Pricing of '70s Honda's

mello dude

I'm researching typical pricing of '70s Honda's - twins and fours, the whole range produced. 

Can you suggest some good resources for fair prices, bikes in various conditions

- assuming someone would buy, do some  or major resto work and then sell to make a few bucks. 

5 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

You could check completed listings on eBay and look at just the ones that actually sold.

Yeah, I get that, but there has to be a old Honda junkies group hang out paper/blog/forum or other thing someplace.

Been doing the Google thing but maybe someone would know better and point out a direction...

Kinda like a what if a barn find situation.........

Edited by mello dude

There's a few guys here in Cinti that are into collecting/restoring vintage metric/euro bikes.  From their stories, unless you can find a screaming deal on a bike that's in pretty decent shape and mostly complete, prices on OEM parts or cost to refurbish said parts--not including your labor--are gonna limit your profit to a negative $$$.  Everyone I know that is good at restorations is doing it for the enjoyment and satisfaction and maybe to scratch an itch from their early riding years, not as a profitable hobby.

NADA lists prices. Back to 1959. And value probably varies in different parts of the country.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/Manufacturers

Honda used to stock parts for every bike they ever made. They no longer do that.

I keep looking at vintage, but not doing anything about it.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

Mello, what specifically are you looking to do? Acquire/restomod a bike for personal use? Restore to resell?

Well, the answer is probably "yes" to all, I do lust for a clean green 500/550. 

The thing that got the gears in my brain going is that I happened to bump into an older gent

who was a Honda dealer in the 60s & 70s.  - Um.. OMG, my head is def still spinning from that. 

On 5/25/2020 at 10:12 PM, mello dude said:

Well, the answer is probably "yes" to all, I do lust for a clean green 500/550. 

I have a friend who is selling his 500.  He lives in Delaware, OH and he's meticulous about his bike maintenance.  I've seen this one and it's near stock, clean, and ready to be ridden - he rides it to work occasionally when he's not riding his Concourse 14, Ducati 900SS, or Triumph Scrambler.

PM me if you want his contact info.

That’s a pretty bike. Determining the value of these is difficult and really the best way, as stated before, is eBay sold listings. The exhaust on that bike alone is $2000. If you are looking for a deal, check local auctions or work with someone that doesn’t have a 4 into 4 exhaust. Barn finds are typically not worth your time. I purchased a barn fresh 72 CB750 to build my CR750 and I have literally replaced everything except the frame. You are a few dollars ahead finding one that needs some work but is in generally good condition.  

• Upvote 1