new house, neighbors from hell...WTF

serpentracer

so I finally got into my new home.  but all is not well.  when I was moving in on a saturday first thing the neighbor did was come up to the wood fence and say hello.  immediately told me about how the old owner let him park in my driveway and use his garage.  I though ok, cool story.  didn't think much about it.  I though ok he seems cool already making a point to say hello.  

by sunday the neighbor is driving over my grass and using my driveway.   the 2 driveways are about 30" apart with grass in between  (mud now).  they have turned my yard into a mud pit driving through my side and out my driveway because they don't want to come out and move their cars.   they just use it like it's theirs and I should accept it. they do it even when I'm standing right there.  I was like wtf how brazen of a fucking asshole someone has to be to just do that.   it's been 2 weeks i've lived here and they just get more and more brazen about it.  even parking in my driveway all day blocking it even when my family is at home.   on sunday the guy flew through my driveway faster than I do and I have 2 dogs he could have ran over. 

I just can't fucking believe I have to have a conversation right off the bat with these people.  so yesterday my girl had her car in my driveway and she didn't come out to move it before I got home.  neighbor was out front sweeping his sidewalk of grass clippings.  yeah, he keeps his shit super nice but drives through my yard making a mud hole.  perfect timing to say something.   so I said "I notice you are using my driveway, is that grass yours or mine or half and half?"  he admitted most of it is actually mine. I said man I don't like the mud hole and your leaving mud on my driveway.   so I thought he got the hint.  that was yesterday. today, they did it all fucking day again. and parked their jeep in my driveway all day long.   

I've never encountered such assholes in my life.  the fact they didn't even ask me to use it just lites a fire under my ass that makes me want to rage and do stupid shit. so instead I was sitting here typing up a letter to leave on all their cars. but I'd rather not get into this shit with someone I live next to.  but they are forcing me into a corner.   now I'm thinking they will have people break into my garage and steal my bike and tools.  

what would you guys do?  legal advice and all. In the letter I told them I'm going to install cameras with wifi so I can monitor the house 24/7 and every offence I will be sending the picture to the police and a $200 bill for access to my driveway for each offence.    I'm legally allowed to do that right?  also, is it a insurance liability issue?  

If it has not been expressed clearly and blatantly you need to do that first. Hoping that people "got the hint" just dose not cut it any more. People just don;t have common courtesy or common sense anymore. People don't even respect their own property now day so definatly won't respect others. 

Tonik and Tim are right. No letters or anything at this point. Tell him straight up he can’t do it and go from there. Hopefully he will respect your request. 

I agree with Tonic (I know it's a K), seems like your new neighbor can't take a hint. I would say it nicely to him you don't want him driving over the grass or parking in YOUR driveway. If he is as dense as he seems and he continues then use documents and monitoring for legal actions. 

Edited by ricer1

When I moved into my old house, the neighbor came over and told me that the previous owners would cut their grass for them and they didn't even own a lawn mower.

I told them them that I don't even like cutting my own grass, so they should buy one or hire a lawn service.

Point = new owner, shit changes.

Draft the letter and keep it. It’ll make you feel better but don’t use it, yet. Like others have said, verbally tell him(again) that you don’t want them using your driveway. Starting today, I would keep a running log of how many times you get physically see them use your yard/driveway.

A fence is a great idea but it looks like that might be a ln awkward spot to put one but a few well placed large rocks(with some landscaping around them) should do the trick and will clean up the look of the mudpit! 

When the guy brought it up the first time you met him he was giving you the opportunity to tell him to stop. You didn't, so he is assuming it is still ok. So far, I really think this is just a communication issue. Stay cool, don't let this drag out cuz you will just get more pissed and chat with the guy.

• Like 1

How did they "use" the garage? Do they have a key or a door opener? 

I would speak with them. I had to tell the people across our alley that our yard was not their kids playground when we moved in.

You could edge your drive with flower pots and large rocks.

Don't end up on an episode of neighbor's from hell....

Edited by snot
  • Like 1

I was going to say, slash the tires and tell them your ex must of thought it was your new vehicle.

If speaking does not work, tell them you will have the vehicle towed and a report for property damage will be filed with the courts and your insurance.

Edited by snot
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

I wouldn't do anything other than tell them what ever arrangement they had with the old owners ended when they moved. 

I wouldn't make it a confrontation because you're going to have to live next to them.    

I agree with Tpoppa. It's is your property. You make the rules. If they continue to trespass, time to take legal action. Also, I would fully document everything in writing, and include photos when applicable. Be nice and calm in your interactions.

4 hours ago, snot said:

How did they "use" the garage? Do they have a key or a door opener? 

I would speak with them. I had to tell the people across our alley that our yard was not their kids playground when we moved in.

You could edge your drive with flower pots and large rocks.

Don't end up on an episode of neighbor's from hell....

I think they do have one. 2 doors but only 3 remotes for the car.  One is missing.  First thing I did was reset the codes and reprogrammed the remaining 3 openers. Thankfully genie has that as a feature on these models if you lose one.  And I reprogrammed the keypads with new passwords

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, serpentracer said:

I think they do have one. 2 doors but only 3 remotes for the car.  One is missing.  First thing I did was reset the codes and reprogrammed the remaining 3 openers. Thankfully genie has that as a feature on these models if you lose one.  And I reprogrammed the keypads with new passwords

That should be that for the garage part of the problem.

23 minutes ago, serpentracer said:

Honestly, I think that is something that is supposed to be disclosed on the sales agreement.  ALL keys/openers are supposed to be turned over to the new owners.  

Any access that is granted to the property should have been disclosed also.

I'd call your agent on those.

4 hours ago, snot said:

So, when are you moving again? 

We decided when we find our next place we are going to scope it out better, we have a few bad neighbors. 

next month lol.  the damn real estate market was so damn hot you had no time to sit and investigate anything.  I should have trusted my gut and passed on this one.  live and learn.  maybe I'll stay for about 5 years and move on.   I'm not going to update anything. 

thanks for all the advice so far.  I decided to play it cool and talk to them again.  maybe we can fill it in with concrete.  he pays for it he can use my driveway but if not Ill have no choice but to bill him for a landscaper to fix it and no more using the driveway.

it just chaps my ass.  I'd rather throat punch him.    btw, a R1 with a Hindle exhaust is really fucking loud....motogp bike loud.   I can be an asshole if they want 

Edited by serpentracer
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Casper said:

Tell him your old neighbor let you sleep with his wife/girlfriend. Should end this pretty quickly. 

Whoa! Who's the fuck'n new guy? :lol: Welcome back ghost man. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Haha 3