Let's talk about the epic ride thread

jbot

I'll accept my role in derailing the thread.  Obviously, for anyone who actually knows me (admittedly, few anymore) should know I was absolutely kidding about rounding up all the racist/stereotypical jokes being directed towards @TimTheAzn and sending the examples to their respective employers.  And yes, I know you think they were harmless and certainly didn't intend ill will probably.   If you look in my post history, I've made plenty of naughty problematic jokes and have no actual problem with them for the most part. 

So that all being said, can someone explain why the thread was closed and disappeared?

I won't make assumptions, I would like an explanation. 

It was done at the OPs request. It is pretty traditional on message boards that if an OP requests it then it is done. I believe it was because it had in general gone off the rails, not any one person or comment.

The above is as I understand it, I was not involved.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

How about not locking the thread in the first place.

Who in the hell posts here thinking that any thread will stay on topic let alone complain that it hasn't. That's some baby bullshit and coddled by an overactive moderator.

I disagree and stand by the moderator that did it. Locking threads at the OP's request is standard practice everywhere. It is their thread, they own it. Their reasons are theirs and though we may not agree it is their choice.

Honestly, getting pissed off because some of our mindless drivel went away is some pretty baby bullshit too.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

How about not locking the thread in the first place.

Who in the hell posts here thinking that any thread will stay on topic let alone complain that it hasn't. That's some baby bullshit and coddled by an overactive moderator.

This place is no where near over moderated compared to other sites. There is literally the 3 things us mod do on this site. Clean up the spammers, lock for sale threads(when item is sold) and grant request of OP's that they posted or mod a post that member might wish to be changed with in reason. That's about it. Nothing is gone, nothing gets deleted it's just hidden. And like Jim said with past practice if the OP request something to be hidden we usually do, we always have. It just so happens if the OP was the first post in the thread it hides the entire thread. But it's still there, we can undo it. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

This place is no where near over moderated compared to other sites. There is literally the 3 things us mod do on this site. Clean up the spammers, lock for sale threads(when item is sold) and grant request of OP's that they posted or mod a post that member might wish to be changed with in reason. That's about it. Nothing is gone, nothing gets deleted it's just hidden. And like Jim said with past practice if the OP request something to be hidden we usually do, we always have. It just so happens if the OP was the first post in the thread it hides the entire thread. But it's still there, we can undo it. 

The grammar nazi inside me devoped an eye twitch after reading this post. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jbot said:

Ok. Since I own this thread, I want all the posts in the thread (except mine) show boobies instead of whatever drivel was written.  

We don't change what people have written. That would be very unethical. We can lock this thread for you if you wish.

However, great guy that I am I will follow your request for my posts.

4i88GgaV8qiGEw1xifwYz2xp7RJEnNpBZq7dn2K62oTzu4d8My4TMkWZ9rxJzTNHUYQjVfPvhbMLeNi7rjUBEZtXESNxHDGMCjpGZFwZAnuUgkY2niCAusuaFP.gif

Edited by Tonik
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Not trying to stir the pot, and I did not get to read the full thread before it was closed so I don’t know what transpired in there that it deserve to be closed. So I’m not pro or against closing as I don’t have enough information. Just as a continuation of discussion, posting up my thoughts. 

most forum esp OR is an eclectic group of folks coming together and sharing ideas / discussion / arguments etc 

a thread and it’s further reply constitutes a conglomeration of ideas from various individuals. The whole thread takes a meaning of it own, has a value of its own. Thus the Value of  whole thread with its replies takes a far more value than just the opening post, opening post is just what it is ...an opening , like some guy who walks into a hall full of people and saying “hey what’s up, how’s weather” The thread belongs to everyone who posted in there and even a bit to every member in forum who joined / logs in daily and reads these. They all have their own value in keeping this place rolling. 

my humble opinion (which prolly doesn’t matter) is going forward in future let’s keep the threads open, if OP wishes to erase his post and thread mods can help him. Let the rest of the discussions which folks put effort to come up with ideas and took time to type it out stay here.  If majority of thread is highly inflammable and pure toxic with no productive value what’s so ever, I agree closing and hiding makes sense. But for OR that’s a pretty high ceiling to touch. By now literally all of us know each other on personal basis and know exactly where the posts are coming from. From a funny angle or vicious Inner negative angle. 

As for this thread the last I seen was all productive posts, esp a planing and involving thread with many folks who are usually silent coming forward to participate to bring together a ride. That should have stayed and the requested posts or dubious post could be edited out. Anyways I don’t know the specifics nor the technical difficulties in achieving that, genuinely trying to discuss pros and cons. 

Edited by NinjaDoc
Correcting millions of auto correct and typos before pauly’s eyes twitch and fall off 🤣
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 1