Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

Anyone else doing it? We just stashed 200 bucks worth of nonperishable food for the pending flu outbreak. Will be adding more. Nothing crazy, stuff we would use anyway. Figure 2 to 4 weeks of isolation might be prudent. I can easily WFH so that is not an issue.

Edited by 2talltim
added to title

In all seriousness though I am stopping on the way home from work tonight to stock up on the general consumable items.  I don't normally keep more than a week or two worth of food stock but feel it's probably worth getting some extra just to have the option of avoiding the public more than I already do.  Who knows what panic buying will look like when this stupid thing starts to take hold in states.  

15 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Is this whole beerflu thing worth getting anxious? I do think a few week worth of grub is a good idea, in general. 

I think fasting a week or 2 is a good idea for the typical american in general.

I'd like to stock up on gasoline about now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

Anyone else doing it? We just stashed 200 bucks worth of nonperishable food for the pending flu outbreak. Will be adding more. Nothing crazy, stuff we would use anyway. Figure 2 to 4 weeks of isolation might be prudent. I can easily WFH so that is not an issue.

Are you talking about COVID-19, AKA coronavirus?

We always have a larder full of stuff year-round, plus lots of frozen foods. Since viruses like cold, dry weather, I really don't think we have much to worry about this time of year. It's not likely to spread across the US in a month, and by April we will be into the warmer, more humid weather. Working from home is a great option; wish I could do that.

54 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Is this whole beerflu thing worth getting anxious?

When you roll down the road are you anxious about a car making a left in front of you, or are you just prepared for it?

Honestly not even concerned about it. Being middle aged and fairly active and healthy even if contracted this virus most of us will survive. That being said there are far worse things going around in this country already that will kill you with greater odds. On this virus there are already more people that have recoverd  from it than have the active virus. Deaths from the virus are declining daily now that they have a grasp on what it is and how to treat the symptoms. Just like the basic flu wash your hands keep fingers and other contaminated objects out of your mobth and away from your face and you will greatly reduce your odd off getting it.

As far as the economy goes and availability of things you need I'm not concerned either. But in the case I'm wrong my inlaws are food hoarders. Provably over a months worth in thier 3 deep freezers...lol

I think the markets will take a bigger hit but will rebound in the months to come.  I do feel tourism is going to take a huge hit this year due to all fear mongering and people having irrational fears of going anywhere. That will only benefit the rest of us when prices drop and promotions come out to help boost the industry.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, what said:

This will pass through like the flu. There's no use in a quarantine once it is already out in the wild so not sure there's a need to stockpile stuff.

The idea is that when it starts to peak you can isolate yourself in your own home for a few weeks. That should increase your odds of not getting it.

Edited by Tonik

I stocked up a little bit yesterday on my weekly trip to Costco. 

• Canned items like soup, tuna, chicken, etc. Things that are easy to prepare up in case we all get knocked down at once.  If this blows over then I'll donate it to the local food pantry
  • I got some extra cleaning supplies like paper towels, TP, Clorox wipes.   This will get used eventually in any case.
  • Couple of cases of water.   Won't go to waste.   Not sure why I bought this except out of habit.  The water supply isn't going to get cut off.  :)
  • Couple of extra bottles of hand sanitizer.  I'll take one and leave it on my desk at work.
  • Extra bottle of pain reliever/fever reducer

I'm half worried about the virus and half worried that the supply chain from China is going to get fucked up.   I can WFH to some degree but the wife and kid will drag it home so I'm not sure that it matters.

Bought extra hand sanitizer for my desk at work. Some extra cleaning supplies.

My main fear is that the person that lives above me (we share entry-ways) is still planning on going to S. Korea in the next coming months.

This thing ain't shit, just wash your hands and the chances of you getting it decrease by some large number

I dated a Mexican girl back in 2009 when H1N1 was the plague du jour and lived to tell about it.

Remember the bird flu? Yea neither do i

On 3/1/2020 at 12:35 PM, Tonik said:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/118-us-coronavirus-cases-9-deaths-as-ramped-up-testing-uncovers-hidden-spread/

Well, wife and I will be doing this if it becomes necessary.

Microsoft thankfully just put a travel ban on anything that isn't an essential business function and I could not be happier. Several folks from out there including my boss who has a kid in a school where another kid tested positive for the virus were coming to Cleveland next week and taking me to dinner so that's one less exposure I need. 

I'm not so much worried about me getting it but I just don't want to deal with my kids getting it or the absolute worst possible scenario of my father in law getting it because it would almost certainly be a death sentence for him