Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

@NinjaDoc

Thank you for all your input, it has been reassuring we are doing the right think. It is different when information comes from people you know and trust. 

I know this place is supposed to be an escape from work, but your input was what kept me grounded. Thank you.

The masks are much more effective at protecting others from a possibly infected mask wearer. 

Gloves for the casual user really doesn't do much. 

Like mentioned above, I have reduced the number of trips to the store, but when I need stuff I go. I can and do work from home and we have for the most part remained home. 
But really that is the point of all of these restrictions, it is not to stop the spread of this virus but to slow the spread but reducing the mobility and number of contacts of most of the population. This keeps the demand on the health care resources below the availability. 

I'm more worried about the severe economic impact of the lock down than I am of the disease. My family is most likely going to be OK, but there are going to be many who are really going really impacted by this. The foreclosures, bankruptcies and business closures is going to be a severe drain on the economy for a long time.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

I'm more worried about the severe economic impact of the lock down than I am of the disease. My family is most likely going to be OK, but there are going to be many who are really going really impacted by this. The foreclosures, bankruptcies and business closures is going to be a severe drain on the economy for a long time.

Financial distress like bankruptcy is a major factor behind suicide.  If bankruptcies double or triple I wonder if the suicide rate would be impacted.  It's something else to factor into all this.

Yea I think financially will be the biggest impact. My house is going to be fine, I'm still working and the wife is still getting her pay. But I talked to a few people over the last few weeks and most of them are counting on what I think I false hopes in the government to bale them out. My BIL says he waiting on the "extra" $500 a week on his unemployment that he has not seen a dime of yet. And a friend told me this "I'll be fine once we get that $2000 a month we are going to get with the next stimulus". I don't think either of those things are reality but don't have the heart to bash their hopes. 

16 minutes ago, CoDAF said:

Shit.. I am still waiting for my $1200. The government isn't bailing out anyone but special interests. "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." 

I thought it was "don't bite the dick that fucks you".. :dunno: 

Suicide, overdose, and homicide will all go up. 

Unfortunately some of these people won't be noticed missing until a month or longer after it is over. 

Some of these people (I use to work with a few) don't have friends or family. Only the work place would notice them missing, but if they are not working, it could be summer before they are found.

You can get a test yourself now to see if you had it. Better hurry, announced 5 hours ago...they will be out of stock and slammed fast.

https://questdirect.questdiagnostics.com/products/covid-19-immune-response/b580e541-78a5-48a6-b17b-7bad949dcb57?elqTrackId=5ddb956db623484b8db841cc59f14da9&elqaid=28&elqat=2

On 4/27/2020 at 8:43 AM, 2talltim said:

I thought it was "don't bite the dick that fucks you".. :dunno: 

Man o Man, I have not heard that song in soooo long.

Fucks You honey, you got to learn to suck it funny, why do dicks all tast like "........

D.A.C. That album was a stapel in the army overseas in the 80's

" There sailboats and conche shell's and palm trees galore. But Jimmy Buffet he don't live in Key West anymore"

CDC just said in their week 17 update, that COVID is no worse than a bad flu year, for the over 65 age group. Less for all others. That's for the entire country, including the epidemic centers like New York. So it's two thirds less than a regular flu, for the entire country, outside of the New York area, which has more than 60% of all cases so far. I'm not sure we could have done this better, but I think we should have done this better. Too much damage was done.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SpecialEd said:

Durk, wondering what the school year will be like if we go back this fall. What have you heard?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2020/05/06/ohio-gov-mike-dewine-one-option-schools-fall-two-days-person/5174398002/

My daughter actually found this. Personally I’m done. I’m ready  to go back to normal life. I say if you want to stay home fine. Me personally I have little fear about this stuff. I’m willing to take the chance. They tell me we don’t know enough about the virus. I say exactly. Why are we making all of these decisions without solid information. I’m not big on living in fear. 

• Upvote 1

Like anything else, there's a lot of misinformation going around and we'll probably start seeing some weird stuff pop up in the news about inflated numbers, hospitals/news agencies faking stories about how dire their situations are, etc.

This isn't a hoax, no matter what people say, but it's also not the end of the world.

If you do start going back out into everyday life, do it the smart way and take care of yourself. I'm on day 53 of still having symptoms off and on, and it sucks. I can see how this could kill somebody quickly if it turned south. If you have underlying conditions or are near someone that does in everyday life, take this seriously. It's unfortunate that I feel I have to say this 2 months down the road, but that mistrust of information is something I put squarely on mainstream media's shoulders.

Edited by what
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, what said:

Like anything else, there's a lot of misinformation going around and we'll probably start seeing some weird stuff pop up in the news about inflated numbers, hospitals/news agencies faking stories about how dire their situations are, etc.

This isn't a hoax, no matter what people say, but it's also not the end of the world.

If you do start going back out into everyday life, do it the smart way and take care of yourself. I'm on day 53 of still having symptoms off and on, and it sucks. I can see how this could kill somebody quickly if it turned south. If you have underlying conditions are are near someone that does in everyday life, take this seriously. It's unfortunate that I feel I have to say this 2 months down the road, but that mistrust of information is something I put squarely on mainstream media's shoulders.

Media hype neither makes the pandemic better or worse, but it does change how many of us feel about going through it. It always amazes me how much better I feel not accessing the media for a few days. The situation "is what it is"--nothing more, nothing less. If something dire happens or if there are medical breakthroughs, someone--a neighbor or friend--will likely tell us about it. I'm very glad I am at the point where I don't have to have a job any longer, and if the shit hits the fan, I'll just retire instead of risking becoming infected on the job.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, durk said:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2020/05/06/ohio-gov-mike-dewine-one-option-schools-fall-two-days-person/5174398002/

My daughter actually found this. Personally I’m done. I’m ready  to go back to normal life. I say if you want to stay home fine. Me personally I have little fear about this stuff. I’m willing to take the chance. They tell me we don’t know enough about the virus. I say exactly. Why are we making all of these decisions without solid information. I’m not big on living in fear. 

so parents will only be working 2 days a week? how less infected do you get in 2 days over 5?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

so parents will only be working 2 days a week? how less infected do you get in 2 days over 5?

That's the hard part of all this for the schools--and for the parents. I truly believe that we will be staying with distance-learning this coming first quarter of fall instruction. It's not going badly at all so far, but all my students are seniors, and the vast majority of them are college-bound. For the working parents of younger students, there are many latchkey programs through day care centers (once they reopen), but this is an added expense. 

The idea of attending school two days per week fixes the social distancing problem as far as classrooms go. That's the primary reason for having them physically at the school only two days per week. Having all the kids attend each day is a recipe for horrible community spread of the virus, as there is no way to adequately distance students from eachother.

Edited by SpecialEd

Just now, SpecialEd said:

It's not going badly at all so far, but all my students are seniors, and the vast majority of them are college-bound

And they have an internet connection, and a laptop.

The world is very different in other districts, Elyria where I worked has an 80 percent Free and Reduced rate.

Those kids don't have internet at home. The district has enough Chromebooks to send home....but without internet that is pointless.

There are a huge number of districts with this issue. I still chat with all the district tech folks across Ohio. It is bad, very bad.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Tonik said:

And they have an internet connection, and a laptop.

The world is very different in other districts, Elyria where I worked has an 80 percent Free and Reduced rate.

Those kids don't have internet at home. The district has enough Chromebooks to send home....but without internet that is pointless.

There are a huge number of districts with this issue. I still chat with all the district tech folks across Ohio. It is bad, very bad.

This is all true, of course. There is socioeconomic inequality, and this has dire consequences for many students--and families--in addition to compromising a student's ability to work from home. Our district is considered "wealthy" by many, yet we have more than our share of homes without internet. Mostly, this problem is dealt with using printed worksheets/assignments which must be distributed/mailed back to individual teachers or physically dropped off at the central office. It's not a perfect system by any stretch, but in most cases there is sufficient evidence from formative and summative assessments that learning is still taking place. Some internet carriers are providing free internet access through localized hot spots. I honestly don't know exactly how this works.

Edited by SpecialEd

(Could no longer edit previous post)

The pressure to complete individual assignments has been reduced; students can now complete packets of small assignments or projects "in bulk", then submit physically or online. We are using pass/fail at this point, and, at least where I work, final grades are not being computed. Parents are being offered the option to have sons/daughters repeat the grade/course they were in when the shit hit the fan on March 13th. My kids were working on a senior project when school was cancelled. All they have to do is finish/submit it and I will grade it P/F. At this point, all I'm doing is reading and editing their projects.

There are obviously a lot more moving parts to all of this, but my original intent was simply to answer Motocat's question--not deal with the rest of it.