2018 Goldwing

Tonik

11 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

That means it has a vagina right? 

Maybe, but lots of good reports about just how good the DCT tranny is on this bike.

Say what you will about shifting vs not, but the technology is pretty good (see any writeups about Porsche PDK) and getting better quickly.

The folks that have the DCT love them. I drove it, it works extreamy well. You can always go manual if you want and if you are aggressive you will have to. Picture the Dragon coming out of a corner hard on the throttle....as to approach the nest corner you roll off to engine brake. The DCT will upshift when you do that.

For me it was an extra 1200 bucks a 100 pounds that did not solve any problem that I had.

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

The folks that have the DCT love them. I drove it, it works extreamy well. You can always go manual if you want and if you are aggressive you will have to. Picture the Dragon coming out of a corner hard on the throttle....as to approach the nest corner you roll off to engine brake. The DCT will upshift when you do that.

For me it was an extra 1200 bucks a 100 pounds that did not solve any problem that I had.

That's too bad. Such an easy software fix. Isaac bought my 6-manual Cruze and I upgraded to a 6-auto Fusion. It has a button that will hold the revs in a gear for extended duration for "spirited driving". Now, it isn't a manual, nor does is shift quickly (which takes all the fun from the paddle shifters).. but it does a decent job in the corners. Honda should fix that and it would increase sales of that technology. 

41 minutes ago, Pauly said:

. Honda should fix that and it would increase sales of that technology. 

From what I see on the road and message boards. 90 plus percent are DCT. I intend to charge you a premium for my manual when I sell it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tonik said:

From what I see on the road and message boards. 90 plus percent are DCT. I intend to charge you a premium for my manual when I sell it.

I am surprised the auto is the better seller. I like not using my clutch, but not sure adding a shitload of weight and inappropriate shifts is the way I would go. 

7 minutes ago, Pauly said:

I am surprised the auto is the better seller. I like not using my clutch, but not sure adding a shitload of weight and inappropriate shifts is the way I would go. 

I am thinking initial sales were to current wing owners. Old farts with arthritis, or not aggressive. The DCT ones I have chatted with in the road fit that description.

10 hours ago, Pauly said:

Who owns an automatic motorcycle? 

19 hours ago, Tonik said:

The 90 percent class of Wing owners. Duh. 🛵🤷🏻‍♂️

14 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

You people are ruining motorcyles. 

41 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

The 90 percent class of Wing owners. Duh. 🛵🤷🏻‍♂️

Ok, so not "you" people since no one here owns a DCT. It's "those" people.

14 minutes ago, Pauly said:

More importantly... Can the DCT shift if it turns to the darkside? Come to think of it, is there room for a car tire on the new Wings, Jim?

Yes there is tons of room. It would shift fine if the diameter isn't too far out of spec.

• Beer 1

When I was riding 12-15k/year (for 15 years) of hardcore twisties, I was getting some serious nerve issues in my clutch hand.  It's not as bad now because I have less time to ride, but I still have nerve issues.

Things like DCT and quick shifters will extend my riding career 👍

22 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Things like DCT and quick shifters will extend my riding career 👍

If it wasn't for quick shifter/auto blipper I wouldn't still be riding.

Looking forward to a motorcycle that has an automatic transmission as good as a PDK.