Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

I was not in my right mind the other evening, but I stand by my rant. I had some shit to say, apparently. I will do more to social distance from politics on this forum and more to further the sport I love. 

Stay tuned... Speed safe. Happy 4th. 

Edited by Pauly
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pauly said:

I was not in my right mind the other evening, but I stand by my rant. I had some shit to say, apparently. I will do more to social distance from politics on this forum and more to further the sport I love. 

Stay tuned... Speed safe. Happy 4th. 

All the political bullshit 24/7 is making people forget they have friends that might not agree with them on 100% of everything but they are still friends. The media is to blame for the state of the country right now, by and large. Social media and the 24 hour news cycle may be the end of us all. Hope not. Good plan to stay away from it, it makes life a happier experience.

Edited by what
  • Upvote 3

I made burgers on the grill today. Due to covid we had to eat them all... Tomorrow is steaks... Again we will eat them all...alone. Well, with some grill veggies, so not alone.

• Haha 1

All this Covid-19 knowledge and information being posted on here makes me thing of time before the internet when we relied on group think and royalty to provide us common folk with a understanding of science and justice.

Edited by B-Mac

I am sure sweet baby jesus will protect all of god's children too ignorant to educate themselves on the science of viral spread and mutation. Sure would be nice if I had a talking donkey to tell me what to do.

Oh, wait...we already elected one. 

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

I am sure sweet baby jesus will protect all of god's children too ignorant to educate themselves on the science of viral spread and mutation. Sure would be nice if I had a talking donkey to tell me what to do.

Oh, wait...we already elected one. 

To be fair, things were on the mend for a good bit before this new spike. What was happening 2 weeks before the uptick 2 weeks into June I wonder? Literally the dumbest thing anybody could do during a pandemic that was showing signs of abating. The blame for the current situation lands squarely on the backs of everyone who went out en mass to protest and/or riot. If they were aware of the risk and decided that the protesting was more important, that's fine - but to turn around and blame other people for the (very apparent) consequences of their actions, I really don't have words.

thumbnail_New%20COVID-19%20Cases%20per%2

Edited by what
  • Upvote 2

Correlation does not equal causation. The reopening, indoor gatherings and idiots not wearing masks caused it. The protests were outside, MUCH safer than what the freedom crowd is doing.

Stop making excuses for dumbasses.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=412&bih=645&tbm=nws&sxsrf=ALeKk01voEnJ7k9HKzWAYJoLnVDCz36_-Q%3A1593966773548&ei=tQACX5WUIe-uytMP0LO36Aw&q=did+protests+raise+covid+infection&oq=did+protests+raise+covid+infection&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3...32108.34160.0.34927.6.6.0.0.0.0.180.555.0j4.4.0....0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-serp..2.0.0....0.ETGKaI5u-hA

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Correlation does not equal causation. The reopening, indoor gatherings and idiots not wearing masks caused it. The protests were outside, MUCH safer than what the freedom crowd is doing.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=412&bih=645&tbm=nws&sxsrf=ALeKk01voEnJ7k9HKzWAYJoLnVDCz36_-Q%3A1593966773548&ei=tQACX5WUIe-uytMP0LO36Aw&q=did+protests+raise+covid+infection&oq=did+protests+raise+covid+infection&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3...32108.34160.0.34927.6.6.0.0.0.0.180.555.0j4.4.0....0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-serp..2.0.0....0.ETGKaI5u-hA

It all goes together.

Those people out protesting go home to their family, go to work at the nursing home, go shopping at the grocery store, don't wear masks, don't take precautions and we end up where we are. Sure, it was still going around, and the states were starting to re-open around the same time little by little, but the bottom line is the amount of exposure going to one protest is way beyond what someone would experience in their day-to-day over the course of a week or more. Any mass gathering is the same - if people went to a large concert or sports match with 1,000's of people all crammed together we would have the same outcome. Indoor or outdoor does not matter, someone coughs on you, you get viral load, you get sick. Not everyone that went will get sick, but some will, and then their acquaintances will, and then it's off to the races. Repeat that day after day, weekend after weekend and we end up where we are now. We would have gotten here eventually but it would have taken a lot longer.

• Upvote 1

It seems like we have a number of epidemiologist on the OR.... LOL! I am curios if you can answer a couple of questions, could the cases be going up due to the increased testing and opening up? I understand the positive tests have been in younger people, average age 35 years old, with a far less likelihood of getting sick or dying. There is a chance that the number of deaths could increase with more cases, but with better recent medical treatments and younger people contracting the virus could the death rate continue to decrease as has been occurring? Or is inevitable the increased number of cases will result in more deaths and can you predict when this correlation begins?  Let me say I have ZERO medical background and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night!  

image.png.055e41c5b0ffcb4e947ab910ed5b7766.png

Edited by ricer1

1 hour ago, ricer1 said:

It seems like we have a number of epidemiologist on the OR.... LOL! I am curios if you can answer a couple of questions, could the cases be going up due to the increased testing and opening up? I understand the positive tests have been in younger people, average age 35 years old, with a far less likelihood of getting sick or dying. There is a chance that the number of deaths could increase with more cases, but with better recent medical treatments and younger people contracting the virus could the death rate continue to decrease as has been occurring? Or is inevitable the increased number of cases will result in more deaths and can you predict when this correlation begin?  Let me say I have ZERO medical background and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night!  

image.png.055e41c5b0ffcb4e947ab910ed5b7766.png

The weakest/most unlucky go first is my guess. But it's just a guess.

Good news though, turns out hydroxychloroquine seems to cut the mortality rate nearly in half for those that start on it early enough into covid infection. https://www.henryford.com/news/2020/07/hydro-treatment-study

This is a stark contrast to what every major news outlet was saying about it a month ago, this dangerous "untested" "unproven" drug... that has been used for almost 70 years. lol...

Edited by what

3 hours ago, Tonik said:

Jim.  This post is absolute nonsense.

4 hours ago, Tonik said:

So if your saying the outdoor events are not the cause of the uptick in cases, why are we not reopening state and national parks for people to go hiking by themselves.  beaches are still considered a death sentence to anyone at them and Mid-Ohio Vintage needs to be put back on the schedule because dammit I want to see motorcycle racing again if the outdoor events are safer than eating my dinner while sitting in a restaurant.  😷

Edited by vf1000ride
  • Upvote 2

I'm neither a doctor nor an epidemiologist, but my gut is telling me the cause of the spike we're seeing is two-fold:  1) a major factor is the broad re-opening and resultant increased social contact, and 2) I believe the virus has mutated and the viral count is increasing because the most prevalent variant worldwide is now about 10x more contagious.  Hopefully, the same mutation won't also be far more deadly, but that remains to be seen over the next month or two.

https://www.complex.com/life/2020/06/researchers-covid-19-mutation-made-virus-more-contagious

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bubba said:

I'm neither a doctor nor an epidemiologist, but my gut is telling me the cause of the spike we're seeing is two-fold:  1) a major factor is the broad re-opening and resultant increased social contact, and 2) I believe the virus has mutated and the viral count is increasing because the most prevalent variant worldwide is now about 10x more contagious.  Hopefully, the same mutation won't also be far more deadly, but that remains to be seen over the next month or two.

https://www.complex.com/life/2020/06/researchers-covid-19-mutation-made-virus-more-contagious

Get your faggy science out of here, pal. 

• Upvote 1

Speaking of faggy (Is that a real word?) science, a recent article that offer hope for severely ill COVID patients.  Won't help with the spread, so continue to wear your mask and don't do stupid stuff like french kissing your second cousin from South Beach Miami, but it might help reduce the fatality rate.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/this-could-be-the-coronavirus-achilles-heel-researchers-say/ar-BB16m90I?ocid=msedgntp

Wonder what the stats and charts showed for the first flu, or the measles, or scarlet fever... Or even syphilis?

At some point we will all be exposed and we need a vaccine now.

I think the increase is for multiple reasons. A couple of the reasons... I do think protesters help spread it, and so did everyone at the local bars. Both sides are responsible for helping the spread. They were not wearing mask and not distant while looting and screaming. More testing is also to blame.

You can't tell me to wear a mask in public because I could get it and then say protesters did not spread it when they clearly did not follow CDC guildlines or other laws.

Even the protesters that were nonviolent were not following CDC.

Just my .02.

I really don't believe the numbers, everyone lies and fudges them, especially the media. We will never know the true numbers or reasons. 

No need to argue about what we can't control or prove (not enough accurate, reliable and published data).

....back to sammiches

Edited by snot
  • Upvote 3

On 7/5/2020 at 12:00 PM, what said:

To be fair, things were on the mend for a good bit before this new spike. What was happening 2 weeks before the uptick 2 weeks into June I wonder? Literally the dumbest thing anybody could do during a pandemic that was showing signs of abating. The blame for the current situation lands squarely on the backs of everyone who went out en mass to protest and/or riot. If they were aware of the risk and decided that the protesting was more important, that's fine - but to turn around and blame other people for the (very apparent) consequences of their actions, I really don't have words.

thumbnail_New%20COVID-19%20Cases%20per%2

The blame lands solely on the president. It is his role to lead the nation. He hasn't been passively causing harm. He has actively subverted science and testing to whatever agenda they want to pretend doesn't exist. Our leadership is laughable. When we let morons do dumb shit that endangers themselves, that is  called freedom. When we let morons do dumb shit that endangers the infrastructure of our healthcare system, that is called enabling. That is a huge red flag that shines a bright light on the maturity level of the American public. 

All the president had to do was put on the damn mask, get on the damn television and tell the American people that he knows this shit sucks.

"I knows its hella inconvenient and makes this year suck royal balls. Like it, or not, a shitstorm of suck is heading our way. No, we did not create it. Yes, China fucking sucks. However, if we would like to avoid the worst of the shitstorm, then we need to come together and fight this on a united front. Pretending this isn't a big deal is irresponsible and I will not allow any Americans to die needlessly as a result of the apathy of ignorance and greed."

Economy saved to the very best of American ability and efforts. Americans united for the first time in his presidency. Flatter curve on the spread. He would have my vote come November. 

Discounting a very real threat is dangerous leadership and not something that should be dismissed due to the stock market figures. Working within this threat is how we overcome it. This is the new normal, at least for the next few months. People need to get that shit through their thick skulls and stop making petty excuses for not helping out. 

7 minutes ago, Pauly said:

The blame lands solely on the president. It is his role to lead the nation. He hasn't been passively causing harm. He has actively subverted science and testing to whatever agenda they want to pretend doesn't exist. Our leadership is laughable. When we let morons do dumb shit that endangers themselves, that is  called freedom. When we let morons do dumb shit that endangers the infrastructure of our healthcare system, that is called enabling. That is a huge red flag that shines a bright light on the maturity level of the American public. 

All the president had to do was put on the damn mask, get on the damn television and tell the American people that he knows this shit sucks.

"I knows its hella inconvenient and makes this year suck royal balls. Like it, or not, a shitstorm of suck is heading our way. No, we did not create it. Yes, China fucking sucks. However, if we would like to avoid the worst of the shitstorm, then we need to come together and fight this on a united front. Pretending this isn't a big deal is irresponsible and I will not allow any Americans to die needlessly as a result of the apathy of ignorance and greed."

Economy saved to the very best of American ability and efforts. Americans united for the first time in his presidency. Flatter curve on the spread. He would have my vote come November. 

Discounting a very real threat is dangerous leadership and not something that should be dismissed due to the stock market figures. Working within this threat is how we overcome it. This is the new normal, at least for the next few months. People need to get that shit through their thick skulls and stop making petty excuses for not helping out. 

You are certainly entitled to that opinion Paul.

Congressman Dan Crenshaw

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

You are certainly entitled to that opinion Paul.

Congressman Dan Crenshaw

Yeah..  In the beginning I was also impressed with the president's actions. I was convinced I was voting for Trump all the way into May & June. His most recent about-face and dismissal of the situation is where he lost me, but I will make a deal with you. I will wait for the second half of this video before I cast my vote. 

29 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Yeah..  In the beginning I was also impressed with the president's actions. I was convinced I was voting for Trump all the way into May & June. His most recent about-face and dismissal of the situation is where he lost me, but I will make a deal with you. I will wait for the second half of this video before I cast my vote. 

My eyes are always wide open.  Do I think Trump is doing a great job?..no.  Do I think Biden is capable of leading?..also no.

But, it doesn't sit well with me the the Dems are fine with the economy tanking and Covid spiking as long as it means Trump doesn't get re-elected.  That is an epic failure of leadership that is well above and beyond anything you can lay on Trump.  Sorry.   Calling that treasonous would not be not out of line.   

trea·son
noun

1. the crime of betraying one's country
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

^^Source does not have reliable data.

Problem is, too many people believe what they are told and never look into the data and facts... Or check for how the data was collected and the test groups used or the amount of time tested.

It is close to impossible when something is less than a year old. Truth is we still have no real data to prove long term or short term. Everything is an educated guess based on little knowledge and little testing. The only exceptions are what has been tested to kill the bug. Even then there are consequences on how the treatment will affect the person, surface (materials), air quality and equipment.

Real science and studies take time, otherwise we would have the cure for other illnesses already (Hepatitis B, HIV, etc.).

All we can do is practice good hygiene, clean like our grandmothers (bleach, vinigar, ammonia), and practice common curtousy (cover mouth/nose when sneezing or coughing).. Oh, and chew your food with your mouth shut.

This is like walking down a dark cave with no light, you don't know what is at the end until we get there.

Edited by snot
  • Upvote 1

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night and have ZERO medical background, I did review the Covid 19 statistics. Below are the tests being done on a daily basis, the US is performing over a half million tests a day. On June 1st we had performed 17 million Covid 19 tests countrywide and by July 3rd we were up to 34 million....... more than double in ONE MONTH. Does anyone think there may be more cases identified with increased testing?   

image.png

This is the Covid 19 cases chart over recent months.

image.png

This is the death rate over the last few months.
image.png

Link:   https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk03gRfl7sguheMisYttHUwIZVQEd0g%3A1594041654496&source=hp&ei=NiUDX6rWG4XatQXcsZS4BA&q=covid+19+stats&oq=co&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgCMgQIIxAnMgQIIxAnMgQIIxAnMgUIABCxAzIFCAAQsQMyBQgAELEDMgUIABCxAzIICAAQsQMQgwEyAggAMgIIAFCoD1iYEWC-NGgAcAB4AIABbIgByAGSAQMxLjGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab 

I understand all correlation is not causation, lets just consider it a coincidence between testing and cases. Let's also ponder there were just huge protests with hundreds of thousands with people in the streets with many people not wearing masks, shouting, yelling and exchanging respiratory droplets while not socially distancing. On top of that states reopening could increase cases as government officials warned while weighing the risks of opening our economy. 

The death rate continues to decline and the media has been warning us there will be a huge increase in the death rate as time goes on, it's a time bomb that will go off in 3 or 4 weeks.... guaranteed the media has warned. One important piece of testing information I have learned is the average age of the person testing positive is 35 years old. Younger people's chances of getting sick from Covid 19 is minimal and the death rate among the young is extremely low without underlying conditions. With new medical therapies the death rate is also going down. I'm not saying there may not be a spike in deaths in relation to increasing cases, we shall see. But there may be correlation between testing and cases that may not correspond to causation of increased death rates. Death rates is where the "rubber meets the road" for finding out how the virus is affecting our country. 
Edited by ricer1
  • Upvote 1