Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

20 minutes ago, durk said:

That’s because their mommy’s and daddy’s drive them everywhere and do everything for them. I told both my girls they had no choice but to get their license. I’m not carting there butts everywhere. 

Most of the kids I was in college with didn't have their licenses, 10 to 14 years ago. The decline has only gotten more dramatic since then.

22 minutes ago, durk said:

That’s because their mommy’s and daddy’s drive them everywhere and do everything for them. I told both my girls they had no choice but to get their license. I’m not carting there butts everywhere. 

True dat. I guess they don't want the freedom.

3 minutes ago, what said:

Most of the kids I was in college with didn't have their licenses, 10 to 14 years ago. The decline has only gotten more dramatic since then.

College kids?? I don't understand that at all. Weird.

A lot of it is insurance prices. I've talked to some of the parents of my kids friends and they just said they flat out could not afford it. I is pricey now days i about shit when I added the kids to the plan. 

Just now, 2talltim said:

A lot of it is insurance prices. I've talked to some of the parents of my kids friends and they just said they flat out could not afford it. I is pricey now days i about shit when I added the kids to the plan. 

increased car prices  also make insurance cost more.

Yeah. I'm mid 30's with a flawless driving record and a 13 year old car, my rates are still like $1200/yr for insurance. It makes no sense. I can't imagine what it would be having points on my license or a history of wrecks. My 2016 R1 is worth more than my car, has better coverage and costs the same per month for insurance 😅

Edited by what

Okay I have to have this conversation here because I can't on my social media because I'll butt hurt people that matter. You assholes don't matter.

This in no way taking away from any of those medical workers out there on the front lines of this thing or the ones that are willing to do what it take when ever and where ever it takes to combat this thing.   But the new catch phrase amongst the medical profession community is "I'm immune compromised" And what they mean by that is they can't work the front lines of this thing because they say they have some kind of auto immune disorder or asthma or what ever. If that's true I understand and have sympathy for those. BUT, now techs, nurses, aids, ect , ect you name it. Are all coming out of the wood work claiming they can't work in the ER or sick floors basically saying they can't work where the Convid-19 patients are because they are "immunely compromised"  Now myself and others around me have heard this term passed around for a few weeks now and have up to this point just rolled our eyes and said "fuck it, they don't want to work they don't have to work I guess" and just figured shame on them. An mind you most of the ones(not all) that I'm talking about there is a pretty good chance there is little to nothing wrong with them. They are just saying these things to get out of working the front lines out of nothing more than fear, that pretty much the rest of us share about this whole thing.  But now, now it's being taken to a new level. There is word that some of these folks are trying to claim this/that as a medical disability so they can get out of working during this outbreak and still get paid. 

My over all view of all this is. Maybe if your scared of catching a disease or illness working in the field of medicine maybe you made the wrong career choice? Maybe even the ones that truly are immune compromised choose the wrong career? Assuming that they already knew they had that issue from the start. Now don't get me wrong. I'm sure there are legit cases and scenarios but I more or less speaking of the ones that see this as an excuse or easy way out just because they are scared. We all are. 

Thoughts? Lettuce discuss.  

download.jpg.34b582ad3df229bb89fde63c7812447a.jpg

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Okay I have to have this conversation here because I can't on my social media because I'll butt hurt people that matter. You assholes don't matter.

This in no way taking away from any of those medical workers out there on the front lines of this thing or the ones that are willing to do what it take when ever and where ever it takes to combat this thing.   But the new catch phrase amongst the medical profession community is "I'm immune compromised" And what they mean by that is they can't work the front lines of this thing because they say they have some kind of auto immune disorder or asthma or what ever. If that's true I understand and have sympathy for those. BUT, now techs, nurses, aids, ect , ect you name it. Are all coming out of the wood work claiming they can't work in the ER or sick floors basically saying they can't work where the Convid-19 patients are because they are "immunely compromised"  Now myself and others around me have heard this term passed around for a few weeks now and have up to this point just rolled our eyes and said "fuck it, they don't want to work they don't have to work I guess" and just figured shame on them. An mind you most of the ones(not all) that I'm talking about there is a pretty good chance there is little to nothing wrong with them. They are just saying these things to get out of working the front lines out of nothing more than fear, that pretty much the rest of us share about this whole thing.  But now, now it's being taken to a new level. There is word that some of these folks are trying to claim this/that as a medical disability so they can get out of working during this outbreak and still get paid. 

My over all view of all this is. Maybe if your scared of catching a disease or illness working in the field of medicine maybe you made the wrong career choice? Maybe even the ones that truly are immune compromised choose the wrong career? Assuming that they already knew they had that issue from the start. Now don't get me wrong. I'm sure there are legit cases and scenarios but I more or less speaking of the ones that see this as an excuse or easy way out just because they are scared. We all are. 

Thought? Lettuce discuss.  

After reading this morning about the ultra chaotic conditions in a New York hospital, I found myself wondering just how many of these frontline workers were so terrified of the goings on around them that they are considering getting out of this side of healthcare, if not the entire industry. I'm sure I would have been one of those. No job (or "calling" as many practitioners refer to their job) is worth one's life--is it? What value is sacrificing one's self when it could have been prevented? Is the pay even worth it? This whole situation reminds me of the Chernobyl tragedy, where so many workers placed themselves in harm's way in mitigating (or trying to mitigate) a terrible situation while facing almost certain death. 

Nothing wrong with changing jobs and/or careers, and I don't blame some of the folks you mention who are trying to bullshit their way out of a dangerous assigment or duty. It looks cowardly--no, it IS cowardly--but it's not wrong. Those who are paralyzed by fear should get out of the way so they can be replaced by those who are ready and able to help as asked. This may be a "war," but civilian healthcare work is not military service.

The whole mess is complicated even further by the well-publicized lack of tools to do the job safely--PPE, vents, gowns, gloves, etc. If you would stay on the front line, readers, please let me know why. As I indicated earlier, I certainly wouldn't.

Edited by SpecialEd
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Thoughts? Lettuce discuss.  

Maybe they are maybe they aren't. Can't force people to do a job they don't want to do. Who knows what their situation is as well, it could be that they live with someone at high risk and don't wan to bring it home to them. It sucks there are staff shortages, but that's the way things go, especially when people are facing their own mortality or the mortality of their loved ones.

23 minutes ago, what said:

Maybe they are maybe they aren't. Can't force people to do a job they don't want to do. Who knows what their situation is as well, it could be that they live with someone at high risk and don't wan to bring it home to them. It sucks there are staff shortages, but that's the way things go, especially when people are facing their own mortality or the mortality of their loved ones.

Yes those are huge factors but there is also the ones that want their cake and eat it too so to speak. Want patted on the back because they are a nurse and essential and taking in all the praise and thank you(s) when thrown their way. But when told "your cush office job isn't essential we will need you in the ER when they get over run" and their response is " oh yea , well I've got this thing, sorry can't help, but i'm still getting paid right?" And when ask what that thing was the answer was "I have asthma". 

That may or may not been a actual example of someones coworker ;) 

Edited by 2talltim

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

And when ask what that thing was the answer was "I have asthma". 

The question is, do they have asthma or not? Because if they do that and Covid is some very serious shit.

If people were working desk jobs and then are asked to mop up gore in operating theaters due to a shortage of staff, I won't blame them for not wanting to mop. Everyone has a set expectation of what their job entails when the start. If they want to help out and that help is not part of their usual day to day responsibilities, that's wonderful and they should be commended. If they don't, then that's fine too.

If someone is truly worried about catching this, to the point where they are going to work every day and fearing death, then decide it is in their best interest to just not go to work, again, I can't fault them. It's their choice. Congratulating them for being heroes or whatever, who cares. They will know whether or not they made a difference or did anything worth praising. If being called a hero comes with benefits and people who did not participate are taking advantage - it doesn't as far as I know - obviously that's an immoral thing to do, but again, you can't force people to do work they do not want to do. Unless you're a brutal dictatorship that threatens the lives of entire families if you don't capitulate.

Edited by what

Looks as if all of us who have responded so far are of like mind. I know I speak for all of you when I say, despite our opinions, we are grateful toward our first responders and to the medical community. Not a job I would want to have. We are all different, and those who risk their lives for us are drawn to these callings--many, I feel certain, not for the money, either.

People pretty much run the gamut from hero to loser.  No reason to think that the population in the medical field is any different than what you run across in the office.

My sister is a retired Respiratory Tech.  Left about a year ago...basically burned out.  She's just a couple years younger than me, so 68 yo.

She was telling me she's strongly considering going back to answer the call during this crisis to help out.  Not all are of the same mindset.

Not sure I would do that if I were in her shoes.  There will always those who run toward the trouble...and those who run the other way.

Edited by Bubba

32 minutes ago, Bubba said:

There will always those who run toward the trouble...and those who run the other way.

Bubs, your sister IS a hero, and I'm not surprised at all that she volunteered to reenter the battlefield. That's the stuff many (if not most) medical people are made of. 

Just remember: there will always be doctors and nurses who graduated at the bottom of their cohort in med school. Pray you don't become one of their patients.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Do it on the social distancing conference call zoom group :lol:

Just don't get virtually drunk and cyberembarrass us. And ensure you stay at least six feet away from yourself.

Edited by SpecialEd

1 hour ago, SpecialEd said:

Just don't get virtually drunk and cyberembarrass us. And ensure you stay at least six feet away from yourself.

If you touch yourself wear a glove.... And wash your hands (be careful with sanitizer).

• Beer 1

To all those bitching about "going to work", try sitting in solitary confinement.

I got out today and went to work. It was great not sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours, a work computer.... Where they see if you are idle or working and have limited access... And can't modify anything because it is govt owned....

.... I need out of this tiny room more often.

1 hour ago, snot said:

To all those bitching about "going to work", try sitting in solitary confinement.

I got out today and went to work. It was great not sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours, a work computer.... Where they see if you are idle or working and have limited access... And can't modify anything because it is govt owned....

.... I need out of this tiny room more often.

No bitching here, i love and thankful to the fact my daily routine hasn't changed. Sorry your going through that Jen.