video surveillance system for the cheap

serpentracer

went and bought this because it's so cheap right now.  since I seemed to have moved into a shady fucking neighborhood.  but this thing is very nice for the price.  doesn't need internet to work like it makes you think from the ad. 2 usb ports for external drives or mouse.  never tried a keyboard yet.   but if you want to monitor anything from your phone when you're away it needs internet.  it has very clear video and yes, 1080p definition.  low light colors are very good and has superb night vision. I tested it in a dark closet.  video looked like daylight. 

https://www.microcenter.com/product/603002/wd-readyview-surveillance-system

Edited by serpentracer

39 minutes ago, bowdog said:

Are the cameras wireless? I scanned through quickly and did not see.

I think it looks like it says ethernet. Comes with 4 100ft ethernet lines on the spec page. Also in the question page it says its POE.

A little more secure than wireless imo.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bowdog said:

Are the cameras wireless? I scanned through quickly and did not see.

they are not.  I wanted wireless but the kits were several hundreds more.  the other more expensive WD system has more features like field of view zone motion detection and trip wire.  

mine is basic motion detection.  some complain it's too sensitive.  I noticed it detected movement if the camera moved from me walking across the floor behind the camera.  so it may over notify you on your phone and annoy the hell out of you. maybe using an alarm system notification would be better. 

Edited by serpentracer
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, serpentracer said:

also, it doesn't mention anything in the manual what happens if the HDD fills up.  doesn't say if it just records over it or if it stops working until you back up the drive or something.  

It records in a loop, overwriting the oldest.

I bought the "better" version, higher resolution cameras, 4TB hard drive.  It has some really nice controls and features in it.  More of the stuff I would expect in a "Professional" NVR system.  I've had it running for a few months without a hiccup.  I wanted the wired system over wifi, for reliability, and to keep wifi traffic at a minimum.  One thing I really like is that to use the remote access, you don't setup an account to give anyone any identifying information.  

You mentioned a keyboard on it, I tried, it didn't work, IIRC.  I will usually access it with the web interface, you just have to locate the IP address for it, and type that into your browser.  It's a bit more user friendly than the mouse and monitor connected to the unit.  It doesn't work in Chrome, so I use Internet Explorer.  

As for storage space, mine with the higher resolution cameras, only running 2 of them, I have 24/7 recordings since Feb 3, and it's just about to run out of space, and start overwriting.  

One thing I love about mine: I have one inside, pointing at a door, and monitoring the dining room/kitchen (kids.) I will pull up the cameras on my iPad, the use Google home to broadcast through the Google Mini, and freak the kids out!  It's funny to watch!

I did some research and the system is based on a Chinese system, but at a better price, with the WD name behind it. If I need to add more cameras, I might just buy a complete second system, because it comes out cheaper than 4 cameras!

• Upvote 1

for some reason I had to take mine apart and plug the HD back in.  the serial cable wasn't connected all the way on the motherboard.  but now it's working.  qc issue.  I'm just glad I don't have to take it back because I just got done installing the damn cameras all day.  

Edited by serpentracer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2020 at 4:40 PM, M_Quick said:

Are those cameras just for inside use? I see it says dust- and water resistant, but not water proof?

indoor and outdoor.   they're weatherproof rating is IP67.   6 means dust tight   7 means immersion up to 1M of water. cables have a water resistant coupler.     http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

their housing is metal.   for the record they were selling for $159.99

Edited by serpentracer

• 3 months later...

In keeping with the spirit of the "cheap" aspect, I got the Arlo Pro 2 (4 camera) on sale.  I think they are a few generations behind their current versions, but should have suited my needs.  I'm having trouble syncing the cameras with the base station.  Tried "tech support", ended up returning the first one, and still same issues with the second one.  Maybe something with my router or wi-fi?  I am ready to return these and spend a little more for the newest ones.  Can't do a hardwire system - too difficult with my house.  Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...