Mini prepping. (Covid-19 thread)

Tonik

1 minute ago, snot said:

So, it took 3 weeks not 14 days to show up?

This is the kind of information we are not getting.

On another note 18 people died this week from floods.

I think the take-away is that people should take all available measures to insulate themselves from exposure and passively exposing others. Dr. Acton said today that we should all internalize this and, for practical purposes, assume that everyone we encounter is either toxic or susceptible and act to minimize proximity. Pretty fackin' easy to do.

24 minutes ago, snot said:

So, it took 3 weeks not 14 days to show up?

This is the kind of information we are not getting.

On another note 18 people died this week from floods.

It's been out there for over a month at this point that the top end of the incubation period is 14-21 days. It's just not being discussed by our mainstream media. There are lots of things not being discussed by our mainstream media that probably should be. Here's an article from February 19th discussing a possible 21 day incubation period: https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/generalinfectiousdisease/84963

Here's a summary of possible incubation periods based on reports: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-incubation-period/

The longest reported is 27 days out of china - but again, how trustworthy is that number? Probably not very.

The biggest issues with this virus are:

• It can spread from asymptomatic people
  • It can live on surfaces for 2 to 7 days, depending on the surface
  • The incubation period varies widely, from a day or two up to nearly 3 weeks - this ties back to the asymptomatic transmission problem
  • Symptoms vary widely, from 0 symptoms (again, back to asymptomatic transmission), to very minor cold-like symptoms, to the worst flu someone has ever had, to dead within hours of onset of symptoms due to ARDS or other complications, including organ failure

NYC is having such a bad time right now because that city is literally set up to spread disease. Mass public transportation, mixed with heavy population density and a population that isn't very concerned with personal hygiene, is really a perfect storm situation for this virus to get out of control fast.

Edited by what

24 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

I think the take-away is that people should take all available measures to insulate themselves from exposure and passively exposing others. Dr. Acton said today that we should all internalize this and, for practical purposes, assume that everyone we encounter is either toxic or susceptible and act to minimize proximity. Pretty fackin' easy to do.

But then she said, check on the elderly and take them food and groceries.... Just pointing out the inconsistent direction...

I understand what she means, but that doesn't mean everyone else does.

Just now, snot said:

But then she said, check on the elderly and take them food and groceries.... Just pointing out the inconsistent direction...

I understand what she means, but that doesn't mean everyone else does.

Yes they should probably explain that those checking on the vulnerable need to do so with barriers in place and anybody dropping off supplies needs to make sure to take precautions against spreading the virus on the outside of the supplies. Spray the stuff down with isopropyl alcohol before leaving it on the doorstep, for example.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

https://people.com/health/washington-choir-members-die-after-rehearsal-amid-coronavirus-spread/

Here is a story about a terribly tragic occurrence that happened recently in our country. Stupid people who don't follow experts' rules pay the ultimate price. Totally unavoidable deaths and needless exponential exposure of the virus to others.

This isn't much different than my employer telling me that I'm "essential" and must report to work.  

I get to go to work tomorrow! Just for a day but I will enjoy being out of the house.

I hate working from home, I miss being able to get up and wonder around the buildings doing random "inspections".

I use to get 12k steps a day at work now I am lucky to 7k in a day. At this rate I will need bigger leathers.

21 minutes ago, Qman said:

This isn't much different than my employer telling me that I'm "essential" and must report to work.  

These dumb asses volunteered to attend choir rehearsal; they weren't ordered to go, according to the story.

• Beer 1

14 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

Hand-sanitizers with an alcohol content of at least 62% are considered effective by the CDC. Lysol is also approved as an effective surface disinfectant--this is what we use around our house. Parenthetically, DeWine and his team closed Ohio schools until May 1 this year during today's statehouse press briefing. I'm confident that this school year will effectively be over very soon.

FYI, My training has been that the ~70% alcohol solutions are more effective in killing microbes than the 100% alcohol.  Just trying to help.!

7 minutes ago, Qman said:

FYI, My training has been that the ~70% alcohol solutions are more effective in killing microbes than the 100% alcohol.  Just trying to help.!

Wow, that's seems odd; I wonder why? Soap and water are still touted as being the most effective solution. My hands have become pretty raw over the last few weeks.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Qman said:

Makes perfect sense now. Glad to have learned something while sitting at home, not working, and eating too much.

Edited by SpecialEd

3 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

World's quietest drag race. How weird is this??

If you aren't burning dead dinosaurs are you really having fun?

Yea yea I get the benefits to an electric motor. I've spent time behind the wheel of a tesla and it was fun with immediate torque.

I'll still have something that burns fossil fuels in my garage for funzies, personally.

7 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

If you aren't burning dead dinosaurs are you really having fun?

Yea yea I get the benefits to an electric motor. I've spent time behind the wheel of a tesla and it was fun with immediate torque.

I'll still have something that burns fossil fuels in my garage for funzies, personally.

I just have a really hard time imagining future teenagers and college kids getting excited about kilowatts instead of cubic inches. Plus, the absence of engine noise seems . . . I dunno, kinda boring.

24 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

I just have a really hard time imagining future teenagers and college kids getting excited about kilowatts instead of cubic inches. Plus, the absence of engine noise seems . . . I dunno, kinda boring.

Idk, the kids these days suck pretty bad already... :lol:

Maybe its me getting old but I'm pretty sure my generation didnt suck as much as these GenZ-ers

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, TimTheAzn said:

Idk, the kids these days suck pretty bad already... :lol:

Maybe its me getting old but I'm pretty sure my generation didnt suck as much as these GenX-ers

Oh no, I can assure you you are absolutely right. I see it every freaking day at school. That's one reason why it's so great that we don't live forever.

1 hour ago, SpecialEd said:

Electric will be easier to work on/modify/shoehorn into different applications. Especially once price vs capacity becomes more affordable.

1 minute ago, what said:

Electric will be easier to work on/modify/shoehorn into different applications. Especially once price vs capacity becomes more affordable.

I'm sure that's true, plus the current generation of kids will be coming of age with this new technology instead of the muscle cars we were enamored with at their age. They will geek out on electric vehicles. The big block Chevelles, Mustangs, and Firebirds from the 70s probably are looked upon as dinosaurs by anyone under 21 years old now.

8 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

I'm sure that's true, plus the current generation of kids will be coming of age with this new technology instead of the muscle cars we were enamored with at their age. They will geek out on electric vehicles. The big block Chevelles, Mustangs, and Firebirds from the 70s probably are looked upon as dinosaurs by anyone under 21 years old now.

Ever seen iRobot? I'm gonna be Will Smith minus the Chucks.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

They already do by and large. Vehicle ownership is way way down in the 18-36 year old demographic.

6 hours ago, what said:

They already do by and large. Vehicle ownership is way way down in the 18-36 year old demographic.

Oddly enough, many of the kids I talk with couldn't care less about getting their first driver's license.

10 hours ago, what said:

4 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

Oddly enough, many of the kids I talk with couldn't care less about getting their first driver's license.

That’s because their mommy’s and daddy’s drive them everywhere and do everything for them. I told both my girls they had no choice but to get their license. I’m not carting there butts everywhere. 

• Upvote 1