Heat shrink solder connectors

Tpoppa

31 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

You can use a heat gun or a lighter.  These would be handy for repairs in the field.

I'm going to use them for my GPS connectors.

Had to splice a sensor cable in the field. These would have been handy. 

10 hours ago, Pauly said:

Uh... ft/lbs are irrelevant. It's a soldered wire and not a rigging chain. It should never see tensile stress.  

I agree, at some point I’d want the connector to fail instead of breaking something else.

23 hours ago, motocat12 said:

I've read debates in the past that say the solder wicks up the insulation and causes brittle wires.

I've been crimping all my Voltage regulator connectors. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=solder vs crimp&oq=solder vs crimp&aqs=chrome..69i57.8383j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I've used this and other solder devices. But not on something that moves and vibrates. Aerospace crimps everything, using no solder on connectors and connections. Only on circuit boards. Vibration and motion cracks solder used on connectors and it fails.

Lesson learned in my early years, wire nuts do not work on cars, they just vibrate and fall off.

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to using these.  I used a lighter instead of a heat gun.  The lighter works fine, a heat gun would probably have been a little more controlled.

They are convenient with a slim profile, which is nice if your are working with multiple wires in a small space...like on a motorcycle.

• 2 years later...

I bought a set of these when this thread was active and promptly forgot about them (I put them with stuff I was accumulating for a winter project that I still haven't started 😅 ).

Yesterday, I wanted to splice some cables for an old O2 sensor and dug these out to use.  My wife has a crafting heat gun that has a smaller tip and it worked perfectly!

I spliced a 5 wire and a 6 wire cable and the splices were thin enough I could get a heat shrink over the whole thing.

• Upvote 1