more aggressive feel, go with straight rate springs.  Progressive rate springs are an easy way for manufacturers to make a bike that will "adequately" handle a broad range of riders but they are not "optimal" for anybody.

image.png.94dfc455a8011a165dbcefd31e4c2db6.png