Jump to content
Tonik

Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Howabusa said:

Our healthcare is based on profit! We don’t have enough empty beds because it is not profitable!

This will not change very soon, as health care has been monetized for a long time now. I doubt any politician will succeed in creating single payer healthcare in my lifetime, but this is the right thing for our country to do (I am 64, BTW.) As everyone knows, we are the only industrialized nation without universal health care; I find this embarrassing, personally, as an American. I am paying $1,200 per month for my and my wife's health insurance until I start taking Social Security, Medicare, and one of my two pensions this coming November. Both of us are very physically active, eat right, and get plenty of sleep--no medical issues. The key to getting efficient nationalized health care is to start taking care of ourselves so that there are few individuals whose illnesses tax the system. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

I have found Mike DeWine's daily press conferences to be a calming and reliable source of the status of the disease. Neither he nor Dr. Acton sugar-coat anything.

Honestly I find them infuriating. They talk about everyone being home together. Preventing spread and being safe. Who are they talking about. Most of us are living in a different world. Are the folks at gas stations, grocery stores, ups,usps,fedex and factories immune to covid-19? As other states shut down big business we here in Ohio are ramping up. Pennsylvania has also shut down manufacturing now. In there 30hr period given to close our sister plant churned out over 60 truckloads of raw material to our Ohio plant that will push us to 24/7 operation. Corporate lawyers already preparing arguments to side step any Ohio shut down. They’ve already managed it in California. My wife works in hospital administration and has been working 13hr days 6 days a week. Healthcare workers connected to non-essential procedures are being strung along as well. Offered work 2 days a week so after paying for insurance and such barley bringing home a pay check and preventing them collecting unemployment. This is cheaper for hospitals than filling open jobs with permanent staff and letting others just stay home. It also puts many more at risk. The positive case numbers are a joke. Locally folks that are very sick are tested for flue and other illness and if they are negative there assumed to have covid-19 and sent home. Testing is only being done if you’re sick enough to require hospitalization. The whole thing seems to be a shit show. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

Honestly I find them infuriating. They talk about everyone being home together. Preventing spread and being safe. Who are they talking about. Most of us are living in a different world. Are the folks at gas stations, grocery stores, ups,usps,fedex and factories immune to covid-19? As other states shut down big business we here in Ohio are ramping up. Pennsylvania has also shut down manufacturing now. In there 30hr period given to close our sister plant churned out over 60 truckloads of raw material to our Ohio plant that will push us to 24/7 operation. Corporate lawyers already preparing arguments to side step any Ohio shut down. They’ve already managed it in California. My wife works in hospital administration and has been working 13hr days 6 days a week. Healthcare workers connected to non-essential procedures are being strung along as well. Offered work 2 days a week so after paying for insurance and such barley bringing home a pay check and preventing them collecting unemployment. This is cheaper for hospitals than filling open jobs with permanent staff and letting others just stay home. It also puts many more at risk. The positive case numbers are a joke. Locally folks that are very sick are tested for flue and other illness and if they are negative there assumed to have covid-19 and sent home. Testing is only being done if you’re sick enough to require hospitalization. The whole thing seems to be a shit show. 

I do see the irony in what you are saying, and your wife's schedule is completely ridiculous. You are correct, of course, that this is probably the worst shit show the world has experienced since the deadly flu epidemic in the early 1900s. As a public employee (I am a teacher), students are our customers, and the nearly nationwide shutdown of American schools has forced almost all of us to work from home, including the students. As you might imagine, I was very relieved when this happened. Being exposed daily to hundreds of juveniles who have not yet developed concern for their own health, not to mention the consequences of spreading disease to others, and are basically incapable of "seeing the big picture" is a recipe for health disasters. 

Gary, I don't disagree with any of what you say in this post. I was simply tacitly acknowledging the shitty situation we all find ourselves in and expressing my opinion of those who seem to be extra helpful in guiding us through this thing safely and sanely. I do wish we all could stay home, but of course this is not at all possible. All that's left is to do our level best to stay healthy and not take any unnecessary chances which may cause us to be exposed to this ugly scourge.

If DeWine makes your blood boil, I can only imagine what Trump's ham-handed blundering in the face of this crisis must do to you. How ironic that we have probably the world's biggest narcissist in charge of the world's most powerful country filled with people who are starving for reassurance, truth, and a steady hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

If DeWine makes your blood boil

I honestly thought his early decisions were well thought out. It took a lot of balls to close schools and bars/restaurants. Made sense. All medical folks agree on the fact that if you eliminate contact the virus dies. At some point hopefully public health will Trump the almighty dollar and we can all move past this. Hopefully! There are many people that don’t work because they’d rather not and lots of others that have been told not to go work. I’m not convinced that all these people lining up in front of Sam’s club before they open to buy all the toilet paper and eggs is the answer. Mostly just makes sure the shelves are empty when the rest of us get there after work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

I honestly thought his early decisions were well thought out. It took a lot of balls to close schools and bars/restaurants. Made sense. All medical folks agree on the fact that if you eliminate contact the virus dies. At some point hopefully public health will Trump the almighty dollar and we can all move past this. Hopefully! There are many people that don’t work because they’d rather not and lots of others that have been told not to go work. I’m not convinced that all these people lining up in front of Sam’s club before they open to buy all the toilet paper and eggs is the answer. Mostly just makes sure the shelves are empty when the rest of us get there after work. 

Yes! And what's with the sudden rush to buy guns?? I really don't understand the whole toilet paper and egg thing, either, as diarrhea is not a COVID symptom, and there appear to be as many eggs in our local markets as anyone could hope for. The Sam's Club/Costco thing is another mystery. Customers packing themselves together ("virus? what virus?") and swinging at each other over parking spaces. Fuck that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SpecialEd and @Tonik

This is my creation... 

Chocolate chip protein pancakes with egg, Colby Jack and sausage.

0322200757.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, snot said:

@SpecialEd and @Tonik

This is my creation... 

Chocolate chip protein pancakes with egg, Colby Jack and sausage.

0322200757.jpg

Eat one of these beauties and you're good to go for the rest of the day--maybe even a few days.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was built for the after workout meal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

Yes! And what's with the sudden rush to buy guns?? I really don't understand the whole toilet paper and egg thing, either, as diarrhea is not a COVID symptom, and there appear to be as many eggs in our local markets as anyone could hope for. The Sam's Club/Costco thing is another mystery. Customers packing themselves together ("virus? what virus?") and swinging at each other over parking spaces. Fuck that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241393826.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I stand corrected! Never saw this before, so now I know why hoarding toilet paper is a "thing." Any idea about why people are egg hoarding?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

Yes! And what's with the sudden rush to buy guns?? I really don't understand the whole toilet paper and egg thing, either, as diarrhea is not a COVID symptom, and there appear to be as many eggs in our local markets as anyone could hope for. The Sam's Club/Costco thing is another mystery. Customers packing themselves together ("virus? what virus?") and swinging at each other over parking spaces. Fuck that.

This is a snapshot of what happens when societal norms begin to shift. The stupid begin to eat each other. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pauly said:

This is a snapshot of what happens when societal norms begin to shift. The stupid begin to eat each other. 

Another good reason to shelter in place. I'm sure there will be many books written about this time in history, and I will be the first to read all of them. For now: lock the doors and watch the madness unfold . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any guesses on when Ohio gets the shelter in place order.  I'm guessing in the next day or 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Any guesses on when Ohio gets the shelter in place order.  I'm guessing in the next day or 2.

I suspect today. Hope it is tomorrow though so I can pick up my mounted tires from Sills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Any guesses on when Ohio gets the shelter in place order.  I'm guessing in the next day or 2.

Couldn't be far from now. Check out DeWine's press briefing tomorrow on NPR's Cleveland affiliate WCPN. He, his staff, and Dr. Acton usually are on around noon. I'm sure we will get word from him very soon that the remainder of the school year is cancelled as well. There is no state testing for the kids this year, and, at least in my district, no grades being computed for the current semester. Also, parents are being given the option for their kids to repeat their current grade next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His press conference is today at 2pm. No reason to start the work week then end it.

Fuck NPR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tonik said:

His press conference is today at 2pm. No reason to start the work week then end it.

Fuck NPR.

I assume you are watching it on TV . . . ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

I assume you are watching it on TV . . . ?

No since it isn't on yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tonik said:

No since it isn't on yet.

😏 You ARE a ball-buster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have gone to the store the last few days and noticed the TP was gone. Kinda laugh at these people hoarding. We buy the large packages of TP from Costco so we don't have to go to the store. Well, I had to check to see our inventory since it seems to be a very valuable commodity. Based on our usage we ONLY have a 16 week supply of TP. I better get to Walmart early when the trucks arrive......LOL. I noticed Giant Eagle is allowing 60+ year old people to shop an hour early. Wonder if we need to get up early, anyone know if they are checking ID's. Out of everything people can hoard, the ignorant choose TP.......OMG. I have been in these paper production plants, there are virtually no workers involved in the process of making TP, round the clock forever. The hoarders will be very surprised when they find out the shelves are full in a couple weeks and stay stocked forever. When the CV curve flattens the hoarders will discover they have a couple years supply of TP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, he shut it down. My rims are at Sills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woot, not in effect until Monday night. I will get my tires back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaaand....the race is on--less than 32 hours for the panicked hoarders to buy everything that isn't nailed down!

There's the old saying that it's an ill wind that blows no good.  The last two days, I've been walking the dog in the parks here in Hamilton County.  I've seen more families--moms and dads, grandma and grandpa, kids, toddlers, tots in strollers, the family dog--all together on the trails.  I hope this might be a little sign that something good will come out of this crisis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect hoarding to be twice as bad next virus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Woot, not in effect until Monday night. I will get my tires back.

I'm hoping too. Mailman mis-delivered my package again Saturday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×