Brake Rotors

Howabusa

The front brake rotors on the FJR have 91,000 miles on them. They don’t look the best but aren’t warped or don’t have any grooves in them. They feel good when I brake and work well. So, I am wondering what is the best way to clean them up? Sandpiper, 600 grit? Any ideas? I don’t really want to spend $400 for new rotors.

Just now, Howabusa said:

Dry? Use any chemicals?

Just soapy water with some kind of gease cutter when washing or general housekeeping. 

With brake cleaner non- chlorinated for deeper cleaning( the chlorinated will melt the scotch bright) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pauly said:

I would buy a low mileage pair off a parts bike. 

I have heard of guys buying used rotors that turn out to be warped. Rather just buy new. OEMs with the mounting bolts are $400 at Partshark. Around $450 for EBCs. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Howabusa said:

I have heard of guys buying used rotors that turn out to be warped. Rather just buy new. OEMs with the mounting bolts are $400 at Partshark. Around $450 for EBCs. 

Then I think OEM is the best choice for you.. and that is really hard to fault. Smart call for trouble-free installation. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

OEM rotors provide plenty enough braking force IMO. EBCs sure do have a Better initial bite, though it’s not needed IMO.

I've never thought really strong initial bite was a benefit on a street bike.  I've gone with less aggressive front pads on several bikes.  I'd rather modulate the brake as needed and not upset the chassis.  Probably less of a concern with a full suite of electronics.

9 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I've never thought really strong initial bite was a benefit on a street bike.  I've gone with less aggressive front pads on several bikes.  I'd rather modulate the brake as needed and not upset the chassis.  Probably less of a concern with a full suite of electronics.

Yeah I agree, I’d rather have a a smoother less aggressive bite.

31 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Just dont go china rotors. The one's I had shook under heavy braking.

I also prefer a progressive pad, not a hard initial bite. Street or track.

I have heard about the cheaper Chinese rotors. I have run the EBC HH pads on my Busa and FJR for a while.

16 hours ago, Howabusa said:

Pretty sure mike can get you some ebc rotors. I’ve ran the cheap Arashi branded rotors with no issues. I’ve used scotch Brite and sandpaper With a sanding block to clean up old ones. Cleaning up is worth it as long as there still over the minimum thickness.