Anyone else looting?

Tonik

25 minutes ago, what said:

better rename the irish car bomb, scotch tape, sauerkraut and english breakfast tea too or i'm going to start being really offended.

You raise a very good point. 

I was just thinking that maybe chocolate Easter bunnies might have to go--I dunno, it just makes me feel squeemish and evil for some reason to give these out to little kids, thus perpetuating the problem--and the word "dark" should prolly be stricken from all chocolate candy wrappers.

• Sad 1

Short bread will be next.... Then French bread...

Where will it end?

The best qualify should get the job, no more tax credits for minorities. The best essay, athletes, gpa, etc. should win the scholarships. Grants should not rely on race, sex, or if you have kids. Just income.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, snot said:

Short bread will be next.... Then French bread...

Where will it end?

The best qualify should get the job, no more tax credits for minorities. The best essay, athletes, gpa, etc. should win the scholarships. Grants should not rely on race, sex, or if you have kids. Just income.

Ha! Jen, I agree, and all this "reform" may just do exactly what you are suggesting, i.e., level the playing field--for ALL of us. If black, white, yellow, and brown lives all matter, we are all equal, and none of us should receive preferential treatment, right??????

Great post, and I hope what you wrote comes to pass.

Edited by SpecialEd
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jbot said:

The court’s second explanation for the racial “personal rating” gap is that there is racial bias in the evaluations by teachers and counselors. The judge wrote: “teacher and guidance counselor recommendations seemingly presented Asian Americans as having less favorable personal characteristics than similarly situated non-Asian American applicants . . . Because teacher and guidance counselor recommendation letters are among the most significant inputs for the personal rating, the apparent race-related or race-correlated difference in the strength of guidance counselor and teacher recommendations is significant.” This seems like a smoking gun showing that Asian American applicants are victims of discrimination.

@SpecialEd is a racist. Got it. 

• Beer 1

42 minutes ago, Tonik said:

The median household income for Asians is 87,194, while for Whites it is 70,642. Perhaps Harvard is just doing some affirmative action?

I think you know that you don't want to go down this income, wealth and affirmative action road in terms of the upper echelon of higher education because if you look past just this very short dead end you're going down, you know it looks very bad for this line of reasoning as soon as you zoom out and look at overall distribution of wealth along racial lines and college admissions in Ivy's especially Harvard.  We can waste our time on this if you want. 

1 minute ago, durk said:

The court’s second explanation for the racial “personal rating” gap is that there is racial bias in the evaluations by teachers and counselors. The judge wrote: “teacher and guidance counselor recommendations seemingly presented Asian Americans as having less favorable personal characteristics than similarly situated non-Asian American applicants . . . Because teacher and guidance counselor recommendation letters are among the most significant inputs for the personal rating, the apparent race-related or race-correlated difference in the strength of guidance counselor and teacher recommendations is significant.” This seems like a smoking gun showing that Asian American applicants are victims of discrimination.

@SpecialEd is a racist. Got it. 

If we're speaking to guidance counselors and teachers as a whole, you are absolutely right.  I doubt specialed as an individual is particularly overtly racist based on what I've seen of his comments, but I don't know him personally (at least, I don't think I do).   But at the institutional level, data shows this mechanism of overly relying on narrative feedback from a predominantly white educational structure for specifically Harvard admissions (though I'd guess this failure extends to other similarly desirable schools) for Asian vs white students is racially discriminatory for asians.   Do.you disagree?

8 minutes ago, jbot said:

But at the institutional level, data shows this mechanism of overly relying on narrative feedback from a predominantly white educational structure for specifically Harvard admissions (though I'd guess this failure extends to other similarly desirable schools) for Asian vs white students is racially discriminatory for asians.   Do.you disagree?

Based on the article it seems as though it may be a problem. Tonik asked about my career because I’m a math teacher. I can only speak of my own personal thoughts as an educator. I can’t speak for my whole profession. As a math teacher not many ask for recommendations from me. If you read much of what I post you’ll see words are not my strength. When asked for a recommendation it’s based on my experience with that student. The race of a student for me plays no role in my recommendation. 

37 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Remind us again what you do for a living Durk.

Math teacher. Nobody asks me for a recommendation. All Ed’s fault. 

I'm glad they are finally tackling the real problem. I now have hope this will all be resolved shortly. https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2020/06/wizards-bans-7-cards-that-depict-racism-including-invoke-prejudice/

for context, the "color" of a creature or card just has to do with its element affiliation:

21da3425390d0f258f1787df8f12e6cc--mtg-ar

Edited by what

8 hours ago, durk said:

Math teacher. Nobody asks me for a recommendation. All Ed’s fault. 

I have written MANY letters of rec for students over the years, but one request stands out from the rest. I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

Back in 2014, I had a white female student I'll call "Beth," who was coddled by her mother to the point where the student simply told her mom one day that she no longer desired to go to school (Beth was smart but lazy, and didn't participate in class or finish most of her assigned work.) Her parents were extremely wealthy. Beth was an equestrian, and her parents gave her everything she needed for her hobby: a few horses, trailer with a large SUV to haul her to various competitions around the country, riding lessons at a local equestrian center, etc.

Mom was *down* with Beth's inane request to quit school, and she and her husband met with the principal to secure a home instructor. I was called to participate in this very heated meeting, which devolved into a screaming match between members of the admin and Beth's parents. In the end, the parents won, and Beth was basically home schooled by tutors from the district--each one was paid $36/hour, so this student cost the district many tens of thousands of dollars.

Curious about her progress after her senior year had ended, I Googled Beth's name. Turns out she was in prison for her role in burning down the equestrian center where she received her riding lessons after the owner caught her and a couple of her friends smoking dope in a horse stall that summer and told Beth's parents about it. She also stole cash and equipment from the business before torching it. Animals died in the blaze, and the family who owned the business lost approximately $10,000 per month in income until the structure could be rebuilt.

In August of 2015, Beth's mom emailed me asking for a letter of rec for her daughter, who was interested in attending classes at Cleveland State the next year. Mom had no idea that I knew about her daughter's arson conviction, and of course, never mentioned it in the email. I never wrote back.

I have bent over backwards to be fair and non-judgmental with all the thousands of students I have taught over the years, and was especially proud to learn of the successes of those whose circumstances presented what most of us would consider to be major impediments, including poverty, racial inequality issues, etc. 

• Upvote 1

Singling out the police brutality issue to one very specific aspect of it may be making it harder to deal with, because it is dividing up the base that would be for reforms over perceived racial motives. Having a strong message and platform to deal with the problem is good, but basing it on something as volatile as racial prejudices, especially in the US, is in my opinion a bad move on the organizer's part. Unless of course the motivation now is to deepen the racial tensions and pull people apart for political gain.

I'm not being dismissive of the very present racial issues in the justice system, but the root of these problems goes much much deeper and ends up being more an economic and poverty problem rather than a racial problem in most instances. Police reforms are a band aid for a wound that goes down to the bone.

Edited by what
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, what said:

....but the root of these problems goes much much deeper and ends up being more an economic and poverty problem rather than a racial problem in most instances. Police reforms are a band aid for a wound that goes down to the bone.

Exactly. Fixing the police is not fixing the problem. It is fixing a symptom. Yes the symptom needs to be fixed or mitigated but the problem will still be there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"The FBI learned that garage number 4, where the noose was found, was assigned to Bubba Wallace last week. The investigation also revealed evidence, including authentic video confirmed by NASCAR, that the noose found in garage number 4 was in that garage as early as October 2019," the bureau said. "Although the noose is now known to have been in garage number 4 in 2019, nobody could have known Mr. Wallace would be assigned to garage number 4 last week."

the garage door pull rope fashioned like a noose "

Edited by motocat12
  • Beer 1

On 6/19/2020 at 7:58 PM, Steve Butters said:

I just don't like the idea of anything being mandated on me in regards to how I dress.

So, ICU usage in Arizona is up to 84 percent. You folks ready to get serious yet?

59 minutes ago, Tonik said:

So, ICU usage in Arizona is up to 84 percent. You folks ready to get serious yet?

Going from 5 to 10 people is a 100% increase so percentages don't influence me much. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Going from 5 to 10 people is a 100% increase so percentages don't influence me much. 

The numbers are pretty grim. Steve's Fucked. Fuck Steve.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2020/06/23/arizona-covid-19-record-number-new-cases-hospitalizations-before-trump-visit/3242113001/

People are protesting and attending trump rallies and none of them have masks on. It's no wonder cases are up.

Thanks for caring so much to continue to mention me. You still aren't going to change my mind; neither are a bunch of idiots huddling up in huge crowds infecting each other. I haven't been to any events or huge functions, I keep my 6 feet, and everyone is wearing masks already because it's being mandated in every city around central AZ (except at huge events where it can't seem to be enforced).

So thanks for the continued wishes against my health and well-being. Must suck to be an old crotchety fuck who is legitimately terrified of this coronavirus. It's probably good you haven't left your house in 4 months.

2-3 weeks since the protests/riots. is anybody surprised? What I will be surprised about is if they actually say that is a large factor in the new cases and not blame it on the states "opening up too soon".

On the bright side, that's a bunch more people who will now be immune, one way or another.

Didn't have to wait long, thanks NBC: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/black-lives-matter-protests-haven-t-led-covid-19-spikes-n1232045

It's not the mass gathering of people leading to the transmission, it's all the people who DIDN'T go out and protest that are to blame. 😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by what