Cancer:  558,000
Drug Overdoses in the US:  70,000
Estimated common flu SO FAR this year:  29,000
Estimated common flu for the whole year:  59,000
Estimated from pneumonia this year:  49,000
Estimated from auto accidents this year:  33,000
Total US COVID-19 deaths as of April 5:  9,528

Well, this post didn't age very well.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-now-killing-more-americans-than-cancer-heart-disease-report

On 3/20/2020 at 1:40 PM, motocat12 said:

What's the difference between a ventilator and a cpap machine (when you have a shortage)?

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/08/doctors-say-ventilators-overused-for-covid-19/

" In particular, more and more are concerned about the use of intubation and mechanical ventilators. They argue that more patients could receive simpler, noninvasive respiratory support, such as the breathing masks used in sleep apnea, at least to start with and maybe for the duration of the illness."

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

I’m not going to assert that the response has been overblown, but it has been very much based on fear and speculation. 

The fact is that there isn’t enough data to support that the measures taken have been absolutely necessary. 

I’m not horribly inconvenienced or financially impacted, but i’m Guessing the folks who are will be mighty pissed off if we come to learn that closing so many things and laying off so many people was indeed an overreaction. 

Again, i’m Not pretending to know.  The governor, etc. is/are.

that bothers me.  They’re utilizing fear as a means of control.  That bothers me.  Millions of people are going to be financially ruined for the better part of the next decade.  That bothers me.  We’re restricting the freedom of 100% of the country to preserve the lives of 1% and being told it’s for the greater good.  That bothers me.

i would like additional data to support the projections on which these measures are being based.  The most recent article i read says that confirmed testing might be only accounting for as little as 6% of cases, meaning the lethality rate, and even the occurrence of severe symptoms could be far far lower than we’re being scared into believing.

again, “might.”  I’m not advocating making any sweeping changes without more data  

The words right out of my mouth. 

19 hours ago, Tonik said:

The primary problem we have is lack of testing. It is deplorable. Countries all over the world are buying test kits from South Korea. Why are we not doing the same?

Sounds like California is going to start rolling out antibody test sites this week. Hopefully Ohio follows. I'll be the first one in line to donate blood if it turns out I have the antibodies.

As far as everything else goes, NYC is a good gauge on what happens if things are left to their own devices and no measures are taken. Yes, the population density there is higher and the public transit system also plays a large role, but people would get sick regardless the way this thing spreads. Mortality is somewhere between 3% and 10% depending on where you look. Places that get hit hard and don't have the medical facilities to handle the load are at or above a 10% mortality rate, which is horrific given the number of people this can/will infect. Keep in mind, 1% of the US population is still 3,300,000 people.

Edited by what
maths is hard
  • Upvote 1

Our health care system cannot cope with this outbreak as it is. If we had not taken the drastic measures we have, we would be in trouble. Time is still against us in this. Don't go counting your chickens just yet, guys. 

This all seems excessive because it is working. The spread seems minimal because it is working. Mother Nature is 100% in charge, but this would look a lot worse if we didn't take action. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, what said:

Sounds like California is going to start rolling out antibody test sites this week. Hopefully Ohio follows. I'll be the first one in line to donate blood if it turns out I have the antibodies.

As far as everything else goes, NYC is a good gauge on what happens if things are left to their own devices and no measures are taken. Yes, the population density there is higher and the public transit system also plays a large role, but people would get sick regardless the way this thing spreads. Mortality is somewhere between 3% and 10% depending on where you look. Places that get hit hard and don't have the medical facilities to handle the load are at or above a 10% mortality rate, which is horrific given the number of people this can/will infect. Keep in mind, 1% of the US population is still 330,000 people. That's more than the entire population of Cincinnati dead if the mortality was only 1% and covid was left to do whatever it wanted with no steps to intervene.

1% of 330 million is 3.3 million, which is 10x worse. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Connie14 said:

1% of 330 million is 3.3 million, which is 10x worse. 

I'd blame something other than stupidity, but no. I just made the same mistake as NASA and forgot a decimal point.

Seems my blood isn't acceptable because I didn't get tested. Dang. If only there were a way to figure out if there are antibodies present...

https://www.nbc4i.com/community/health/coronavirus/new-ohio-state-research-uses-plasma-from-recovered-coronavirus-patients-for-treatment/

Edited by what
added article link

For what it's worth, this is my journal entry for today. Read it or don't.

Madness
14 April
    There is now talk among those who know suggesting that we should all wear masks while out in public for the next year or so. The “president” is continuing to have melt-downs and is saying really stupid and, to most normal people, truly regrettable things during his daily pressers. The latest was yesterday, when he foolishly bellowed that “the president has absolute authority.” Our Great Leader also is suggesting that Dr. Fauci might be next in the long line of government officials he has indiscriminately fired. Idiots are protesting in front of the Ohio statehouse, insisting that the virus is a hoax and calling for the state to open back up for business. Signs from the picket line indicate that many protesters would also like Dr. Acton to “please go away.” People (mostly women, oddly enough) have been arrested for licking and coughing on grocery items in stores. A woman was recently caught trying on jewelry, licking it, and placing it back on the display rack. An eighteen-year-old Florida girl posted on social media that she had coronavirus and was “spreading it willingly.” She was tracked down and jailed. A pastor somewhere in the south told his parishioners that “God was bigger than the coronavirus”, and expressed that he was not afraid of death. The virus killed him. COVID survivors are haunted by memories of their vivid, fever-driven visitations from long-dead relatives. One man who appeared on the evening news last night said that while he was fighting the disease, he often found himself wondering if he had died already. “Live” daytime talk shows are being rerun. It was startling at first to see large studio audiences, guests, and on-air hosts sitting inches away from each other until the realization hit that they were discussing topics from a year ago. An American astronaut returning from a recent space mission said that she felt more isolated back on Earth than she did when she was orbiting hundreds of miles above us, adding that she found it “difficult to live without hugs.” New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s brother Chris, who is recovering from COVID-19 while isolated in the basement of his family’s rented home for the past three weeks, tearfully told CNN that he was “sick of being sick” and desperately wants to return to his job as a reporter. The sun shines brightly this morning. The birds sing carelessly.

The scientists said we cannot know exactly how to respond. Every day was a potential new battle plan. History is dictating our moves because it is the only thing we have with factual evidence, versus anecdotal. There is no way to know how effective our measures are, because this is a biological threat to which there are no emergency response manuals. 

The reason behind the social distancing efforts and mandatory closures is too alleviate the burden to our health care system and responders, because we can quickly be overrun with sick Americans that will be turned away from medical care due to a lack thereof. 

24 minutes ago, snot said:

People are starving and crime is on the rise.... It's the start of most horror movies...

At this pace riots are next....

I think I read that crime is down overall, but commercial break-ins are up.

But yeah, once people start having to go without food in major metro areas, things will get ugly quick.

1 hour ago, what said:

I think I read that crime is down overall, but commercial break-ins are up.

But yeah, once people start having to go without food in major metro areas, things will get ugly quick.

I'm prepared to defend what's mine. Hope you are too.