Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

We had a 15 min meeting today for them to tell us "we are monitoring the situation" ...worthless

Amazon needs boxes for all the stuff we are ordering now that we can't go out. Get your ass to work. TIA.

• Haha 1

The link below was provided by my cousin (PhD Pharmacology, FDA) and his wife (PhD Microbiology, CDC) they were professors at USC before moving to Washington a couple years ago. I trust him to provide truthful and reasonable information. His message was spot on with @NinjaDoc message.

Watch if you have the patience...

https://special.croi.capitalreach.com/

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

My brain had to give you guys the alarmist view point the healthcare is adopting to curb this infection. I agree with them just based on the current view point. And continue to follow the hyper precautions . But to be quite honest my heart and personal experience is telling me the virus was here even before the alarms and notoriety. Was seeing cases in hospital which was coming back negative for flu but fit all the bills for bad viral - lung  picture. Some cases even young people getting infected and presenting with caked out lungs. This was even December January period way before alarms went off. If infact that’s the case probably thousands of Ohioans already have it and it still hasn’t resulted in pandemonium. Now that we started testing for it we started finding it. If not we would have charted it as bad case of atypical flu or something. But this is just pure anecdotal personal view point of mine. 

I had a really really bad cold the week after Christmas out in New Mexico. My throat was swollen and so sore it hurt to breath. I completely lost my voice, I was coughing so much I was coughing up blood, I was also dizzy and had a mild fever. The bad portion lasted for about 5 days, but it lingered for 2 weeks or so. When this corona virus stuff started popping up in the news and they were describing the symptoms it really sounded like what I had. It's possible that it could have been, given the timeline and the fact that China had known about this since very early December but was keeping quiet. I could have passed someone from Wuhan in the airport on the way to NM and picked it up there. No idea. Or it could have just been a really bad cold. It was not the flu. 

Got word today that everyone from my company that can, is to work from home for the next 3 to 4 weeks. I'm on that list. Time to be lonely.

Edited by what

9 hours ago, Tonik said:

Amazon needs boxes for all the stuff we are ordering now that we can't go out. Get your ass to work. TIA.

True story, this is normally our slow time of the year. Amazon and Chewy orders have picked up to pre Christmas levels. 

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

My company has halted all non-emergency service calls until April 1. I am also not allowed to come into the office during this time. 

I just scored a free 2-week vacation. If it snows... that is on me. 

It’s snowing... WTF man!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guys, stay far away from people as much as possible. Follow the social isolation. The reports seems to be right most part, My intuition was wrong, this thing seems as bad as what it’s feared to be. Personal experience from colleagues in some hot spots seems like this is much virulent form. And we just started seeing the tip of the iceberg.  In our practice area we started seeing some positive cases. Not yet horrible scenario of icu filling up etc yet. Hopefully the curve flattens enough for us to deal with it in a timely manner. If the reports turns out to be true , Just a rough guesstimate on worst case scenario is 200 million being affected / 20 million needing hospital/ less than 2 million death/ and less than 1 million hospital beds in USA. If we follow stringent measures advised, we might be able to cut the numbers by a lot , and at least to a point where the 20 million needing hospital can be bought down to 10-15 and spread over time so we can tackle with the 1 million beds we have. 

Edited by NinjaDoc

1 hour ago, NinjaDoc said:

Guys, stay far away from people as much as possible. Follow the social isolation. The reports seems to be right most part, My intuition was wrong, this thing seems as bad as what it’s feared to be. Personal experience from colleagues in some hot spots seems like this is much virulent form. And we just started seeing the tip of the iceberg.  In our practice area we started seeing some positive cases. Not yet horrible scenario of icu filling up etc yet. Hopefully the curve flattens enough for us to deal with it in a timely manner. If the reports turns out to be true , Just a rough guesstimate on worst case scenario is 200 million being affected / 20 million needing hospital/ less than 2 million death/ and less than 1 million hospital beds in USA. If we follow stringent measures advised, we might be able to cut the numbers by a lot , and at least to a point where the 20 million needing hospital can be bought down to 10-15 and spread over time so we can tackle with the 1 million beds we have. 

How do you reconcile those estimates against data coming out of countries like China and South Korea where spread already appears to be leveling off?

It's easy to question the reliability of data from China, but South Korea is likely more trustworthy.

Not sure how it works, South Korea seemed like their isolation and co tact tracing was top notch.  I know the state in India where I am from the health sector is poor in resource but great in aptitude and skills. News from back home is super fluent work flow and tracing and isolating each and every contact and Building up working Charts. Where I am from I know that scheme work easy due to close relationships/ lot of family friend close support system / knowledge of whereabouts minute to minute. For eg, you can ask a neighbor and he will have most times accurate info where person A is. it’s kind of hard to explain. So these countries with such a social network they probably ahead of the game. We probably will follow the Italian model of spread. 

for eg about a week ago Korea had done tracing and testing of nearly 140,000  With a superior kit while we were at test 1500 or so. 

Edited by NinjaDoc

The spread will level of, no question about it. Just like any infectious process. Again it’s not the spread we should be worried about. Timing and peak. The spread over months is so much easier to manage than spread over days. That’s why social isolation and hand washing and stuff will help. These are not to defeat the virus but to slow it’s onslaught. 

22 hours ago, Pauly said:

My company has halted all non-emergency service calls until April 1. I am also not allowed to come into the office during this time. 

I just scored a free 2-week vacation. If it snows... that is on me. 

I went Friday after work to renew my plates because I was afraid they would shut down the BMV. I’m not sure how many days I have to show up to the school. I’m hoping to get at least 1 nice day when I’m off to get out and shake off the cobwebs. 

8 hours ago, Danimal said:

As I crossed into Brazil from Argentina yesterday their computer systems on the Brazil side crashed (I had already stamped out of Argentine and cancelled and turned in my Argentina TIP [temporary import permit allowing my bike to be in their country. Standard border crossing bullshit]). 
Myself and the German guy I’m riding with ended u sitting for four hours in the office of the head Federal Policia at the Brazil border chatting with the guy, who had nothing to do. He told me he had an email that the entire Argentina border was shutting down in 48 hours. It was just made official that it’s closed after midnight. 
Peru the same. Ecuador following. 
So I’m stuck in Brazil for the time being. 
multiple Central American countries are closed too so even if I was further north the path home isn’t clear. 
Supermercados here are open and very busy. Local tiendas are normal. But stocks are getting low on any veggies or fruit brought in. 
Might try to find a nice Airbnb apartment in Rio and chill a few weeks and see how things change. Am already being way more careful as far as what I touch etc and washing. 

I take it Olaf decided he wouldn't be able to make it home? Thought that was his original plan here soon. 

As of today 2 confirmed cases in our facility and one Highly suspected one. This is based on minimal testing of subjects based on clinical suspicion and lack of resources. First case didn’t have travel history no high risk contacts nothing, the suspicious case is younger guy not much risk factors and significant resp distress. 

cuyahoga has the largest reported from Ohio, but probably tested way more esp CCF doing drive by. 

if your sick stay home, could be corona could be just flu, no need to panic. If it gets worse to the point of significant resp distress go to hospital, don’t go to a clinic or urgent care or anything since they will just send you to the hospital anyways. As of now avoid ibuprofen and using left over steroid pack etc confounding information coming out on these so far. 

starting to see the cases trickling in, have a bad feeling of impending trouble at the hospital. 

Hope you guys are taking this serious. Avoid Social contacts as much as possible. Happy to see people taking this seriously so far, most social networking and media doing its part. 

see young people planning to enjoy the down time, holidays price much lower on stays and travel etc, but some reports coming in shows even-some younger  people getting hit hard even if it’s rare. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

Right now, heading closer to Rio

Might be time to see if you can get a plane from Rio to the US. Airlines are going to shut down and even if they don't we are almost certainly going to close our borders.

Edited by Tonik