Jump to content
Jcarlson

Stuck Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Recommended Posts

Trying to remove the pipes from a 650 VSTAR and the header bolts are frozen solid.  They're Alan head bolts and I've doused them with PB Blaster to no avail.  Is there another way?

I can't really get in there with a torch without disassembling half the bike so I really don't want to do that.

What's next?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, I would disassemble and heat them. You do not want to break them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CRC freeze spay, will an impact gun fit?. I used heat and candle wax on a tough car axle bolt.

Edited by motocat12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Candle wax?  I have an impact wrench but it's not a good one, it's a little Ryobi and it doesn't have enough torque.

What about a little torch like the crack heads use?  Is that hot enough?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jcarlson said:

Candle wax?  I have an impact wrench but it's not a good one, it's a little Ryobi and it doesn't have enough torque.

What about a little torch like the crack heads use?  Is that hot enough?

Sorry the wax would be for an open nut. That would be harder for an allen head. Impacts are more about the impacts than the torque.

What about warming the engine then an ice cube on the bolt?expand the hole and contract the bolt.

Edited by motocat12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have half of it off already and didn't want to reassemble it.  Otherwise I'd just take it somewhere, which is what I should have done in the first place.

I'm removing short shots and putting OEM back on (wife's bike and she doesn't like loud pipes, don't ask 😒).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PB Blaster - Nada!  CRC Freeze off - Zippo!  Was told to try MAPP Gas torch.  We'll see how that goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Step 1 - penetrating oil

Step 2 - heat

Step 3 - wait

Step 4 - try to loosen the fastener

Step 5 - return to Step 1 as many times as necessary 

 

Heat opens up the joint and lets the solvent penetrate.  General consensus says that Kroil is the best but it's harder to find than PB Blaster.  YMMV

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe use your impact to shake it a bit? Even though it's a weak one the shakes that the bolt will get from using it helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always find working the fastener tighter helps with getting the penetrating oil into the threads.  work it loose and tight a few times and it comes right off.  sometimes it will help to wire brush the crud off the exposed threads.  

Edited by serpentracer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I trick I use for disc brake rotor is also good for stubborn fasteners. Take a point punch and firmly tap the head of the fastener with one or two strikes. (Don't go Crazy)

This will loosen the thread locker or rust in your case. Then apply penetrating oil. If the bolt head is facing horizontal or down, spray the bolt head and spray compressed air also to help with penetration. Sorry for all the sexual word usage in my answer.

Edited by B-Mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B-Mac said:

I trick I use for disc brake rotor is also good for stubborn fasteners. Take a point punch and firmly tap the head of the fastener with one or two strikes. (Don't go Crazy)

This will loosen the thread locker or rust in your case. Then apply penetrating oil. If the bolt head is facing horizontal or down, spray the bolt head and spray compressed air also to help with penetration. Sorry for all the sexual word usage in my answer.

It's none of my business, but I certainly hope the word *punch* does not describe a part of your sexual repertoire. Fuck it--to each his own 🤪 Never mind . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

It's none of my business, but I certainly hope the word *punch* does not describe a part of your sexual repertoire. Fuck it--to each his own 🤪 Never mind . . .

You are right. It's none of your business But... since you are requesting more knowledge let me take you back to the 70's when we found humor at bad things.

X rated not for the easily triggered. Just for you ED.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, B-Mac said:

You are right. It's none of your business But... since you are requesting more knowledge let me take you back to the 70's when we found humor at bad things.

X rated not for the easily triggered. Just for you ED.

 

I will write back when I stop laughing--which may be never.

Edited by SpecialEd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...