Saturday 6-6 ride

durk

3 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Yes we have. We've done a few 200 plus days on it. A seat upgrade would be a must for anything longer.

We were dragging pegs on the dragon last spring and she fell asleep on 28..lol

So if I’m looking to ride 400-500 miles 2 up I should look at a Goldwing?

24 minutes ago, durk said:

So if I’m looking to ride 400-500 miles 2 up I should look at a Goldwing?

Of course. Borrow mine, take her for a spin and see if she is more relaxed. But you gotta slow down when she is on it. Going fast will be a deal killer.

Took years before I could light it up with the wife on the back but I am still considerably slower when she is on it. It's her ride too.

She keeps asking me...."why does this bike lean so much more than the Voyager?". :lol:

Great deals on NOS Wings pre 18 but you give up a lot of sportiness, and my ride comfort is better. But they are still killer machines. There are below 20k deals on new 18s right now.

• Upvote 3

@Tonik you must have forgot, I’m cheap. I’d be looking at an early years GL1800. I’ve checked them out on marketplace and c-list. I’m thinking pick one up cheap at the end of the season. If nothing else it would make trips with my daughter easier. If it doesn’t work out I’ll turn around and sell it. Btw I do slow down with the wife. Tory not so much but she has a need for speed like her old man. Thanks for the offer to ride yours.

@Pauly I have the cbr if I want to torture myself and my wife.

Durk,  check the GL1800riders board.  There are usually a number of Wings for sale.  If you look at an older one, try to go 2005 or newer.  2001-2003 had a frame weld recall you need to make sure was completed, and pre 2005 had radiator overheating issues in very hot conditions.   Also, there was a brake master cylinder recall a few years ago for all models up to 2012 if memory serves me.  Not everyone did the brake recall so I’d ask specifically about it. 

These things last forever, so don’t worry if you find one with what seems like high miles.  Many go 150,000 or more with just wear items replaced.  There is a guy in Lima who put over 500,000 miles on one and it was still running.  Mine has 77,600 miles and is barely broken in.

• Upvote 2