Stuck Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Jcarlson

Trying to remove the pipes from a 650 VSTAR and the header bolts are frozen solid.  They're Alan head bolts and I've doused them with PB Blaster to no avail.  Is there another way?

I can't really get in there with a torch without disassembling half the bike so I really don't want to do that.

What's next?

9 minutes ago, Jcarlson said:

Candle wax?  I have an impact wrench but it's not a good one, it's a little Ryobi and it doesn't have enough torque.

What about a little torch like the crack heads use?  Is that hot enough?

Sorry the wax would be for an open nut. That would be harder for an allen head. Impacts are more about the impacts than the torque.

What about warming the engine then an ice cube on the bolt?expand the hole and contract the bolt.

Edited by motocat12

I have half of it off already and didn't want to reassemble it.  Otherwise I'd just take it somewhere, which is what I should have done in the first place.

I'm removing short shots and putting OEM back on (wife's bike and she doesn't like loud pipes, don't ask 😒).

Step 1 - penetrating oil

Step 2 - heat

Step 3 - wait

Step 4 - try to loosen the fastener

Step 5 - return to Step 1 as many times as necessary 

Heat opens up the joint and lets the solvent penetrate.  General consensus says that Kroil is the best but it's harder to find than PB Blaster.  YMMV

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I always find working the fastener tighter helps with getting the penetrating oil into the threads.  work it loose and tight a few times and it comes right off.  sometimes it will help to wire brush the crud off the exposed threads.  

Edited by serpentracer

I trick I use for disc brake rotor is also good for stubborn fasteners. Take a point punch and firmly tap the head of the fastener with one or two strikes. (Don't go Crazy)

This will loosen the thread locker or rust in your case. Then apply penetrating oil. If the bolt head is facing horizontal or down, spray the bolt head and spray compressed air also to help with penetration. Sorry for all the sexual word usage in my answer.

Edited by B-Mac

1 hour ago, B-Mac said:

I trick I use for disc brake rotor is also good for stubborn fasteners. Take a point punch and firmly tap the head of the fastener with one or two strikes. (Don't go Crazy)

This will loosen the thread locker or rust in your case. Then apply penetrating oil. If the bolt head is facing horizontal or down, spray the bolt head and spray compressed air also to help with penetration. Sorry for all the sexual word usage in my answer.

It's none of my business, but I certainly hope the word *punch* does not describe a part of your sexual repertoire. Fuck it--to each his own 🤪 Never mind . . .

5 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

It's none of my business, but I certainly hope the word *punch* does not describe a part of your sexual repertoire. Fuck it--to each his own 🤪 Never mind . . .

You are right. It's none of your business But... since you are requesting more knowledge let me take you back to the 70's when we found humor at bad things.

X rated not for the easily triggered. Just for you ED.

10 minutes ago, B-Mac said:

You are right. It's none of your business But... since you are requesting more knowledge let me take you back to the 70's when we found humor at bad things.

X rated not for the easily triggered. Just for you ED.

I will write back when I stop laughing--which may be never.

Edited by SpecialEd