Hello from Utica, OH

Jared

Hello all, from Utica, OH. Been riding a year, just started riding with my wife this year. Have done about 4500 miles thus far, hoping to do at least 5500 this year. Commute (when I have a job to ride to) and ride on weekends as much as possible.

Thanks, I've been looking around. Neat that there's even an internal sales page, probably takes a lot of the bs out of deals. Most guys from Columbus area on here?

Yeah licking county has nice roads for the most part, Johnstown is terrible for some reason. I'm working from home for now, so am really only able to get out on weekends if weather permits.

10 minutes ago, Jared said:

Yeah licking county has nice roads for the most part, Johnstown is terrible for some reason. I'm working from home for now, so am really only able to get out on weekends if weather permits.

What kind of work do you do?

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Howdy and welcome @Jared! I'm just up the road.  I live in Fredericktown and work in Mount Vernon. Maybe do some riding sometime together. 

Would be awesome! How tall are you by the way? I'm 6'6" 😁

14 minutes ago, Shoop said:

Hello and Welcome. 

Nice bike, and I'm happy for you that your wife likes riding. 

Chris

Thank you, I'm glad as well. Took some convincing and a very slow trip around town, but now she does good with it. Looking into getting Bluetooth headsets, think that'll make it much more enjoyable!

Yes, the headsets make it better for the wife. I like mine for music when she's not along. I have a pair of Sena SMH 10R which are getting to be older but they work fine and we don't need the extra distance and connectability that the newer units offer. 

5 minutes ago, Shoop said:

Yes, the headsets make it better for the wife. I like mine for music when she's not along. I have a pair of Sena SMH 10R which are getting to be older but they work fine and we don't need the extra distance and connectability that the newer units offer. 

I am looking at the SMH5, she doesn't have her own bike yet, so just bare bones should work. Dual pack is $179 on RevZilla, too, which seems like a good deal.

One thing to consider with the 5 - a few years ago, that model could only connect with one other unit. Fine for riding with the wife, but then if you ride in a group you must choose between talking with the wife or talking to the group. Though if the other unit is a Sena 10 or above you should be able to network both in. Not real simple though. 

OTOH my neighbor says the lit for his 5, newer than my 10, is able to connect to up to three others. Sena seems to add features to their older models every now and then. He's never been able to get it to work with more than the one other 5. But he doesn't seem to like talking to other riders anyway and it's not fun sitting aroud in your gear trying to connect to others.

A pair of SMH10R's is about $100 extra. Just a thought.

8 hours ago, Jared said:

Would be awesome! How tall are you by the way? I'm 6'6" 😁

You got me by a couple I'm 6'4". Damn how do you 2up on that 600 being so tall?

Edited by 2talltim

7 hours ago, Jared said:

I am looking at the SMH5, she doesn't have her own bike yet, so just bare bones should work. Dual pack is $179 on RevZilla, too, which seems like a good deal.

SMH10 or higher is worth the extra change. Keep an eye our on here and other forums sometimes folks sell lightly used ones for a good price. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Shoop said:

One thing to consider with the 5 - a few years ago, that model could only connect with one other unit. Fine for riding with the wife, but then if you ride in a group you must choose between talking with the wife or talking to the group. Though if the other unit is a Sena 10 or above you should be able to network both in. Not real simple though. 

OTOH my neighbor says the lit for his 5, newer than my 10, is able to connect to up to three others. Sena seems to add features to their older models every now and then. He's never been able to get it to work with more than the one other 5. But he doesn't seem to like talking to other riders anyway and it's not fun sitting aroud in your gear trying to connect to others.

A pair of SMH10R's is about $100 extra. Just a thought.

Ok, yeah I'll probably go with those then. Just started looking into them yesterday. The 10s have the radio functionality still, correct?

47 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

You got me by a couple I'm 6'4". Damn how do you 2up on that 600 being so tall?

I'm more torso, only 34" inseam, there's no height restriction on a bike like in a car, so long as your legs fit 😁 it's also more of a standard seating position.