Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

4 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I'm prepared to defend what's mine. Hope you are too.

I've got 2 turn tables and a microphone. Think that will be ok?

Honestly I don't see Ohio becoming a nightmarish hellscape like LA/San Francisco/NYC/Chicago might turn into. But who knows.

Edited by what
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, what said:

Honestly I don't see Ohio becoming a nightmarish hellscape like LA/San Francisco/NYC/Chicago might turn into. But who knows.

I don't think it will either. And even in those places I haven't heard of civil unrest.

This virus sucks. I wanted zombies.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, what said:

I think I read that crime is down overall, but commercial break-ins are up.

But yeah, once people start having to go without food in major metro areas, things will get ugly quick.

Crime is up around here... 

I have my frying pan and spatula ready.

3 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I don't think it will either. And even in those places I haven't heard of civil unrest.

This virus sucks. I wanted zombies.

If the food supply chain starts to break down, that's where things will start escalating quickly. Mobs of angry people with nothing to lose get violent real fast.

21 minutes ago, what said:

If the food supply chain starts to break down, that's where things will start escalating quickly. Mobs of angry people with nothing to lose get violent real fast.

Maybe the people involved in the recent nationwide gun buying frenzy are onto something. Judging from hundreds of posts, it seems as if many members of this forum (myself included) are gun owners. Though I sold all of my "assault weapons" a year or two ago, I kept those designed for home defense.

Edited by SpecialEd

People are peeking in windows and knocking on doors around here.. All hours. Vandalism is up as well. 

Working from home has its good points. I keep my eyes open and frying pan handy.... And a few knives.. For making and cutting sammiches.

Bored to tears today. Found this inane vid on YouTube which caused me to laugh pretty damn hard. If you decide to watch, please ensure the sound is up on your device. I posted it here instead on the vid thread because this thread is so popular right now. I was tempted to send this video to my students, but the language is problematic--and this is a large part of why it appeals to me.

Edited by SpecialEd

6 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I just ordered a 12 ft inflatable pool for my patio. 

That's where I"ll be drinking bourbon for the rest of this quarantine.  Now to find some floating drink holders.

28131_inuse_2016_web_39__97804.154163736

I certainly hope that you have found a way to heat the water until the weather becomes warmer, although the bourbon should take the edge off. Also, you should look into one of those floating waterproof radios.

13 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

I certainly hope that you have found a way to heat the water until the weather becomes warmer, although the bourbon should take the edge off. Also, you should look into one of those floating waterproof radios.

It came with a solar cover.  It's about 1600 gallons... figure I can dump a few 5 gallon buckets of hot water into it before I get in 😀

5 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

It came with a solar cover.  It's about 1600 gallons... figure I can dump a few 5 gallon buckets of hot water into it before I get in 😀

Good on 'ya. I'm jealous. The radio, though . . . or maybe your one of those who relish the quiet. The older I get, the more quiet I need. However, I recall that you have a few young kids living in your house; maybe more bourbon and forget the radio.

Edited by SpecialEd

24 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Interesting, but going to need more than unnamed sources and Fox News.

There's a lot of info relating to that lab floating around, and a good bit of it is pretty sketchy. Hard to tell if China would allow any damning info to get out if this actually was caused by a lab accident. Regardless of the truth though, this should really highlight the need for strict controls and oversight on bio engineering and pathogen research. There was a new story not long ago about some PLA officers posing as grad students getting caught with vials of live virus randomly thrown in their suitcase and carry-on luggage trying to fly back to China from the US. Their destination was Wuhan, go figure.

Forgot to mention their co-conspirator, the chair of bio chemistry at Harvard.

**source: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/harvard-university-professor-and-two-chinese-nationals-charged-three-separate-china-related

Edited by what
  • Upvote 1