Michelin Road 5

Killer_kaw

Just gotta rant a little. Really disappointed with these tires. Initially I was impressed with these but after 2,000 miles I can’t wait to get them off the bike. Mounted them up on my tracer gt and have put them through nothing but Spirited rides on twisty roads. Been riding my Vulcan to commute and running around on in an effort to save rubber for a fall gap trip. Anyway these still have all kinds of tread. More so down the middle but tread depth seems great for mileage. However the bike started feeling kinda funky through the corners and after looking closely the tires were starting to loose there shape. I keep a close eye on tire pressure but double checked and 36f 39r right where the otta be. I usually hoop my own tires and static balance so I stopped by the shop to have them spin balanced to see if it would help any but no adjustment was needed.  Guy at the shop said the cupping was due to inconsistent wear. The middle wearing slower than the sides and could be due to under inflation. That’s not possible I stay on top of it.  Now at speed they are giving a little shake and vibes. In the end these were a huge waste of money. Might be great if I lived somewhere I had to slab a lot but apparently they turn to shit if you use the hole tire consistently. To top it off my go to roadsmart 3’s are on backorder most places. (COVID-19 related??)

1 hour ago, Killer_kaw said:

Just gotta rant a little. Really disappointed with these tires. Initially I was impressed with these but after 2,000 miles I can’t wait to get them off the bike. Mounted them up on my tracer gt and have put them through nothing but Spirited rides on twisty roads. Been riding my Vulcan to commute and running around on in an effort to save rubber for a fall gap trip. Anyway these still have all kinds of tread. More so down the middle but tread depth seems great for mileage. However the bike started feeling kinda funky through the corners and after looking closely the tires were starting to loose there shape. I keep a close eye on tire pressure but double checked and 36f 39r right where the otta be. I usually hoop my own tires and static balance so I stopped by the shop to have them spin balanced to see if it would help any but no adjustment was needed.  Guy at the shop said the cupping was due to inconsistent wear. The middle wearing slower than the sides and could be due to under inflation. That’s not possible I stay on top of it.  Now at speed they are giving a little shake and vibes. In the end these were a huge waste of money. Might be great if I lived somewhere I had to slab a lot but apparently they turn to shit if you use the hole tire consistently. To top it off my go to roadsmart 3’s are on backorder most places. (COVID-19 related??)

Gary did you try Bike Bandit? That’s where I picked up a set just in case I couldn’t get comfortable with the 2s I currently have mounted. 

7 hours ago, durk said:

Gary did you try Bike Bandit? That’s where I picked up a set just in case I couldn’t get comfortable with the 2s I currently have mounted. 

Well just got notification this morning my front shipped from Denniskirk but not the rear. Might go that route on the rear BB has them in stock. When I ordered I wasn’t completely disgusted with the road 5’s yet and figured I could wait. Just knew i didn’t wanna roll down south on them and DK was about $70 cheaper on the set. 
How are the 2’s coming around? I have a new set mounted up to the current zrx build we’re finishing up. 

7 hours ago, Killer_kaw said:

How are the 2’s coming around? I have a new set mounted up to the current zrx build we’re finishing up. 

The 2s are fine. I feel confident in them now. I would say they just needed more time to scrub in compared to the 3s. 

A lot of the FJR guys love the PR 4s and PR5s. I tried a PR4 on the rear a few years ago, hated it. It just felt hard and disconnected from the road. I got a few more miles than I usually do on my go to Bridgestone T30 and T31s. The year that we stayed in Townsend, I got a PR3 for the rear from PJ to get me home. I loved that tire, it felt like a Bridgestone and lasted for 4600 miles.

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

I had PR4s on the Duc and they stuck like glue at a "not-so-touring" pace, but the Angels I replaced them with gave a lot more feedback when pushed hard. I prefer the Angels, as they're cheaper and just as grippy. 

What kind of mileage do you get out of Angels? 

Edited by durk

40 minutes ago, durk said:

I’ve been through a few sets on the zrx’s and I’m thinking they all went around 4000 but I don’t run them bald. 

3 hours ago, durk said:

4 hours ago, Pauly said:

I had PR4s on the Duc and they stuck like glue at a "not-so-touring" pace, but the Angels I replaced them with gave a lot more feedback when pushed hard. I prefer the Angels, as they're cheaper and just as grippy. 

3 hours ago, durk said:

Angel GTs have much more grip and last a bit longer than Roadsmart 3s in my experience.  RS3s are honestly the least grippy ST I've tried, in a couple hundred thousand miles.  I just pulled the the RS3 rear off my bike today.  Complete garbage.  Dunlop will never touch my motorcycle again.

Comparing the Angel GT to the RS3 side x side (I literally did this today). The Angel GT's profile allows for noticably more lean angle.

The only positive thing I can say about the Roadsmart 3 was that the wet grip was pretty good... that's it.

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 1