Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

No, the fact that it goes bad....gets out of date.

Usually has a sell by date 2 weeks after you buy it. Usually still good for about a week after that date. I'm still working and there is a drive though on my way home that sells milk and bread so that's my back up plan.

Also almond milk keeps for months and it's not bad. I use it in my protein shakes. I get the unsweeten vanilla, pretty close to 1 or 2 percent milk in taste.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, motocat12 said:

How long do you plan for? We haven't hit the worst yet.

I'm not going out because I'm likely infected. I have likely been infected since 3/16 or before. I've been pretty much recovered for about a week but I still have very very minor symptoms. I'm hoping the symptoms will be gone in the next 2 or 3 days, then I'll wait another 3 days after symptoms are gone before I can go out. On day 18 of being indoors currently.

So more than likely 23 to 25 days of being isolated.

The good news is I can pretty much go wherever after I leave with a lot less worry. I'll still be taking precautions because I'm not 100% that what I have is corona (can't get tested) and it's not 100% that people can't be re-infected, especially considering I technically have an auto-immune disorder (vitiligo). The first place I will be going is the grocery store to stock back up on things. I still have probably 3 or 4 weeks worth of food at my place though, currently.

Edited by what

9 minutes ago, what said:

I'm not going out because I'm likely infected. I have likely been infected since 3/16 or before. I've been pretty much recovered for about a week but I still have very very minor symptoms. I'm hoping the symptoms will be gone in the next 2 or 3 days, then I'll wait another 3 days after symptoms are gone before I can go out. On day 18 of being indoors currently.

So more than likely 23 to 25 days of being isolated.

The good news is I can pretty much go wherever after I leave with a lot less worry. I'll still be taking precautions because I'm not 100% that what I have is corona (can't get tested) and it's not 100% that people can't be re-infected, especially considering I technically have an auto-immune disorder (vitiligo). The first place I will be going is the grocery store to stock back up on things. I still have probably 3 or 4 weeks worth of food at my place though, currently.

Did you have that breathing trouble that many are reporting, and do you have an idea of where you were likely exposed to the virus?

45 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

Did you have that breathing trouble that many are reporting, and do you have an idea of where you were likely exposed to the virus?

My first day of respiratory symptoms came with a tiny bit of chest pressure, a sore throat and a cough. The chest pressure was gone after the first day but cough and sore throat persisted. I was also extremely tired off and on, falling asleep at 3 or 4pm and sleeping for 16+ hours. That was week 1. Week 2 I thought I was finally getting better, but that Monday I woke up with pain in my lungs, and a really bad tickle behind my sternum/in my chest, I couldn't stop coughing. That tapered off over about 3 days and the only lingering symptom I have left is the tickle behind my sternum, but it's hardly noticeable at this point.

I've not had a stuffy nose and none of my coughing has produced anything (dry cough). The lung pain felt almost like a cold burning sensation, it was kind of strange. It was deep in my lungs and felt like the entirety of them as well. Can't say I've felt that before. The chest pressure on day 1 felt like I had a cat sitting on my chest. Light pressure, no real difficulty breathing just uncomfortable. If it hadn't gone away by the 2nd day or had gotten any worse I probably would have gone to the hospital. I had chills and night sweats in week 2 as well, though only for the first 2 days when the lung pain was going on.

My symptoms started with digestive issues 2 or 3 days before the onset of respiratory symptoms. I thought maybe I had eaten something that didn't agree with me, but in hindsight I realized that probably wasn't the case.

I never really had a verifiable fever. The highest temperature I got was a 98.8. My average temperature has been between 96.6 and 97.7 degrees. That's taking my temperature 3 times a day since 3/10. I haven't broken 98 degrees since the 98.8 degree reading on day 2 of respiratory symptoms.

As far as exposure goes, I have a few theories. They break down like this:

1. Work - I work in events and come in contact with a lot of people, all the time. I work in highly trafficked areas, all over the place. My co-workers also come in contact with people, fly around a lot and do work in highly trafficked areas like conventions centers, hotels, hostpitals, etc. We all sit very close to one another at our desks with no separation, when we are in the office. We had people flying in and out of NYC the weeks of 3/2 and 3/9. We also had people flying to/from Vegas and Orlando in that same timeframe, with layovers in other airports.
  2. The gas station next to my office - The case at the nursing home in Hilliard that has been in the news is right behind the office I work at. The last place I stopped to get gas was at the gas station right next to this nursing home. Staff brought the virus into the nursing home as early as 3/10, they think. I may have used the same gas pump as one of those people.
  3. The grocery store, CVS, any other common area I stopped at - these are all high risk areas due to the foot traffic and people's general disregard for hygiene. I wouldn't be surprised if I caught this at the kroger behind my apartment.
Edited by what

11 minutes ago, what said:

My first day of respiratory symptoms came with a tiny bit of chest pressure, a sore throat and a cough. The chest pressure was gone after the first day but cough and sore throat persisted. I was also extremely tired off and on, falling asleep at 3 or 4pm and sleeping for 16+ hours. That was week 1. Week 2 I thought I was finally getting better, but that Monday I woke up with pain in my lungs, and a really bad tickle behind my sternum/in my chest, I couldn't stop coughing. That tapered off over about 3 days and the only lingering symptom I have left is the tickle behind my sternum, but it's hardly noticeable at this point.

I've not had a stuffy nose and none of my coughing has produced anything (dry cough). The lung pain felt almost like a cold burning sensation, it was kind of strange. It was deep in my lungs and felt like the entirety of them as well. Can't say I've felt that before. The chest pressure on day 1 felt like I had a cat sitting on my chest. Light pressure, no real difficulty breathing just uncomfortable. If it hadn't gone away by the 2nd day or had gotten any worse I probably would have gone to the hospital. I had chills and night sweats in week 2 as well, though only for the first 2 days when the lung pain was going on.

My symptoms started with digestive issues 2 or 3 days before the onset of respiratory symptoms. I thought maybe I had eaten something that didn't agree with me, but in hindsight I realized that probably wasn't the case.

I never really had a verifiable fever. The highest temperature I got was a 98.8. My average temperature has been between 96.6 and 97.7 degrees. That's taking my temperature 3 times a day since 3/10. I haven't broken 98 degrees since the 98.8 degree reading on day 2 of respiratory symptoms.

1. Work - I work in events and come in contact with a lot of people, all the time. I work in highly trafficked areas, all over the place. My co-workers also come in contact with people, fly around a lot and do work in highly trafficked areas like conventions centers, hotels, hostpitals, etc. We all sit very close to one another at our desks with no separation, when we are in the office. We had people flying in and out of NYC the weeks of 3/2 and 3/9. We also had people flying to/from Vegas and Orlando in that same timeframe, with layovers in other airports.
  2. The gas station next to my office - The case at the nursing home in Hilliard that has been in the news is right behind the office I work at. The last place I stopped to get gas was at the gas station right next to this nursing home. Staff brought the virus into the nursing home as early as 3/10, they think. I may have used the same gas pump as one of those people.
  3. The grocery store, CVS, any other common area I stopped at - these are all high risk areas due to the foot traffic and people's general disregard for hygiene. I wouldn't be surprised if I caught this at the kroger behind my apartment.

Did you have any appetite? Lose your sense of smell/taste?

36 minutes ago, what said:

Sounds exactly like me back in late Feb. My symptoms only lasted about a week. 

For milk the ultra-pasteurized stuff, usually organic in 1/2 gallon cardboard carton, has a refrigerated shelf life of 60-90 days. A little expensive if you use alot but prices at Costco is reasonable for families like mine that use about 1gal/week. 

However we are just using reasonable precautions and doing once weekly grocery runs.  

1 hour ago, what said:

I had the same symptoms for 3-4 weeks around Christmas...except no digestive stuff, but I did have a fever for 3-4 days.  It wasn't awful, just annoying and wouldn't go away.   It was diagnosed as an upper respiratory infection at the time, and I was told it would clear eventually.

Looking back, I don't think it was COVID.  My gf (who would be considered high risk) had similar symptoms a few weeks later, but the kids never had symptoms.

Hard to know for sure without tests.  

47 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I had the same symptoms for 3-4 weeks around Christmas...except no digestive stuff, but I did have a fever for 3-4 days.  It wasn't awful, just annoying and wouldn't go away.   It was diagnosed as an upper respiratory infection at the time, and I was told it would clear eventually.

Looking back, I don't think it was COVID.  My gf (who would be considered high risk) had similar symptoms a few weeks later, but the kids never had symptoms.

This flu/cold was going around in late December, I had it out in New Mexico the week after Christmas.

What I've had the last 3 weeks is different and overall has been less severe for me. I plan to get an antibody test as soon as they become available.

1 hour ago, SpecialEd said:

Did you have any appetite? Lose your sense of smell/taste?

Not really, but I don't eat much anyway.

Keep in mind that people don't get all symptoms they describe. A person can have one, two, three, all of them or none of them with covid-19. A friend of mine that lives in Miami who tested positive had very similar symptoms on a very similar timeline. He is probably 4 or 5 days ahead of me and is considered recovered. That would put him at around 23 to 25 days from start to finish. His case was mild as well, most of the time it was just a lingering tickle in his chest and cough, like I have now.

Edited by what

45 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Yeah, me too. Mine came the first week of March--chest pressure, fever, etc., but I had a great appetite. Fevers lasted about 3 days, then just coughing. I was fine after about 10 days.

6 hours ago, Tonik said:

How is everyone handling milk? Just saying f' milk?

Bought shelf stable milk. A bunch. Won't last forever, but will last a long time warm and longer cold. Find it in the coffee/tea isle with the powdered milk. And powdered milk lasts a very long time. Also picked up dehydrated eggs. Those will be an experimental learning experience, to use it in cooking. Like baking bread. Things are happening slower or later here. A trip to the local grocery yesterday in the pouring rain, I found most stuff in stock with purchase limits, but no canned vegetables, canned fruit, and all the bread was gone. Your results will vary, my area is basically small town /county / rural. Won't be going back till it's over.

Edited by ReconRat

29 minutes ago, CJ74U2NV said:

NPR did a story on this phenomenon back in early February of this year. The situation this company finds itself in is not surprising at all given the facts presented in the story, but it is a matter of business scalability--if foreign producers were not in the supply chain, the owner of the US company mentioned in this article could have ramped up production and kept it there, relying on buyers' loyalty. Because of the sudden demand, however, it appears that hospitals were forced to source these masks overseas. There just wasn't time for the US companies to scale up and meet domestic demand. This is a tragedy. There is the price difference, but I don't think that mattered to buyers--they just wanted the masks ASAP.

Edited by SpecialEd

9 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

To clarify, By decline  I meant % growth of new cases, overall numbers still slow climb. But the onslaught seems to have slowed down 

Wait wut? Ohio Health in Columbus said they expect "The Surge" next week. Telling all the employees to be prepared. 

Went out early this AM to get some stuff I've been needing, laundry detergent and got more groceries right when giant eagle opened. I shouldnt have to go anywhere but work and home for the next 2 weeks,

Maybe the occasional mtb trail.

When is TP gate going to end? While out Sunday and stopped at a small town store yesterday to grab a couple forgotten items I looked in the TP isle. I would have bought some if there but the shelves were still bare. We are probably good for a couple more weeks at my house and my old man said he's got a few to spare us, so not a rush for any. But where is it all going? Why are idiots still hoard buying it? I mean people literally have to have rooms and garages full of it by now. Just make zero sense. I don't think I've bought any since early January. We usally buy one of the biggest packs they sell and will last us months between the three of us. I do most of my goings while at work anyway. 

13 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

NPR did a story on this phenomenon back in early February of this year. The situation this company finds itself in is not surprising at all given the facts presented in the story, but it is a matter of business scalability--if foreign producers were not in the supply chain, the owner of the US company mentioned in this article could have ramped up production and kept it there, relying on buyers' loyalty. Because of the sudden demand, however, it appears that hospitals were forced to source these masks overseas. There just wasn't time for the US companies to scale up and meet domestic demand. This is a tragedy. There is the price difference, but I don't think that mattered to buyers--they just wanted the masks ASAP.

I'm not sure you read it thoroughly.  

American company makes medical masks.  American made masks cost more due to wages and regulatory costs.  Hospitals like to buy Chinese masks because they're cheap.  Slave labor and communist government subsidies do that.  H1N1 drives demand sky high.  American company ramps up production very quickly to make masks because American hospitals promise to keep buying them from American company.  After H1N1 subsides, American hospitals renege and only buy from cheap suppliers like Chinese.  American company gets to lay off workers from two shifts and now has to pay unemployment cost because of broken promises.  American company is tired of getting screwed over by American hospitals and basically says "I want a contract or you can pound sand".  Now hospitals are pounding sand.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CJ74U2NV said:

I'm not sure you read it thoroughly.  

American company makes medical masks.  American made masks cost more due to wages and regulatory costs.  Hospitals like to buy Chinese masks because they're cheap.  Slave labor and communist government subsidies do that.  H1N1 drives demand sky high.  American company ramps up production very quickly to make masks because American hospitals promise to keep buying them from American company.  After H1N1 subsides, American hospitals renege and only buy from cheap suppliers like Chinese.  American company gets to lay off workers from two shifts and now has to pay unemployment cost because of broken promises.  American company is tired of getting screwed over by American hospitals and basically says "I want a contract or you can pound sand".  Now hospitals are pounding sand.  

Your analysis is better than mine! I scanned the story while drinking and doing paperwork at home. Good thing my response was not a graded assignment. 

Edited by SpecialEd

9 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

dewine did a lot of things right at the right time despite a lot of people denouncing him and  sentencing him to the stake 

People who are infected with COVID19 and survive (97-98 percent by current stats) are immune and their bodies kill the virus.  That's a fact.
Do you know that most children have mild to no symptoms from COVID19?  That's a fact.  

So why close schools to when kids will then essentially become virus killers.  You'll say "they'll bring it home to sickly grandma who will die" but that can happen next month as well because the kids haven't been exposed yet to build immunity.  All the spring breakers that caught it this year are examples.  If any of them died, I'm certain the media would have been all over it.  Now those kid's bodies will destroy the virus if they get it again.  

Average annual US deaths from:
Heart Disease:  647,000
Cancer:  558,000
Drug Overdoses in the US:  70,000
Estimated common flu SO FAR this year:  29,000
Estimated common flu for the whole year:  59,000
Estimated from pneumonia this year:  49,000
Estimated from auto accidents this year:  33,000
Total US COVID-19 deaths as of April 5:  9,528

People say "if it saves just one life"........  Death is tragic, death is sad and many times death could have been prevented.  But death is the inevitable end of every life.  It happens every day on much larger scales yet we ignore it or grieve it and move on.  We don't shut down entire economies over it.  This is scare driven by the media.  Why are people hoarding?  Because it's in the media.  We hear about every obscure c-list celebrity that has died from complications to COVID19.  We never hear about the 98% that survive, many with little to no symptoms.  People get the sniffles and rush to be put on ventilators that they don't need.  Hospitals can't handle the demand (for profit hospitals are more concerned with making a buck anyways but that's another story).  Common sense has completely left the building.

• Beer 1

Uh... I am doing what the scientists standing next to Captain Kangaroo and Governor DeWine told me to do. I don't watch the news. 

Also, I am amused that you are quoting and correcting a physician. 

Edited by Pauly