Tpoppa

Heat shrink solder connectors

I didn't know these were a thing until last week.  They look perfect for motorcycle applications.   I ordered some and I'll be trying them out.  

• Thanks 1

Ok, that is dope.

Those look awesome!  Did you get them from Summit?  Let us know what you think about them.

You can use a heat gun or a lighter.  These would be handy for repairs in the field.

I'm going to use them for my GPS connectors.

$.50 a piece not bad.

$.16 on ebay

$.08 on amazon

31 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

You can use a heat gun or a lighter.  These would be handy for repairs in the field.

I'm going to use them for my GPS connectors.

Had to splice a sensor cable in the field. These would have been handy. 

manf video is 2 years old with under 100 views. 

amazon rating is 4.6 out of 5

I've read debates in the past that say the solder wicks up the insulation and causes brittle wires.

I've been crimping all my Voltage regulator connectors. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=solder vs crimp&oq=solder vs crimp&aqs=chrome..69i57.8383j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Those are Tits Man. Got to get some.

I expect some entertaining tests to failure from you all. 

Those tests are missing the actual numbers in foot pounds where they broke. Really need that because math.

Uh... ft/lbs are irrelevant. It's a soldered wire and not a rigging chain. It should never see tensile stress.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Pauly said:

Uh... ft/lbs are irrelevant. It's a soldered wire and not a rigging chain. It should never see tensile stress.  

I agree, at some point I’d want the connector to fail instead of breaking something else.

23 hours ago, motocat12 said:

I've read debates in the past that say the solder wicks up the insulation and causes brittle wires.

I've been crimping all my Voltage regulator connectors. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=solder vs crimp&oq=solder vs crimp&aqs=chrome..69i57.8383j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I've used this and other solder devices. But not on something that moves and vibrates. Aerospace crimps everything, using no solder on connectors and connections. Only on circuit boards. Vibration and motion cracks solder used on connectors and it fails.

Lesson learned in my early years, wire nuts do not work on cars, they just vibrate and fall off.

I finally got around to using these.  I used a lighter instead of a heat gun.  The lighter works fine, a heat gun would probably have been a little more controlled.

They are convenient with a slim profile, which is nice if your are working with multiple wires in a small space...like on a motorcycle.