Let's talk about the epic ride thread

jbot

Just some questions that I thought might have some bearing on the discussion.  What face does the OR forum want to present to new members? Without historical context, new members can't read between the lines and assign meaning to the intentions of commenters. Shouldn't the establishment and protection of an inviting, safe and comfortable environment be the objective? Would this further the desire to expand participation and grow membership?

I don't know, not saying that the original thread prompted these questions, but these occurred to me as the discussion unfolded here in this thread.

Food for thought

Edited by Muckles
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Muckles said:

Just some questions that I thought might have some bearing on the discussion.  What face does the OR forum want to present to new members? Without historical context, new members can't read between the lines and assign meaning to the intentions of commenters. Shouldn't the establishment and protection of an inviting, safe and comfortable environment be the objective? Would this further the desire to expand participation and grow membership?

I don't know, not saying that the original thread prompted these questions, but these occurred to me as the discussion unfolded here in this thread.

Food for thought

Fuck yo safe space. We're on the interwebz and this is Ohio Riders.

• Beer 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Muckles said:

Food for thought

Honestly the MO of OR has always been we are all adults here(most of us anyway) and you might want to have semi thick skin and be able to take a ribbing and criticism every now and then. The only things we will not tolerate is personal attacks and threats either physical or to ones character. Other than that it's kind a unmolested environment. Other than what Jbot is around :lol: 

And too be clear the original epic thread was not hidden for any of those reasons. The OP simply didn't want to be the ring leader of planning the event any longer for what ever reasons they had. Kinda simple as that I believe. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Muckles said:

Food for thought

33 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

If it's truly racism, it's a serious offense (suspension, ban, etc). However, 99.9999999% of the time it's just friendly banter/ribbing or someone speaking their mind on a hot topic that upsets those with a different viewpoint.

We've been doing this for fifteen years. Joining this site is like joining a new group of friends, or meeting your in-laws. It takes a bit to get to know their personalities, intentions, etc. Everyone has their own opinions. Think of it as a really fucked up, dysfunctional, polygamous, exhibitionist family. Some are conservative. Some are liberal. Some are in the middle. Some try to sleep with every new person that joins. Some are happily married. Some will never get laid. Some sleep with sheep (you know who you are *cough* Fonzie and Sam *cough*). Some ride sport bikes on the track only. Some ride Harley's to the local bar. Some sold their bikes years ago but still hang around for some reason (looking at you Bad). Some can handle it. Some can't. As TimTheAzn so eloquently said, this is not a "safe space". Everyone is free to have their own opinion and speak their mind (within the rules). We don't censor or over-moderate.

That said, we do NOT tolerate blatant racism, sexism, violence, etc. If anyone sees anything that breaks the rules, you're encouraged to report it (Report post link in upper right of every post). 

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Yo yo...I hear ya.... As I said throwing ideas out there...I personally don't really care and didn't find anything I've seen here so far offensive. I tend to play the devil's advocate a lot and push the counter viewpoint to further conversations.

50 minutes ago, Muckles said:

Yo yo...I hear ya.... As I said throwing ideas out there...I personally don't really care and didn't find anything I've seen here so far offensive. I tend to play the devil's advocate a lot and push the counter viewpoint to further conversations.

I'm glad you took that the way I meant it to be taken. As a joke. 👍

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Casper said:

If it's truly racism, it's a serious offense (suspension, ban, etc). However, 99.9999999% of the time it's just friendly banter/ribbing or someone speaking their mind on a hot topic that upsets those with a different viewpoint.

We've been doing this for fifteen years. Joining this site is like joining a new group of friends, or meeting your in-laws. It takes a bit to get to know their personalities, intentions, etc. Everyone has their own opinions. Think of it as a really fucked up, dysfunctional, polygamous, exhibitionist family. Some are conservative. Some are liberal. Some are in the middle. Some try to sleep with every new person that joins. Some are happily married. Some will never get laid. Some sleep with sheep (you know who you are *cough* Fonzie and Sam *cough*). Some ride sport bikes on the track only. Some ride Harley's to the local bar. Some sold their bikes years ago but still hang around for some reason (looking at you Bad). Some can handle it. Some can't. As TimTheAzn so eloquently said, this is not a "safe space". Everyone is free to have their own opinion and speak their mind (within the rules). We don't censor or over-moderate.

That said, we do NOT tolerate blatant racism, sexism, violence, etc. If anyone sees anything that breaks the rules, you're encouraged to report it (Report post link in upper right of every post). 

OH SHIT - I made it into the signature :lol:

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

I think what @Muckles was trying to say is people with really loose flexible inner and thick outer can break and squeeze into the OR circle and feel at home. I believe Muckles is one of them, most folks who skim through the threads won’t get the inside jokes and banter and overall feel of this forum. And hence hard to get new members. But... the big butt question is, just like anything in this world. Where do we draw the line... thin margin between over moderation and having relaxed easy fun, may be just have the intro thread visible to new members until they have 3 new post something like that, by then we can do our welcomes and stuff and then show them the brutal battle royal waiting for them. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

And too be clear the original epic thread was not hidden for any of those reasons. The OP simply didn't want to be the ring leader of planning the event any longer for what ever reasons they had. Kinda simple as that I believe. 

Is there a way for it to be merged below the new thread Muckles started? I know he loves to plan stuff like these. That way rest of the folks who replied in there get notified of new reply and such. 

18 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

Is there a way for it to be merged below the new thread Muckles started? I know he loves to plan stuff like these. That way rest of the folks who replied in there get notified of new reply and such. 

I think it can be but might be more confusing at this point to merge them.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Anyone that can't take the heat should stay on reddit where they belong. Not everything needs to pander to the least common denominator. I am tired of accommodating people I do not know that feel I owe them something. 

The door swings both ways. Suit up, throw a leg over.. or piss off. 

I am so offended, outraged and horrified by your micro aggression's towards me and everyone on the OR. I know ToniC enjoys banning people, I will ask him to eliminate every comment you have every posted on the OR! :lol:

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

I think what @Muckles was trying to say is people with really loose flexible inner and thick outer can break and squeeze into the OR circle and feel at home. I believe Muckles is one of them, most folks who skim through the threads won’t get the inside jokes and banter and overall feel of this forum. And hence hard to get new members. But... the big butt question is, just like anything in this world. Where do we draw the line... thin margin between over moderation and having relaxed easy fun, may be just have the intro thread visible to new members until they have 3 new post something like that, by then we can do our welcomes and stuff and then show them the brutal battle royal waiting for them. 

Thanks @NinjaDoc i feel like you understood my point about casual browsers.  Though I'm not sure we really need to make any adjustments. 

3 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

I agree that merging the threads would be confusing. I just posted the new tread so that people would have a reference to planning details.

Edited by Muckles
  • Upvote 1

On 6/23/2020 at 12:01 PM, Tonik said:

Locking threads at the OP's request is standard practice everywhere. It is their thread, they own it.

Just because something somewhere is standard practice doesn't mean it's a well thought out policy. Following along what others do is a lazy way to process issues when there are entities involved with corporate forums and they can plug in any warm body as a moderator. We only answer to a single entity around here. Giving the current moderators some credit I would guess you all can think for yourselves.

Locking threads at the OP request makes sense if they have made an incriminating post that has the possibility to put them in some sort of legal issues. Locking a post because they don't like the replies or they have changed their mind isn't necessary.

I get changing your mind after the fact but man up and say that instead of having a moderator bail you out. Other people contributed to the discussion and could have moved it forward without the OP being further involved after they stated that they no longer wished to be involved.

Another policy that is unnecessary is the locking of for sale threads after the item has been sold. I don't get the point of doing this at all. Leaving them open allows follow up questions that could lead to another discussion on the topic instead of someone starting a new thread addressing the for sale topic.

On 6/23/2020 at 12:03 PM, 2talltim said:

This place is no where near over moderated compared to other sites. 

You need to find better places to hang out on the internet then if this statement is true for you. There are forums that aren't moderated unnecessarily. Yes, I consider this place to be on the medium side of moderating but for what I'm paying to be around here I only complain when it doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 2

it's always a good thread when @Uncle Punk has to come on to say his bit about how over-moderated this site is.  someone types up greatest hits highlights list of memorable OR moments, and @NinjaDoc writes up a nice long heart felt love letter to OR, and somebody has to appeal to our good nature for the sake of the noobs.

also, it was 1.86$ or however idiotic way that dildo wrote it back then

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Casper said:

Instead of fighting the trolls, I made them mods. 😂 

8 hours ago, magley64 said:

Did someone call my name?

I dunno Casper, seems like you missed one.

anyone notice how they're all white dudes?   This is why I think it's finally time @Uncle Punk became mod.  we need to get a black guy on the mod team.  he'll be like our Obama, and then I'll bide my time until i can begin my unadulterated fascist reign of tyranny

• Haha 3

We need several more white guys in the moderating pool before we upset the proper percentage balance with an Oriental. My time spent as the black moderator will be trying to defund the fun police and unlocking every single thread that is locked.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, jbot said:

anyone notice how they're all white dudes?   This is why I think it's finally time @Uncle Punk became mod.  we need to get a black guy on the mod team.  he'll be like our Obama, and then I'll bide my time until i can begin my unadulterated fascist reign of tyranny

Going to report your obvious hatred of white people to your employer.

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

Going to report your obvious hatred of white people to your employer.

I just hope you tell him all the hurtful things I said about your penis, in graphic veiny detail

• Haha 1