Gun advice

durk

Have some crazy crap going on out here in the sticks tonight. There’s a guy on the loose who is armed and dangerous. There actually was an alert put out about the guy that came across my mother-in-law’s phone. Rumor of gunfire exchanged between him and a home owner. Enough about the back story. The question is this. What is a good gun for home protection? I would like to be able to use the gun for taking care of rodents around the farm as well. If that’s 2 separate firearms let me know.

Shotgun. VR80 is gonna be my next. 

Pretty much any handgun 9mm or bigger would be fine. 

I just built a dedicated bump in the night "pistol" though too which is chambered in 300blk which is a very suppressor friendly round.. Which is the end goal. 

You can't really go wrong here... I think chances of you ever needing said firearm are small enough that if/when you do, anything adequate will be enough.

Go buy VR80 shotty and load it with your flavor of round, slap a light on it and call it good. 

• Upvote 1

The biggest hand cannon you are comfortable shooting. I would assume you would be fine with a good full frame 45. My wife who is not strong and never a gun nut is deadly with ours.

I am a huge fan of the FN 45. 16 rounds, not much kick and it is SA/DA. So you can store it decocked and the first shot is a long trigger pull DA. So really safe in the nightstand. Then the second and on is single action, quick short pull.

But there are tons of good guns out there. It boils down to what feels good in your hand.

For the rodents, depends how far away. A small bore rifle like a 22 if they are far. Shotgun if they are close. Nothing wrong with an AR either for that. And you are covered for zombies.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Tonik said:

My first choice.

The biggest hand cannon you are comfortable shooting. I would assume you would be fine with a good full frame 45. My wife who is not strong and never a gun nut is deadly with ours.

I am a huge fan of the FN 45. 16 rounds, not much kick and it is SA/DA. So you can store it decocked and the first shot is a long trigger pull DA. So really safe in the nightstand. Then the second and on is single action, quick short pull.

But there are tons of good guns out there. It boils down to what feels good in your hand.

For the rodents, depends how far away. A small bore rifle like a 22 if they are far. Shotgun if they are close. Nothing wrong with an AR either for that. And you are covered for zombies.

I LOVE da/sa triggers. Now that I'm more comfortable with guns than I used to be, any trigger is fine. But I always appreciate the long first pull of da/sa. I just spent over a grand on a bedside rifle, but if someone kicked my door in, my 40 cal handgun is going to be the go to just because it's got one in the pipe ready to go and it's way easier to deploy than a rifle. I have a hk p2000sk and the da/sa trigger is the "worst" one you can get... But I love it. 

On that note... I once shot a racoon with 4 40. Cal Speer gold dots and he kept kicking... At $2 a round I stopped shootings and went in the house... Came out 10min later and the thing was finally done kicking... I'm not sold on ANY handgun round being adequate to put down varmint (quickly/humanely). Shotty will cover both scenarios. 

Also, if you're truly just killing rats, you can buy a cheap air rifle at Walmart... Ruger even make one.. Like $125 for a good one... You don't need a real gun for rats. I'd buy a nice handgun or shotty for intruders and a little 22 (or 17hmr) for your varmints 

Edited by Steve Butters
  • Upvote 1

Not a fan of shotguns for home defense. If the SHTF indoors that barrel can be a problem. That said I understand the benefit of only having to pull the trigger once. Tuff call. But the real answer to 'what is the best gun' is the one you have in your hand when you need it. 

12 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

If you are aware someone is in the house but don't have line of sight, how successful would a starter pistol be to avoid confrontation and penetration issues?  with real firepower should it escalate.

Warn him that he has been discovered and you are armed? Naw, I am finding him and shooting him many many times.

12 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Warn him that he has been discovered and you are armed? Naw, I am finding him and shooting him many many times.

The guys we took the class with said if your going to shoot,  empty the mag. A dead man can't try to sue you or tell lies about what happen. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

The guys we took the class with said if your going to shoot,  empty the mag. A dead man can't try to sue you or tell lies about what happen. 

For me the decision is more basic than that. If I have to shoot that means I am defending my life. That means shoot until the threat is for sure neutralized.

• Upvote 1

If any of you actually have tried to maneuver around your house with an AR/ Shotgun/ or anything with any sizable barrel, you're going to realize real quick that's not going to be real easy to clear your house with unless you have a larger home with an open floor plan. For me living in a Lakewood house, there's no way I'm clearing my house with a rife or shotgun, it's just too big. I've practiced doing so and barrel length makes it real awkward, I cant pie the rooms out like I should. Clearing my house with a handgun is much easier, faster and more efficient and I take less risk doing so as.

Handgun for me in home defense, FNX40 with a light, specifically. Same thing as Jim has just in .40 cal.

Get a .22lr to shoot rodents. 

Edited by TimTheAzn

I keep a couple 9mm around the house and a 38 in the truck. There is a 12ga double barrel coach gun by the front door, we call that the porch gun. Nothing says "get off my lawn" like a blonde headed firecracker standing over you on the front porch with a double load of 00 buck shot with hammers back. Plus the 12ga blast tends to get the Cyotes out of the yard a little quicker. 

I'm lucky enough to have multiple choices for house guns but for the new buyer I usually give this as advice.  If you think in the future you might get your concealed carry permit and money is an issue, buy the handgun for self defense at home and then you have it for later if you get your permit and wanted to carry it all the time.  If you feel you can afford two firearms or you never intend to carry a concealed pistol buy the shotgun for the house.  If two guns fit your budget still buy the shotgun first and then the pistol.  A 12 gauge pump gun may be less maneuverable inside the home than a pistol but you are also bringing substantially more lethality with you to the fight.  I have a collapsible stock and 18" barrel on a Mossberg 500 and it makes for a great/inexpensive defense shotgun.

IMG_5253.JPG

Fatal funnel. We do not "clear" houses. G.I. Joe does that. Retreat to the most secure room in the house if you cannot escape. Point the barrel at the entry point for that room and call 911. Tell them where you are and that you are prepared to use deadly force. 

"Clear the house". :lol:

Not a lot of experience with guns here. My wife actually has more experience with guns. She grew up hunting and shooting as a kid. She’s a farm girl. That’s why I now have 4 steers, 1 cow, and 1 heifer. Thanks for the advice. 

12 minutes ago, CoDAF said:

Fatal funnel. We do not "clear" houses. G.I. Joe does that. Retreat to the most secure room in the house if you cannot escape. Point the barrel at the entry point for that room and call 911. Tell them where you are and that you are prepared to use deadly force. 

"Clear the house". :lol:

what if your family is spread from 1 end of the house to the other?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Hence the multiple guns around the house and everyone in the house knows how to handle them and where they are.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Then do what you must to collect them and exit the house? The goal is not saving the house. The goal is exiting the scenario with minimal loss of life. What happens to your family when you get shot trying to hunt down an anknown enemy? Now they are 100% defenseless because the only person with a "plan" is now dead. You have zero idea how many, what they are armed with and how serious the threat happens to be. Looking for the baddies doesn't make sense from a tactical perspective. 

This goes to the actual preparedness of your family in case of an emergency. Figuring it out beforehand is what saves lives. Playing "John Rambo" when actual lives are on the line is ignorant. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, CoDAF said:

Then do what you must to collect them and exit the house? The goal is not saving the house. The goal is exiting the scenario with minimal loss of life. What happens to your family when you get shot trying to hunt down an anknown enemy? Now they are 100% defenseless because the only person with a "plan" is now dead. You have zero idea how many, what they are armed with and how serious the threat happens to be. Looking for the baddies doesn't make sense from a tactical perspective. 

This goes to the actual preparedness of your family in case of an emergency. Figuring it out beforehand is what saves lives. Playing "John Rambo" when actual lives are on the line is ignorant. 

Devil's advocate, I also have no idea how many are waiting outside.

Just now, motocat12 said:

Devil's advocate, I also have no idea how many are waiting outside.

Nope. But you know 100% for sure there are baddies inside. Figuring out the best place to be in a shootout is key. Some place where a hailstorm of defense rounds can be fired at a single entry point is a pretty good start.