WTB beginner bike

Jared

Hey fellas, I'm looking for a small bike to teach my wife how to ride, she doesn't yet have her permit, (nor can she get it with everything being closed) so no real hurry in finding something. If it's been dropped, that's great, she doesn't know how to work a clutch in a car or bike and it'll probably go down again. Carburated is fine, maybe an older Ninja 250, tu250, rebel, etc. Thanks! 

Edited by Jared

Does she have an aversion to scooters? Those can be cheap, reliable and take a lot of stress out of learnig how to navigate traffic and getting famiar with two-wheeled maneuvers. She can learn the fundamentals of motorcycle safety and ease into the mechanical inputs. She will have braking and countersteering under her belt, which will make focusing on shifting less daunting. 

1 hour ago, CoDAF said:

Does she have an aversion to scooters? Those can be cheap, reliable and take a lot of stress out of learnig how to navigate traffic and getting famiar with two-wheeled maneuvers. She can learn the fundamentals of motorcycle safety and ease into the mechanical inputs. She will have braking and countersteering under her belt, which will make focusing on shifting less daunting. 

No, scooters are fine, too. I would take it slow teaching her and get her into the msf class asap.

17 minutes ago, Jared said:

No, scooters are fine, too. I would take it slow teaching her and get her into the msf class asap.

I don't have anything for sale. I was just offering an often overlooked approach for new riders. I think we all sort of take the knowledge of riding for granted. Plus, for a lot of women, and quite a few men, motorcycles are heavy and intimidating. This adds to the anxiety. 

@jacobhawkins

Honestly, she should take the beginners course offered by either BMV or MSF.

They will teach her EVERYTHING.... And provide the bike. If she hates it you are out less than $100. No bike to purchase, no insurance to worry about etc... If she loves it let her pick her first bike.

I took the course and it was less stressful than having my hubby try to teach me. And, it kept us from fighting... I had no bad habits to break and I took my test during the class, no separate fees for a test or worries about setting up a time. She stills a temp. permit before taking the class or you teaching her.

A good first bike is a ninja 250 after she learns to ride.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jared said:

Jared, what about a Honda Grom or the new Monkey? They're inexpensive new, and have good resale value once she is ready to move up to a larger bike.

They also perform more like a real bike than a scooter. Also, both are very agile.

Edited by SpecialEd

5 hours ago, CoDAF said:

When I took the MSF class in Ohio, a woman showed up on an orange scooter, brand new off the lot. She said she didn't understand a clutch and just wanted something easy. She was the only person in the entire class that dropped their bike; I'm not all that convinced they're so much easier.

To be fair though, my mother took the MSF and dropped a bike during the final exam and shredded her knee ligaments. So it obviously goes both ways. I just always remember that woman on the scooter. I guess the advanced maneuvers were too much for her level of experience.

OP, If you buy her a scooter she would have to take it to the class (they won't supply one, so she'd have to take hers or learn on a motorcycle). In that case, it may be good for her to learn how to ride the thing around your neighborhood before she goes to the class so she can at least have some basic knowledge/comfort. While I know we all preach safety first, a scooter is no different than a big freakin moped to me and, idk about yall, but i know a ton of people - myself included - who rode those things around as kids with no formal training or license or any of that stuff. I could really say the same about dirt bike riders who learned at a young age.

The MSF is a very valuable class and I would never advocate somebody riding without taking it. However, I personally see no issue getting to know the vehicle you're operating before taking a class in/on it. In a similar way that shifting adds to the stress, so can being in a class environment surrounded by people who may or may not already know how to ride, and who may or may not be snickering at your scooter.

4 hours ago, snot said:

@jacobhawkins

Honestly, she should take the beginners course offered by either BMV or MSF.

They will teach her EVERYTHING.... And provide the bike. If she hates it you are out less than $100. No bike to purchase, no insurance to worry about etc... If she loves it let her pick her first bike.

I took the course and it was less stressful than having my hubby try to teach me. And, it kept us from fighting... I had no bad habits to break and I took my test during the class, no separate fees for a test or worries about setting up a time. She stills a temp. permit before taking the class or you teaching her.

A good first bike is a ninja 250 after she learns to ride.

Thanks for the idea and perspective. Like I said, no real rush, so maybe her taking the class beats me finding a deal I can't pass up. I can always store the bike and if she decides against it, resell it later on. I took the class and still have the manual, I'd teach her everything the right way and make a couple days of the small stuff. I definitely don't want to rush her and make her uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, SpecialEd said:

Jared, what about a Honda Grom or the new Monkey? They're inexpensive new, and have good resale value once she is ready to move up to a larger bike.

They also perform more like a real bike than a scooter. Also, both are very agile.

I'd like to avoid buying new, probably looking $2000 or under, that way if she drops it, it's no big deal. I did look into the Z125, but ultimately decided something older and beat on would be best to learn.

5 hours ago, CoDAF said:

I don't have anything for sale. I was just offering an often overlooked approach for new riders. I think we all sort of take the knowledge of riding for granted. Plus, for a lot of women, and quite a few men, motorcycles are heavy and intimidating. This adds to the anxiety. 

CoDaf, to your point, the LAST thing I would want to ride is a large bike like a Harley. 

I don't know how many couples survive being trained by their other half vs MSF. But, I know it can be embarrassing and stressful when someone you want to impress is trying to teach you something you are nervous about....

There are other advantages too. Like, discounts on insurance and a closed course.

A Honda CFR100 is an option too for learning. There are a few people here that would buy it after she is done with it. 

Oh, and if it helps have her join the forum.... There is a women's only section.... It's almost never used but it is there.

1 minute ago, snot said:

trying to teach you something

It's one thing to know how to do something, it is another to be able to teach it. That is really what MSF instructors excel at. They know how to teach it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CoDAF said:

I picked up a 2004 Ninja 250 w/ 6k miles for $1,000 last summer. He was asking $1700. 

Well if you want to sell it down the road, gimmie a yell! 😏