Riding During the COVID-19 Dilemma

Shoop

So, who has changed their riding habits, or stopped for a bit?

I hope this thread will stay objective and respectful, but we all know better... For the record, I am tasked to go to work M,W,F to run some samples. My company is taking good measures to prevent exposure. I am very concerned about the employment situation for the rest of the area. I understand the desire to get back to normal, but I don't think it's time, yet. 

Anyway, I have been riding, pretty much to my typical schedule. I ride to work except when there's ice on the roads or it's raining. I've been taking pleasure rides most weekends, either solo or with my neighbors. Visited Hawk's Nest SP about two weekends ago with two others. 

One of the few reasoned discussions that I have seen was from a guy in NJ who asked us to consider the overload levels in whatever hospitals are in the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvLNzElW4A0

But he was in JERSEY, where the 'rona was and remains rampant. I have relatives (some are nurses) just the other side of the border w NY and it's pretty grim there. I would not want to be the happy winner of an ambulance ride into that mess. Or to add to the healthcare worker's burden. If I lived there, the bikes would be parked. But that makes me wonder what the situation is like for hospitals closer to home.

Which brings me back to my intended question - Does anybody here @NinjaDoc have insight on the status of COVID-19 overload in area hospitals, in OH or in the newsworthy low impact rate state of WV? OTOH, I heard a few weeks ago, that Ruby Memorial in Morgantown WV was fairly busy w COVID-19.

I feel like I'm starting an oil thread. Yikes.

Chris

I been struggling with this question a lot. As with most questions in life the right answer lies in a spectrum between “ride” - “never ride”  But to be 100% honest and truthful I would say - don’t ride. But life is not black and white like that, it’s a grey zone and every decision we take has tons of factors to consider. I looked at it these ways to come up with my decision to ride ( mainly because I am overwhelmingly biased towards motorcycling) 

1. DONT-  if you have high risk factors that can lead to risky case of covid don’t for your own personal safety. 

2 DONT - if you have high risk family friends living with you or who interact with you constant basis

3 DONT - if the area your residing and traveling is high impact zones with high risk exposure, stretched healthcare system etc 

All other aspects wise there is almost no interactions with rest of the world for “our” style of riding. For the whole day at best two card swipes and handle touches at gas station and that too gloved and stuff. PPE wise we are doing the top lvl coverage. Infact we might be least risky compared to folks going out for shopping walk or run during these days. The hospital system at least that I cover is fairly stabilized since most other cases almost completely disappeared. Even heard some colleagues mentions census went down in some areas to the point they had to cut back on shifts etc,  so whole heartedly I convinced myself in the very odd rare scenario of a get off I am not making things worse. For sure not the surgical ortho guys who are just chilling now. I justified myself the risk is almost comparable to the risk of day to day activity of 100 other people driving to work etc.

Any ways, despite me trying to convince myself the answer remains - don’t ride, but we are only humans and we are flawed. 

@NinjaDoc can you comment on if the health systems are overloaded with COVID-19 patients. 

I feel that in Ohio it really hasn't had much of an impact and there is still plenty of capacity.

I know places like NYC and New Jersey the hospitals are at capacity and if you did have an off that required care you would 1. be taking resources needed to care for COVID-19 patients and 2. increasing your exposure to the disease. In Ohio it seems that would be much less of an issue. 

I plan to ride as often as I can. Nobody can predict the future. If anything, the roads are safer now. Traffic is gone. This month I have driven to Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois and down 77 to Charlotte last Friday, home on Saturday..back to Charlotte on Wednesday and I should be home by Wednesday. The freeway through the mountains has been enjoyable for a change. I am working my ass off keeping distribution centers open, but am restricted to car travel within 700 miles, or 10 hours. Once the country begins to open up, I will be fucked. 

You bet your ass I am taking advantage of this opportunity. Call it selfish, irresponsible... call it whatever you like. My mental health isn't going to suffer because of this. I need to ride my bike. 

Edited by Pauly
  • Upvote 2

Actually been riding more than usual, when the weather cooperates. Only difference is, I'm not permitted to leave the state per my employer. Not even sure why this is a question. When you ride the only interaction you should have with anyone or anything is the gas pump. The question about the hospitals is null in my opinion. Less traffic right now so less retards to run into you. As far as the your fault accidents that's simple too, take less risk and don't be a shity rider. :dunno: 

9 hours ago, CBBaron said:

@NinjaDoc can you comment on if the health systems are overloaded with COVID-19 patients. 

I feel that in Ohio it really hasn't had much of an impact and there is still plenty of capacity.

I know places like NYC and New Jersey the hospitals are at capacity and if you did have an off that required care you would 1. be taking resources needed to care for COVID-19 patients and 2. increasing your exposure to the disease. In Ohio it seems that would be much less of an issue. 

The area I cover at least is not In panic stretched  staff and system, ER is not flooded than usual, floors are less crowded since non covid cases drastically dropped. It’s like people finally decided to take meds on time, not skip dialysis then show up at er or simply not just walk into hospital on a whim. 

but if you have to end up going to the ED from a get off, you can almost guarantee yourself your getting it. 

Again as I previously mentioned I don’t know the right answer, scratch that right answer will be don’t ride but it’s not the perfect answer. During these stressful times riding is the only thing I look forward to, riding is the only way to attain nirvana without bothering others directly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoDAF said:

I work with chains moving 200+ ft/min. My motorcycle has neither chain, nor respiratory system. Clearly, I am safer on the bike than I am at work. 

I was thinking the same thing. I'm far more likely be injured at work than anywhere else, even on the bike.  And I'm here (at work)half the time that I'm awake. 

53 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Riding is a risk we accept. Riding now increases the risk. I will still ride, but I am slowing down considerably.

@NinjaDoc would tell you to slow down, but as soon as he hits a good twisty road those restrictions get loosened up. 😁

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, durk said:

@NinjaDoc would tell you to slow down, but as soon as he hits a good twisty road those restrictions get loosened up. 😁

Oh I learned long ago not to listen to him on what pace is or may be. He advertised a ride starting near Youngstown once. It was Mach Retard before we even left the meetup point.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1