2021 BMW R18

Tpoppa

I was really hoping to like this thing, but...that riding position looks pretty funky.  Knees are to the top of the fuel tank.  The cylinder looks like it's right in the way of a comfortable riding position and being able to move your foot :(

Hopefully that's just a preproduction issue, but IDK.

032020-2021-bmw-r18-touring-04-633x356.j

Edited by Tpoppa

39 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Seems like a waste of BMW's time, to me. 

I was hoping the bagger version would have a little better cornering manners and be more function over form than a typical bagger.  

If that is the riding position on the production model, it will flop...like BMWs last cruiser attempt.

• Upvote 1

I've already gone on record publicly as stating this is the most inexplicable and stupid thing BMW has done since it "invented" power brakes. And it's probably worse than that. Even worse than its last failed attempt at a cruiser.

Big cruisers were the fastest declining category in U.S. motorcycle sales last year and outside the U.S. big cruisers are a novelty, an oddity, or worse. Usually just ignored. So you build an expensive bike for the most rapidly dying segment and turn your boxer engine, which was traditionally loved for providing lots of torque in an engine that felt light, into a monstrous lump. This thing is going to be such a failure it will make the R 1200 C Montauk look good.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the retro BMW paint.  That exhaust is gawd awful.   

As stupid as forward controls are, the cruiser crowd likes them...that will prevent any sales success.  These will be deeply discounted in 2 or 3 years. 

040320-P90386409-2021-BMW-R18-first-edit