best Ohio (or N. Ky) place for trails/camping? new guy questions

caspian

New guy here, and new to trails (have done lots of 4 wheeling, but first dual sport).  I'm not looking for extreme stuff, but some challenges will be fun.  I would like to find a place for me and my kid to go and ride trails during the day and camp at night.  Ideally, they would allow for 13 year olds to ride with an adult, but if I stick to state parks, I'm guessing that is a no go.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks

Chris

PS, here is the motorcycle hauler/camper (with ARB awning)

20190413_174939_resized_3.jpg

:welcomeor:

There may be some places in southern Ohio that are closer to your location , but I take my daughters to Perry APV and Wayne National Forest.   There are campgrounds nearby that you can ride on dirt bikes or 4 wheelers to the trails

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a bunch.  Sorry for the delayed thank you.  I have been on a million different forums figuring out what I "need" and what I "want" for my new-to-me KLR 650. 

I just spent way too much on Amazon for compact/light weight camping supplies and parts for the bike.  Wayne National is definitely going to be first on my list.  I went to OU and it will be close enough to make a quick trip to visit the campus. 

My 16 year old has expressed interest in riding with me, so I am currently looking for a 400 dual sport for him.  Am looking forward to exploring.

Thanks again,

Chris

20 hours ago, caspian said:

My 16 year old has expressed interest in riding with me, so I am currently looking for a 400 dual sport for him.  Am looking forward to exploring.

Not clear from your post if your son is experienced (or not) but when it comes to new riders in the dirt--or for that matter, on the street--a good rule is "Less is more"....whether you're talking about weight, HP, or seat height.  If he's just venturing into the dirt, I'd suggest a 200-250cc DS.  The KDX 200/250 was a great little bike that dragged my 200# ass all over the trails of KY and TN with minimal fuss, maintenance or drama.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, caspian said:

Thanks a bunch.  Sorry for the delayed thank you.  I have been on a million different forums figuring out what I "need" and what I "want" for my new-to-me KLR 650. 

I just spent way too much on Amazon for compact/light weight camping supplies and parts for the bike.  Wayne National is definitely going to be first on my list.  I went to OU and it will be close enough to make a quick trip to visit the campus. 

Thanks again,

Chris

pre efi KLX with a 350 bore kit is an option too.

that's the problem.  he's 5'9" 160 with room to grow.   I want something for him to be safe to ride ~200 miles on the highway with me to our destination.  My thought process is, if I wouldn't be comfortably safe on it, I sure as shit won't have him on it.

So I am looking at a bike I can adjust for him and still have him to grow into it.   I'm actually looking at a KLR 650 with lowering links and lower seat for him.  Yes, it's heavy, but realistically, we are looking at Ohio public park trails...not MOAB.  I know it soulnds like I have made up my mind, but I also want to lay out our purpose. 

Also looking for ready street legal so he can use it around town without spending $500 on a street legal kit.

I probably should have said that in the initial post. Also, a used KLR will hold value if it isn't his thing.

Am open, just looking for the best mix of a long safe highway ride and lightish trail bike.

Thanks

Chris

The DRZ400 or WR250R is a way better trail bike than a KLR. They will do the 200 mile highway to get there, buts it not a fun ride. Definitely less comfortable than the KLR on the highway. 

Both can be easily lowered though I would think he could learn on the normal height which provides better suspension and ground clearance. 

Personally I think a KLR is a poor choice for starting to ride offroad. That extra weight really is a handful and increases the chance for injuries when you try to save drops. 

The smaller 250 or 200cc bikes like XT225 or DR200 will be easier to ride offroad but will struggle to keep pace with a KLR on the highway. You would have to take a more sedate pace, which is not a bad thing. Their offroad speed would also be closer to the KLR unlike the DRZ or WR which have much better suspension and are capable of a much quicker offroad pace.