Iron Butt 2020

ricer1

I have wanted to do an Iron Butt ride for years and plan to go on Tuesday July 14 or Wednesday July 15th riding 1040 miles to Chamberlain, South Dakota (16.5 hours on Google maps). This is about 250 miles from Mt. Rushmore. I plan to take my time riding back. Nothing is set in stone, except I have to be back Monday July 20th. I will be staying in hotels along the ride, no camping for me. If anyone is interested in joining me I am looking for some to ride with me. I intend to register my ride with Iron Butt Association. 

Link:    http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssseries/index.html

IB Map 2020.PNG

IB Logo.PNG

Edited by ricer1

Chamberlain South  Dakota, not Wyoming.

That is where we stopped on ours. Fair warning, by the time you get there all the restaurants will be closed and you will have to eat really crappy gas station food. That whole town closes up at 9pm. We got there about 20 minutes too late.

Edited by Tonik

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Also would suggest you stay south as you go through Chicago. Then hit 380 north in Iowa City, or cut up on 29 through Sioux City.

Thanks ToniC, the suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Must see/do's

Wall Drug

Badlands

Prairie Dog Observation Point.

All of the above are right by each other.

Other must do's

Pioneer Auto Museum in Murdo SD.

16A southeast out of mount rushmore for the curves then into Custer Nat Park for buffalo.

Spearfish Canyon Rd.

Deadwood. I would try and make it your base of operations if you can once you get out there.

Other good ideas.

antique archaeology near Davenport, the American Pickers show.

Sturgis was ok, worth a drive through to say you been there but I would not stay there or plan on any time there.

Honestly, Devils Tower was a let down. Not worth the effort imho.

Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road.  Do the loop counter-clockwise and On iron mountain road you’ll see Mt  Rushmore Through the trees to the north.

We stayed in Deadwood for six nights and did day trips from there.   We stayed at the Hampton, but friends on other trips have stayed at the Holiday Inn.  Everything is within walking distance from either place.  

Just about every road out there is a good ride.  Watch for Bison in and around Custer State Park.  They’re big and fast, and will run across the road in front of you in a heartbeat.   One nearly took out the couple we were with going up iron mountain road.