2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, $5500

Pauly

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

*Gold Wing

It's on my list. You and I need to get in a ride so we can swap bikes for a few hundred miles. 

41 minutes ago, Howabusa said:

Going all beemer?

Not necessarily, but I am really impressed with the overall build of mine. I have not ridden a RT since the 1150.. which was boring as fuck. The 1200 is a hoot and the RT is the best BMW tourer with that engine. However, rumor has it the 2-up qualities of the GoldWing are damn impressive. 

I also find the Wing more visually apealing than the RT, but both are dynamite tourers... and I used to ride a 1st gen Multistrada. I am used to ugly. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

Other than a heated seat and a radio what will the RT have that the GSA is lacking?

Lower seat height, primarily. The GS is too tall for 2-up with my short legs. If the RT is too tall, I will have to disqualify it. This is where the GoldWing begins to gain momentum as the best overall option. 

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

The new RT is a fantastic machine.

Have you ridden one? It's the same style front end as mine. I figured you would hate it. 

54 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Lower seat height, primarily. The GS is too tall for 2-up with my short legs. If the RT is too tall, I will have to disqualify it. This is where the GoldWing begins to gain momentum as the best overall option. 

Have you ridden one? It's the same style front end as mine. I figured you would hate it. 

As much as I like the new LC RT, a used 2009+ will do just as nicely for 2 up riding.  And you can find them, well farkled, for just a little more than you are asking for your Duc.

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

That is why they make a low GSA and with a low seat it would easily be the superior choice over a Goldwing. One bike to conquer the world would be a Low GSA in your case, a Goldwing would mean you would have to get yet another bike to keep you interested in entertaining riding.

44 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

As much as I like the new LC RT, a used 2009+ will do just as nicely for 2 up riding.  And you can find them, well farkled, for just a little more than you are asking for your Duc.

I need to ride one. 

21 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

That is why they make a low GSA and with a low seat it would easily be the superior choice over a Goldwing. One bike to conquer the world would be a Low GSA in your case, a Goldwing would mean you would have to get yet another bike to keep you interested in entertaining riding.

I agree about the low suspension GSA, but I am keeping the one I have. The Goldwing would replace the Voyager.

24 minutes ago, Pauly said:

I need to ride one. 

I agree about the low suspension GSA, but I am keeping the one I have. The Goldwing would replace the Voyager

If you are planning multiday 2 up trips at at a faster pace than the Voyager can manage then your choices get limited.  The GW and the K1600 are going t have the best passenger accomodations, perhaps a used K1300.  Your pillion probably wouldn't be liking an RT so much after day 2 unless she has built significant fortitude.

I personally don't care to ride 2 up at a quick pace for multiple reasons.  Something like the Voyager would probably be enough for my 2 up needs.

The Voyager is very good 2-up. It is a lot better with fresh tires. She is quite happy with the Voyager. 

I rode a K1200GT and I do not like the lack of grunt from the inline. The bigger bike may be better, but I think the Wing's flat-six is more appealing. 

15 hours ago, Pauly said:

I have zero desire to ride it over the BMW. I am pushing toward trading the Vulcan and the Ducati in on a newer R1200RT for 2-up touring. 

I did nazi that coming.

• Upvote 1

• Pauly locked this topic