Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

Had been 24 days since we had been to the store. Could have gone another week but my old man needed stuff so he and the inlaws made us a list as well as our list and we were off. I must say that was exhausting. We were all dolled up in our mask, gloves, long sleeves, hats and basically covered head to toe and armed with wipes and hand sanitizer. With shopping list from 3 households and 2 more than over flowing carts we spent about $500 at walmart. It was nerve racking trying to keep track of the list and stay clear of other people and try not to touch anything we didn't have to and deal with the ppe not being the most comfortable. Also stopped at Lowes and bought a truck load of mulch and other lawn care stuff that we and my dad wanted, dropped another $200 there. Yes not essential stuff but it will keep the old man busy and not tempt his to go into town to get it himself. Once we got home we wiped every single item with disinfectant before it went into their respective houses. Kicked our shoes in the garage cloths went right into the machine and us in the showers.  I'm telling you shopping has become an event and a true chore. But we should be set for another 3 or 4 weeks and we took every precaution to prevent cross contamination to protect our houses and our parents. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

How long do you plan for? We haven't hit the worst yet.

That is the timing game we are playing here at our house. Don't go out....but don't run so low that when the real SHTF that we can't stay put for weeks and weeks.

5 minutes ago, Tonik said:

That is the timing game we are playing here at our house. Don't go out....but don't run so low that when the real SHTF that we can't stay put for weeks and weeks.

Same here. As long as you have enough supplies/food to cover the next two weeks you should be good. Most of us know now that the "Pearl Harbor Moments" are allegedly on the way. Personally, I don't give a shit, and see no reason to leave the house until near the end of April. Also, remember that you can get any meds you need mailed to you from a pharmacy. We use Costco's in Boston Heights.

Edited by SpecialEd

10 minutes ago, Tonik said:

How is everyone handling milk? Just saying f' milk?

Are you talking about the "shortage", cuz we shop at Heinen's and there has never been a problem finding milk.

1 minute ago, SpecialEd said:

Are you talking about the "shortage", cuz we shop at Heinen's and there has never been a problem finding milk.

No, the fact that it goes bad....gets out of date.

29 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

Personally, ours is long gone way before the expiration date. We drink a ton of it.

This conversation is getting painful.

Either it goes bad, or you run out.....which happens pretty quickly either way. How do you stay home and still have milk is the question.

5 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Either it goes bad, or you run out.....which happens pretty quickly either way. How do you stay home and still have milk is the question.

Have you forgotten I live on a farm?

9 minutes ago, Tonik said:

"You can milk anything with nipples", Jim.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Tonik said:

No, the fact that it goes bad....gets out of date.

We have 3 little kids in the house that are now eating every meal at home.

I have been buying 4-5 gallons at a time, which last about 7-8 days.  That is what determines how long we can go between trips to the store.  

You can freeze milk, but I haven't been doing that.  I may give it a try.