EZ Pass on motorcycle

ricer1

Has anyone used their EZ Pass transponder for the turnpike tolls and had success mounting the device. I have used it in the past by taking it out of my pocket and it was hit & miss, most times I had to go to the toll booth and give the transponder to the person at the booth to enter the ID number in the system. Let me know your experiences with mounting locations, thanks in advance for responses.  

BTW, I have a Sun Pass in Florida and once I had ONE transponder I went on line, created an account to add any other vehicle license plate numbers. Each time I pass a toll station they snap a photo of the license plate, crosscheck the license plate and deduct the toll from my account attached to my credit card. When friends rent bikes I enter their license plate number on my Sun Pass account, with a start and end date, same crosschecking process. The Ohio Turnpike commission told me they are years from having a system in place to perform like Sun Pass.  

I've seen people mount them to the under side of their windscreen.

But I've also seen guys that do lots of miles like @2talltim keep it in his little cubby in the front of his bike and not mount it at all, just takes it out each time.

Edited by TimTheAzn

3 hours ago, Pauly said:

I mount mine on the dash of the Voyager with 3M velcro. Works fine. 

I'll try it on the dash of my Voyager, thanks for the suggestion!

image.png.09ca9e1338a38f26ad4b7827bcf67192.png

Yup I used to have it velcro on my windscreen but got tired of seeing the velcro on there when not in use. Now i just keep in in my tank storage and pop it out and hold it in my hand when needed through the gates.

Wife and I each have ours inside of an iPod armbands that we strap around our front brake reservoir of our Voyager's. When we don't need them we just unstrap them and store them away.

Inside the windscreen works. I did that on my vstrom. 

Pulling it out of the tank bag is also reasonable if you dont use it daily. Just make sure you have it out and visible before entering the gates. According to one toll worker who had to help me the reader is as you enter the gate, and wont pick up the transponder once you are sitting at the booth. Luckily this was at a nearly empty entrance so I was not holding up anyone. Since then I have it out approaching the gate and it has always worked.  

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a few different methods and came up with two ways to do it that don't involve leaving anything permanently mounted on your motorcycle and allow you to remove the transponder or switch it from one motorcycle to another in a second.

http://www.theridesofar.com/2017/04/experiments-in-e-zpass-on-a-motorcycle/

I put the EZ Pass in my tank bag in a zippered pocket and it worked all but two times, in those two cases I had to read the transponder number to the person listened on the other end of the microphone. I would suggest going slowly through the EZ pass lane and not following closely to the vehicle in from of you.