Brake light works but have no tail light/running lights

Kawi89

I have a 1989 Kawasaki Vulcan 454 LTD and I recently put new turn signals in the turn signals work but now I have no running lights or tail lights but the brake light still works any advice???

Sounds like a wiring error. Get a volt meter and start checking which wire is hot ignition on / off. Turn signals on / off.

The new turn signals should have three wires, 1 for ground, 1 for turn and 1 for running lights. 

Something is wired backwards if the old ones worked and the new ones don't. 

Hope this helps.

This recently happened to me.  My issue was that while testing the circuit to determine running vs turning lights, I shorted something and blew my tail light fuse.  For some reason I don't fully understand, this meant I had a brake light but no tail, running, or turning lights.  I was still testing 2V on the turn signal circuits, not enough to make them flash.  When I found the blown fuse for the tail light, it all went back to normal.

Your circuit sounds different, but could be a similar issue.  I am sure you've checked for blown fuses though?

6 hours ago, Strictly Street said:

Sounds like a wiring error. Get a volt meter and start checking which wire is hot ignition on / off. Turn signals on / off.

The new turn signals should have three wires, 1 for ground, 1 for turn and 1 for running lights. 

Something is wired backwards if the old ones worked and the new ones don't. 

Hope this helps.

Yes my front two turn signals are 3 wire design while my rear two are two wire design. the blinkers are working as far as turn signals go but no running lights tail light or plate lights. the brake light is still working and my bike doesn’t have a fuse box just one 30 amp fuse and from what I can see it’s still good.